Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 basic recovery ?'s for a noob Windows 8 user

  1. #1

    Windows 8 basic recovery ?'s for a noob Windows 8 user


    I have a few recovery questions for which I was unable to find specific answers to in the forum, but I did try to look first.
    1) Is the recovery partition on my new Asus laptop a static recovery image which basically contains the OEM's Windows 8 installation? In other words, something that never changes?
    2) If I make a USB bootable recovery drive with the OEM recovery partition copied to it, this means that I have two recovery options (one on the hard disk and one on the USB stick). Is this correct?
    3) Regarding question #2, is the option to create a recovery drive on a USB drive (with OEM recovery partition) just a redundant measure in case the hard drive fails?
    4) If I make a recovery option on a USB stick, with OEM partition copied, and test it, can I remove the recovery partition on my hard drive and gain the space back?
    5) Is there a way to create a customized recovery partition with specific settings or configurations in place of the OEM recovery partition area? (I think I'd have to use a 3rd party imaging tool for this?
    6) Exactly what partitions are restored to when doing a full recovery option (reset)?
    7) I tested a full recovery restore last night from my USB stick and it took a very long time (hours?). Can I assume that if I do a recovery (reset) from the partition on my hard drive it will be much faster?

    That's it. Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Hello again marklyn,

    I see you bailed out of that other post and started a new thread here; eh? So, did you ever figure out why you don't have the ability to "create a system image" in control panel? Anyway, I certainly can't untangle your myriad of questions and provide you with a specific direction because I'm not really sure where you want to end up with this whole thing; however, I can suggest that you need to provide a screenshot of disk management (as previously requested) so maybe someone else can help you from there. However, it really seems like you are heading for trouble with all that you are trying to do so, with that said, I would strongly recommend backing up whatever you have now and then doing a clean legacy or uefi Win 8 install. Once done, you can use a 3rd party software (eg, Macrium Reflect Free) to backup/restore system images as required. Good luck in whatever decisions you may make and I hope somebody can answer all your questions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I'm not necessarily doing anything that I'm asking questions about. I'm only asking because I want to better understand the recovery process and how it works in more detail. There is so much information on the net these days, some of which provided me some answers, but it can take hours to find answers to specific questions I posed.
    Regarding the screenshot from the other post: I didn't do it yet because last night I started a USB recovery (to see how it works) but it took longer than I could keep my eyes open, so I went to bed.

    If I'm doing something wrong by asking so many questions at once, someone please let me know the proper way to do it. I'm only asking what I don't understand because I couldn't find the answer(s) myself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    Hello again marklyn,

    I see you bailed out of that other post and started a new thread here; eh? So, did you ever figure out why you don't have the ability to "create a system image" in control panel? Anyway, I certainly can't untangle your myriad of questions and provide you with a specific direction because I'm not really sure where you want to end up with this whole thing; however, I can suggest that you need to provide a screenshot of disk management (as previously requested) so maybe someone else can help you from there. However, it really seems like you are heading for trouble with all that you are trying to do so, with that said, I would strongly recommend backing up whatever you have now and then doing a clean legacy or uefi Win 8 install. Once done, you can use a 3rd party software (eg, Macrium Reflect Free) to backup/restore system images as required. Good luck in whatever decisions you may make and I hope somebody can answer all your questions.
    JustATest, you do understand that I'm asking about recovery here, not the system imaging from the previous post? I consider these two different, but similar, questions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Hi marklyn,

    You are not doing anything wrong by asking many questions and maybe someone will answer them all so hang in there and see if anyone can help you. However, I think a better way of educating yourself is to simply show the forum experts what your configuration is now (disk management screenshot) and then simply explain where you want to end up. The experts will fill in all the "in-betweens" for you and you'll get to where you want to go safely. But right now, anyone that attempts to answer all of those questions (without great detail) might lead you to make an incorrect assumption and you could end up garbaging your system to the point of non-recovery. Remember, you said you were a "noob"; yes?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    3) Regarding question #2, is the option to create a recovery drive on a USB drive (with OEM recovery partition) just a redundant measure in case the hard drive fails?
    No, you need the Recovery DVD's, a Windows system image, or a 3rd party system image.


    my new Asus laptop
    How to order recovery DVD:
    Essentio Recovery Software
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 56
    Windows 8.1 pro Windows 8 pro Windows 7 Home


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    I have a few recovery questions for which I was unable to find specific answers to in the forum, but I did try to look first.
    1) Is the recovery partition on my new Asus laptop a static recovery image which basically contains the OEM's Windows 8 installation? In other words, something that never changes?
    2) If I make a USB bootable recovery drive with the OEM recovery partition copied to it, this means that I have two recovery options (one on the hard disk and one on the USB stick). Is this correct?
    3) Regarding question #2, is the option to create a recovery drive on a USB drive (with OEM recovery partition) just a redundant measure in case the hard drive fails?
    4) If I make a recovery option on a USB stick, with OEM partition copied, and test it, can I remove the recovery partition on my hard drive and gain the space back?
    5) Is there a way to create a customized recovery partition with specific settings or configurations in place of the OEM recovery partition area? (I think I'd have to use a 3rd party imaging tool for this?
    6) Exactly what partitions are restored to when doing a full recovery option (reset)?
    7) I tested a full recovery restore last night from my USB stick and it took a very long time (hours?). Can I assume that if I do a recovery (reset) from the partition on my hard drive it will be much faster?

    That's it. Thanks!
    Hi Marklyn, i'm not a guru so take this with a grain of salt
    but i try to answer or give you some suggestions to refine your search...
    First any pc is different and ASUS sells lots of machines ...

    1) i would refer to the laptop manual/s
    2) most likely yes but also see 1)
    3) most likely yes but is also very recommended and also see 1)
    4) yes but i think it is not recommended, better to buy an external drive if you need more space
    5) most likely yes but it would be so risky (for the integrity of your OS) and diffic0ult that it does not make sense to me, but also see 1)
    6) i would refer to the laptop manual/s
    7) Yes you can assume it

    hope this helps,
    Roy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    Hello again marklyn,

    I see you bailed out of that other post and started a new thread here; eh? So, did you ever figure out why you don't have the ability to "create a system image" in control panel? Anyway, I certainly can't untangle your myriad of questions and provide you with a specific direction because I'm not really sure where you want to end up with this whole thing; however, I can suggest that you need to provide a screenshot of disk management (as previously requested) so maybe someone else can help you from there. However, it really seems like you are heading for trouble with all that you are trying to do so, with that said, I would strongly recommend backing up whatever you have now and then doing a clean legacy or uefi Win 8 install. Once done, you can use a 3rd party software (eg, Macrium Reflect Free) to backup/restore system images as required. Good luck in whatever decisions you may make and I hope somebody can answer all your questions.
    JustATest, you do understand that I'm asking about recovery here, not the system imaging from the previous post? I consider these two different, but similar, questions.
    That is clearly understood. OK, so some answers are starting to roll in. Now, see if you can get to where you want to go (wherever that may be). Good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    3) Regarding question #2, is the option to create a recovery drive on a USB drive (with OEM recovery partition) just a redundant measure in case the hard drive fails?
    No, you need the Recovery DVD's, a Windows system image, or a 3rd party system image.
    I thought if I made a recovery on a USB flash drive and copied the OEM recovery partition, it copied everything over to the flash drive. My 16Gb flash drive was almost full when I did this. I guess I was wrong on that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8 basic recovery ?'s for a noob Windows 8 user
Related Threads
I'm a complete noob at these kind of stuff I have got the recovery page that loads up first currently using windows 8.1 OS File:\BCD Error Code: 0xc0000034 I dont have a recovery CD or USB so im pretty stuck at what to do now
I just recovered my windows system partition from an Acronis backup. Everything works fine except for anything that needs to write to Appdata. Cannot download, cannot run Dropbox, or create new user profile at logon. I have tried "Take Ownership", have set my user as owner via security settings,...
Solved Windows 8 Basic QUESTION Help! in General Support
I'm buying a new desktop tomorrow & sadly it's 8! I'm pretty happy with it, whatever I don't mind. But it doesn't tell me what Windows 8 is it? (Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Or RT) I'M GUESSING It's the basic WINDOWS 8! Just Windows 8! Also I don't mind but just a question with this basic...
Basic Windows(8) help needed in General Support
About 1 week ago I automatically downloaded a microsoft update that seemed to go OK. At one Point it did ask for my name and I typed in John Smith. Ever since, when I turn my computer on it seems to have to start from new, meaning my start page is not there, my internet home page is not there,...
...and told him to open calculator. I had him start on the Desktop. He first looks for the Start button, to no avail. Looking confused, he thinks for a second, the just starts typing "calculator" on the Desktop. After that doesn't work, he starts clicking around until he accidentally grabs the top...
I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again? :(
Windows 8 is the default and only OS on this laptop. Please do not suggest restore or backups - they do not exist. I am trying to reinstall a fresh Windows 7 back into this laptop for dual boot purposes. I have a Win7 ISO all ready to go on a flash drive. The problem is... I cannot get the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook