Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Video File Problem

  1. #1


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8

    Video File Problem


    So all the video files I have saved on my laptop don't show a preview screen for the video like they did on Windows 7. I've recently changed from 7 to 8 and this is strange. If you don't know what I'm talking about look at the attachment.

    Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sfsfs.PNG  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Try changing the folder view to large icons and see what happens:

    Attachment 23952
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    That particular iCon shows up when you have MPC-HC installed and it is the default player for AVI.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    That particular iCon shows up when you have MPC-HC installed and it is the default player for AVI.

    Click image for larger version
    Is there any way you know of to stop that icon showing up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Change the file association. In a Folder, you can get the Filmstrip if you use Medium or Large Icons. But on the Desktop, it will only show the Icon of the App used to open the AVI files. So, if you switch AVI so that VLC will open it, it will show the VLC Logo which is that Orange Boot thing. If you set it to Windows Media Player, it may show the Filmstrip.

    The question I have though, is was I right, do you have MPC-HC installed? It's a good program, you should keep using it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Change the file association. In a Folder, you can get the Filmstrip if you use Medium or Large Icons. But on the Desktop, it will only show the Icon of the App used to open the AVI files. So, if you switch AVI so that VLC will open it, it will show the VLC Logo which is that Orange Boot thing. If you set it to Windows Media Player, it may show the Filmstrip.

    The question I have though, is was I right, do you have MPC-HC installed? It's a good program, you should keep using it.
    Yes I have MPC-HC installed and the icons are large, (the one I posted in the attachment was a large icon). I've tried changing the default program to the Windows 8 Video App and Windows Media Player but the film strip isn't showing. The same with Ouicktime. There has to be an option somewhere that disables the programs from giving the files the programs icon? Like a permission setting?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    It just depends on which app is the default app for the file type. Is this an icon on the desktop? If so, it will always only show the icon for the app that is handling the file. In a folder, you have to set it up for large Icon view. and then it will show a poster frame for the Video.

    The Windows 8 "Video" app is useless, it won't play anything that you don't buy from the app.

    In the "Videos" Library, you can choose "Large Icons"-

    Click image for larger version

    Or "Tiles"

    Click image for larger version

    It's all in the "View" Tab- And it mostly depends on what the file IS. If it is an AVI it should show the filmstrip, if it is an MKV, it will show the VLC icon.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    It just depends on which app is the default app for the file type. Is this an icon on the desktop? If so, it will always only show the icon for the app that is handling the file. In a folder, you have to set it up for large Icon view. and then it will show a poster frame for the Video.

    The Windows 8 "Video" app is useless, it won't play anything that you don't buy from the app.

    In the "Videos" Library, you can choose "Large Icons"-

    Click image for larger version

    Or "Tiles"

    Click image for larger version

    It's all in the "View" Tab- And it mostly depends on what the file IS. If it is an AVI it should show the filmstrip, if it is an MKV, it will show the VLC icon.
    I'm doing that. I just downloaded VLC to show you, these files are .AVI yet it is not showing the film strip.. VLC is now the default for all video files on my laptop, and it is set to large icons. Tiles also shows the same result.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    There might be a setting from within VLC, In my Large Icon view, I do have one AVI file which opens with VLC and it is showing the "Poster Frame". Are these Home Videos? You may have to open them up with whatever Application you used to create them and create a Poster Frame. When you make a YouToob Vid, it asks you to set a Poster Frame, I think Windows Movie Maker will do the same thing. You might be able to set it from Within VLC too.

    It looks like those videos of yours were created with a DVR? How did you make them exactly, or, were they imported from a DVR?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    There might be a setting from within VLC, In my Large Icon view, I do have one AVI file which opens with VLC and it is showing the "Poster Frame". Are these Home Videos? You may have to open them up with whatever Application you used to create them and create a Poster Frame. When you make a YouToob Vid, it asks you to set a Poster Frame, I think Windows Movie Maker will do the same thing. You might be able to set it from Within VLC too.

    It looks like those videos of yours were created with a DVR? How did you make them exactly, or, were they imported from a DVR?
    They are torrented movies. The show up with poster frames on Windows 7 but not on 8 which is really confusing for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Video File Problem
Related Threads
Hello Sir, I m using Windows 8.1 and i m getting one issue.. Video file Thumbnails not showing in My Laptop.. Check screenshot ::- 50686 In This ScreenShot .avi and .mp4 File exist.. But not showing thumbnails.. Please help.. And here is My Thumbnails View Setting ::- 50687 Please give me...
I need a way to play a video constantly all day, I found the following batch file which when edited for my video works perfectly in both Chrome and Firefox but does not work in Internet explorer(IE) Does any one have a solution for IE please. The Batch file is as follows:- <!DOCTYPE html> <html>...
Hi, I've been having an annoying issue I can't seem resolve ever since 8.1 came out. I've tried reinstalling drivers but that didn't help and I'm really not sure where to go from there. I've never had this issue on any other machine and to be frank, it really pisses me off that the drivers are so...
So i'm trying to delete this file i have in my downloads folder, which is a normal .avi file. however, this file is really broken, it wont delete. I suspect this file makes my folder not showing thumbnails and acting slow and sometimes wont show anything at all, just a loading bar thing. i...
How to "Hide file names" of Files in Picture and Video Folders in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to "hide file names" of all files in any folder using a Pictures or Videos template in Windows 7 and Windows 8. This will only be applied to your user account In...
I'm on Win8.1. Is there way when I select a video file for it to show the length of the video in the bottom status bar? I mean the info is avaliable in the properties > details right click menu for the file. Would this involve hacking the previous Win7 bottom details pane back into Win8.1 File...
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2rzcbi1.jpg http://oi48.tinypic.com/10qi1rk.jpg http://oi49.tinypic.com/33e69zr.jpg How to fix red colour.. is it antivirus?? i scanned AVG internet security i scanned it tagore file but this is not virus... why showing like that??
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook