Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1031


    John,
    I followed your directions and it doesn't work for me. It's in my notification tray and running in my processes. Any ideas?

    My machine is a chronic insomniac.


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Here is how to download and use Standby helper.

    1. Download from here:
    StandbyHelper - 1.0.0.5 - andy vt's tools & blog

    2. Create a folder and unzip the contents.

    3. Run the program and change these four settings. change the idle minutes to the time you want the computer to sleep but first check it using one minute to see if the program allows your computer to sleep. I set mine to a time AFTER my 30 minute sleep timer on the power setting, making Standby helper a backup to my Windows sleep timer:

    Attachment 40688

    3. Create a shortcut for the .exe file:

    Attachment 40675

    Finally, add a copy of the shortcut to the
    C:\Users\John (whatever your User Name is)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Attachment 40676

    You should see the icon in your Notification area on startup. It starts minimized!:

    Attachment 40677

    So that is now my backup sleep mode. The computer does not falls asleep while I am watching a movie or video. It still takes a minute or two to go to sleep, like Windows sleep does. Nice find!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1032


    @ Johnny

    There was no need to remove your “caustic” post. It didn’t bother or affect me whatsoever. However, I can surely tell when I’m not wanted nor appreciated. So what I’m going to do as soon as I post this is go to the top of the page, push Thread Tools, push “Unsubscribe to this thread”, and leave you to what seems to have become “your thread”.

    My biggest mistake was not unsubscribing when I read this good advice: Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

    Have a great day and good luck to all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1033


    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 and 8


    Quote Originally Posted by mrguylh View Post
    I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.
    Works like a dream for me. For the first time in months, my desktop system is auto-sleeping properly.

    Many thanks for finding and publicising Standby Helper.

    AlexB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1034


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1035


    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 and 8


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?

    1. Remove Standby Helper from your Windows Startup folder and reboot.
    2. You may also wish to delete the folder into which you unzipped the downloaded Standby Helper file.


    AlexB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1036


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    I really would like to know how to do uninstall. Is there a way short of hacking it out or nuke and pave?

    1. Remove Standby Helper from your Windows Startup folder and reboot.
    2. You may also wish to delete the folder into which you unzipped the downloaded Standby Helper file.


    AlexB
    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1037


    Posts : 149
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1


    Too bad I have to shut down my pretty much new out of the box Windows 8, updated to 8.1 to get Sleep to function. Until it doesn't and I have to shut down and start it again. Love the damage I'm doing to it by spinning the drive.

    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/shut-down...582089896.html
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1038


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Too bad I have to shut down my pretty much new out of the box Windows 8, updated to 8.1 to get Sleep to function. Until it doesn't and I have to shut down and start it again. Love the damage I'm doing to it by spinning the drive.

    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/shut-down...582089896.html
    I have to say I drought you are doing any damage to it ,I have never used sleep function on my computers ,and have never had a harddrive fail on me .and I have owned a computer since 1996 .
    you need to figure out what device or a bios function or some other function is causing it to not sleep .
    for a test I have been using sleep for the past few weeks and have no issues with it not sleeping for me .I am running win8.1.1 enterprise
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1039


    Posts : 149
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    you need to figure out what device or a bios function or some other function is causing it to not sleep .
    for a test I have been using sleep for the past few weeks and have no issues with it not sleeping for me .I am running win8.1.1 enterprise
    I don't have the expertise nor the desire to mess around with the BIOS to find out why something that should be functioning, is not. Like I said its a new computer. Three programs added and it won't sleep reliably.

    Never had an issue with my XP or Win 7 computers and their sleep functions. Based on this thread and other searches I am not alone in having a Win 8 or 8.1 computer with sleep issues. If I hadn't gotten this computer for a song I never would have willingly bought a Win 8 computer. This issue just adds to the annoyance with the OS.

    edit: As an example of my frustration and somewhat related to Sleep, yesterday after I had manually put the computer to sleep when I woke it up it was on the lock screen and I had to enter my password to resume. I had disabled that function. Went round and round to try to figure out why this was now happening. Turned out the computer somehow switched its Power Plan from Balanced to Power Saver which did not have "require a password on wakeup" disabled. The computer changed the Power Plan on its own. Ridiculous.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1040


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    you need to figure out what device or a bios function or some other function is causing it to not sleep .
    for a test I have been using sleep for the past few weeks and have no issues with it not sleeping for me .I am running win8.1.1 enterprise
    I don't have the expertise nor the desire to mess around with the BIOS to find out why something that should be functioning, is not. Like I said its a new computer. Three programs added and it won't sleep reliably.

    Never had an issue with my XP or Win 7 computers and their sleep functions. Based on this thread and other searches I am not alone in having a Win 8 or 8.1 computer with sleep issues. If I hadn't gotten this computer for a song I never would have willingly bought a Win 8 computer. This issue just adds to the annoyance with the OS.
    take it back , I thinks it a 3rd party win8 driver or device issue not win8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook