Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1011


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by snerd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snerd View Post
    I just wanted to post that after adding an account for my grand son, my computer sleeps every time now. I have no idea what that may add to the discussion, but I also could never get my Win 8 or 8.1 Pro to sleep automatically. Now it does.
    Maybe the kid scared the insomnia out of it!?!?
    After posting, i remembered that I have also installed the StartIsBack start button on my desktop, so that could also be the explanation.
    I'll bet it's only been a day or so since you made those changes?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1012


    Posts : 59
    Windows 8.1.1


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    I'll bet it's only been a day or so since you made those changes?
    No, about 3 weeks now and it sleeps on schedule every time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1013


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by mrguylh View Post
    I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.
    I am going to give this a try. Thank you Mrguy! Welcome to the forum and we appreciate you pointing out the program.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1014


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguylh View Post
    I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.
    I am going to give this a try. Thank you Mrguy! Welcome to the forum and we appreciate you pointing out the program.
    I wouldn't want the timer to be any less than 60 minutes for sleep. Do you guys have any concern about the monitors being on that long?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1015


    Posts : 6
    windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguylh View Post
    I have also been having sleep issues and tried just about everything including installing the Spring Update. Nothing so far has provided a reliable fix but I have found a satisfactory work around for me. I'm using a program called Standby Helper and so far has worked flawlessly even when the built in window's timer fails. The tool has its own built in timer and parameters. I'm not sure what all of the parameters do and I did have to change a parameter called idle count from 10 to 1 to get it to work. I also had to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the window's start up folder to get it to auto run. During testing, I was able to confirm in the event viewer that it was working even when the window's timer failed.
    I am going to give this a try. Thank you Mrguy! Welcome to the forum and we appreciate you pointing out the program.
    I wouldn't want the timer to be any less than 60 minutes for sleep. Do you guys have any concern about the monitors being on that long?
    Thanks for the welcome John.
    NCguy, I'm using Windows timer to turn the display off and StandbyHelper for sleep.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1016


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by mrguylh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post

    I am going to give this a try. Thank you Mrguy! Welcome to the forum and we appreciate you pointing out the program.
    I wouldn't want the timer to be any less than 60 minutes for sleep. Do you guys have any concern about the monitors being on that long?
    Thanks for the welcome John.
    NCguy, I'm using Windows timer to turn the display off and StandbyHelper for sleep.
    I'll give that a try. That would be ideal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1017


    Posts : 6
    windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguylh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post

    I wouldn't want the timer to be any less than 60 minutes for sleep. Do you guys have any concern about the monitors being on that long?
    Thanks for the welcome John.
    NCguy, I'm using Windows timer to turn the display off and StandbyHelper for sleep.
    I'll give that a try. That would be ideal.

    Just a reminder I had to lower the idle count setting in the program to get it to work. Default is 10 but I changed it to 1. Not exactly sure what that setting does or if other values may also work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1018


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Here is how to download and use Standby helper.

    1. Download from here:
    StandbyHelper - 1.0.0.5 - andy vt's tools & blog

    2. Create a folder and unzip the contents.

    3. Run the program and change these four settings. change the idle minutes to the time you want the computer to sleep but first check it using one minute to see if the program allows your computer to sleep. I set mine to a time AFTER my 30 minute sleep timer on the power setting, making Standby helper a backup to my Windows sleep timer:

    Click image for larger version

    3. Create a shortcut for the .exe file:

    Click image for larger version

    Finally, add a copy of the shortcut to the
    C:\Users\John (whatever your User Name is)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Click image for larger version

    You should see the icon in your Notification area on startup. It starts minimized!:

    Click image for larger version

    So that is now my backup sleep mode. The computer does not falls asleep while I am watching a movie or video. It still takes a minute or two to go to sleep, like Windows sleep does. Nice find!
    Last edited by johnpombrio; 31 Mar 2014 at 21:36.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1019


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Nice to have, John, even though my computer sleeps (for now). I may need to use it if 8.1.1 messes things up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1020


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Here is how to download and use Standby helper.
    Nice little tute and that may all be well and fine, but what happens if and when the sleep issue gets solved and fixed with code? Now there's a 3rd party program in the way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook