Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1201


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Gork View Post
    Hybrid sleep has been enabled by default on every Win7 and Win8/.1 installation I have performed.
    Has this been the default regardless as to whether it was a laptop or desktop? I'm just asking because all of mine have been desktops and I can't really recall the original defaults.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1202


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    +Gork. Using a sniffer is about as down and dirty as it gets. That's a deeper dive from anything else I've seen here. That type of analysis could actually lead to determining the root cause. Few have the equipment and knowledge to work at that level.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1203


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    @BazzaG - interested to hear of your experience with those reg changes.
    I'm not sure I'm going to have any results, right now my PC is again refusing to sleep, I'm back to last week. I've not made any changes to my PC other than to import the extra registry entries to add the System unattended sleep timeout option.

    I even did a reset to defaults (which did not remove the new options), rebooted my PC, logged into windows & then did NOTHING. 10 mins later the monitor powered off but after 30 mins the PC wouldn't go into sleep.

    I don't know windows well enough to be able to diagnose the issue. It would be nice if windows would write a event log record as to why it wouldn't go to sleep. Whenever, I've run powercfg /requests it's always come back with NONE for everything.

    To be honest, I've had enough. I feel like I'm just bashing my head against a brick wall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1204


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    @Ncguy: I was aware of the sleep states. In power options, you can set the computer to transition from sleep into hibernation state after a certain time. That has been my setup for years. Unforunately that transition does not seem to work reliably anymore with the PC rebooting or just waking up instead of going from sleep to hibernate. I was hoping for any on sorting this out. (Where to look in event logs etc for the culprit driver, etc)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1205


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve06 View Post
    @Ncguy: I was aware of the sleep states. In power options, you can set the computer to transition from sleep into hibernation state after a certain time. That has been my setup for years. Unforunately that transition does not seem to work reliably anymore with the PC rebooting or just waking up instead of going from sleep to hibernate. I was hoping for any on sorting this out. (Where to look in event logs etc for the culprit driver, etc)
    Sorry, I didn't even know you could do that but I rarely use any hibernation. I haven't noticed anyone here with that particular issue but it certainly seems related to the main topic.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1206


    Posts : 50
    Win8.1-64 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Has this been the default regardless as to whether it was a laptop or desktop? ... Few have the equipment and knowledge to work at that level.
    Sorry, desktop. I've never installed post XP-32 to a laptop.

    I just use a free packet sniffer and can't pretend to be a pro. I am just a decent dabbler with interest and tenacity.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1207


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Gork View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Has this been the default regardless as to whether it was a laptop or desktop? ... Few have the equipment and knowledge to work at that level.
    Sorry, desktop. I've never installed post XP-32 to a laptop.

    I just use a free packet sniffer and can't pretend to be a pro. I am just a decent dabbler with interest and tenacity.
    Interesting. My desktop doesn't show hybrid as an option. Maybe the bios has to be set.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1208


    Posts : 8
    windows 8.1


    @BazzaG-

    Sorry to say but your computer will never sleep as long as your USB3 is enabled. You have the exact same USB 3.0 hardware as I do. I experienced the same issues as you do. My HTPC started sleeping when I went into the BIOS and disabled USB3. Before that it would go to sleep only to be awoken a short time later by the USB 3.0 hardware. And I had nothing plugged into my 3.0 ports.

    If you search the internet for sleep issues and Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, you will see that Intel stopped providing drivers for it in Windows 8 (therefore it uses the Microsoft driver now). You will see that people hacked Windows 8 so that the Intel drivers could be used. You will also see that when windows 8.1 came out there is no longer a recommendation to hack the Intel driver into the system.

    This leaves the Microsoft driver in control of that piece of hardware and it is not doing a very good job. There is no way to tell that USB driver not to wake the computer.

    Luckily for me I have nothing that requires USB 3.0.

    Oh, and yes the times in the event log for the items you are looking at are in UTC (Zulu) time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1209


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by ewtaylo View Post
    @BazzaG-

    Sorry to say but your computer will never sleep as long as your USB3 is enabled. You have the exact same USB 3.0 hardware as I do. I experienced the same issues as you do. My HTPC started sleeping when I went into the BIOS and disabled USB3. Before that it would go to sleep only to be awoken a short time later by the USB 3.0 hardware. And I had nothing plugged into my 3.0 ports.

    If you search the internet for sleep issues and Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, you will see that Intel stopped providing drivers for it in Windows 8 (therefore it uses the Microsoft driver now). You will see that people hacked Windows 8 so that the Intel drivers could be used. You will also see that when windows 8.1 came out there is no longer a recommendation to hack the Intel driver into the system.

    This leaves the Microsoft driver in control of that piece of hardware and it is not doing a very good job. There is no way to tell that USB driver not to wake the computer.

    Luckily for me I have nothing that requires USB 3.0.

    Oh, and yes the times in the event log for the items you are looking at are in UTC (Zulu) time.
    According to Wikipedia, Windows 8 is the first Windows OS to support USB 3.0; while AMD has been supporting it since 2011, but of course, not in Windows prior to 8.

    I have no problems with my computer sleeping with USB 3.0 active; in fact, I have an external USB 3.0 hard drive hanging from my desktop with no problems at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1210


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by ewtaylo View Post
    @BazzaG-

    Sorry to say but your computer will never sleep as long as your USB3 is enabled. You have the exact same USB 3.0 hardware as I do. I experienced the same issues as you do. My HTPC started sleeping when I went into the BIOS and disabled USB3. Before that it would go to sleep only to be awoken a short time later by the USB 3.0 hardware. And I had nothing plugged into my 3.0 ports.

    If you search the internet for sleep issues and Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, you will see that Intel stopped providing drivers for it in Windows 8 (therefore it uses the Microsoft driver now). You will see that people hacked Windows 8 so that the Intel drivers could be used. You will also see that when windows 8.1 came out there is no longer a recommendation to hack the Intel driver into the system.

    This leaves the Microsoft driver in control of that piece of hardware and it is not doing a very good job. There is no way to tell that USB driver not to wake the computer.

    Luckily for me I have nothing that requires USB 3.0.

    Oh, and yes the times in the event log for the items you are looking at are in UTC (Zulu) time.
    I have three computers that sleep fine with USB 3.0 enabled. Even the one machine I have had trouble sleeping was working for a few months and it always had USB 3.0 ports enabled. My drivers do NOT come solely from MS but from the mobo manufacturer. I have 4 ASUS mobos, two Haswell and two Ivy Bridge.

    USB 3.0 may cause you trouble by waking up your machine but it is certainly not a general issue with Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook