Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

I messed up badly!

  1. #1


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro

    I messed up badly!


    I really need help!
    I can't type it ask out because I'm on my phone!


    Last edited by Brink; 01 Jul 2013 at 02:04. Reason: embedded video

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    First off, welcome to Windows 8 Forums.

    Overclocking Failed? Heh happens to me all the time.

    You are probably going to have to do a fresh install. I see it FAILED, it gave you a Blue Screen during Boot.

    Well, from what I can see, it is only giving you ONE option: You can RESET your PC, which means it will delete everything, possibly even your User Documents and Data.

    Before you do anything else, download Hiren's Boot CD, if you can- Make it happen use a friends computer if you have to. You can burn it to disk or copy it onto a Flash Drive, there are steps you can take to do that but I won't go into it now, just get the ISO image. After you get it and make a Disk from the ISO, Scan your hard drive using "Dos Programs - Hard Drive Tools - GWscan". Just make sure the drive is ok, right?

    After you have checked your drive, you can boot to Mini-XP - NAW, we don't wanna be paid dude, ahahaha! Look just hang tight, let me see what I can do here. Boot to Mini-XP and run a full CHKDSK on the drive, this is just for safety's sake.

    After you have done all that, reboot to Hiren's and use Mini-XP, it's in the menu just click the down arrow until it is Highlighted. It should boot your system and now you can access your drive. Connect a USB drive or even connect another hard drive to the system if you can and COPY all of your important data! Because from what I am seeing here, you WILL have to reformat the disk, so the most important things is going through all of your folders one by one and saving anything you need.

    Once you've backed up what you absolutely need, and I am urging you not to rush this, take as much time as is needed- You can use the Partition Wizard which is in Mini-XP to delete your partition. Just delete it.

    You should then be able to do a fresh install of Windows 8, it will ask you how you want to format your drive, or it may do it automatically, you should probably just let it go Automatically.

    After you get Windows 8 back in, don't try to downgrade it again. Hopefully, all your Docs and files will be able to be copied back on the system drive.

    Don't worry - This has happened to me a dozen times and I've used Hiren's to access my data and move it to a safe place.

    The only other thing you can do it open your system, take the hard drive OUT, connect it to another system and copy your files that way.

    Now I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but all I'm concerned with is getting you able to save your important files. Hiren's is probably the best way you can do this, for the situation you are in.

    Keep us posted on your progress. Programs can be re-installed, but once Windows "resets" and it deletes your personal data, well, it's GONE. So you will have to manually back it all up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    First off, welcome to Windows 8 Forums.

    Overclocking Failed? Heh happens to me all the time.

    You are probably going to have to do a fresh install. I see it FAILED, it gave you a Blue Screen during Boot.

    Well, from what I can see, it is only giving you ONE option: You can RESET your PC, which means it will delete everything, possibly even your User Documents and Data.

    Before you do anything else, download Hiren's Boot CD, if you can- Make it happen use a friends computer if you have to. You can burn it to disk or copy it onto a Flash Drive, there are steps you can take to do that but I won't go into it now, just get the ISO image. After you get it and make a Disk from the ISO, Scan your hard drive using "Dos Programs - Hard Drive Tools - GWscan". Just make sure the drive is ok, right?

    After you have checked your drive, you can boot to Mini-XP - NAW, we don't wanna be paid dude, ahahaha! Look just hang tight, let me see what I can do here. Boot to Mini-XP and run a full CHKDSK on the drive, this is just for safety's sake.

    After you have done all that, reboot to Hiren's and use Mini-XP, it's in the menu just click the down arrow until it is Highlighted. It should boot your system and now you can access your drive. Connect a USB drive or even connect another hard drive to the system if you can and COPY all of your important data! Because from what I am seeing here, you WILL have to reformat the disk, so the most important things is going through all of your folders one by one and saving anything you need.

    Once you've backed up what you absolutely need, and I am urging you not to rush this, take as much time as is needed- You can use the Partition Wizard which is in Mini-XP to delete your partition. Just delete it.

    You should then be able to do a fresh install of Windows 8, it will ask you how you want to format your drive, or it may do it automatically, you should probably just let it go Automatically.

    After you get Windows 8 back in, don't try to downgrade it again. Hopefully, all your Docs and files will be able to be copied back on the system drive.

    Don't worry - This has happened to me a dozen times and I've used Hiren's to access my data and move it to a safe place.

    The only other thing you can do it open your system, take the hard drive OUT, connect it to another system and copy your files that way.

    Now I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but all I'm concerned with is getting you able to save your important files. Hiren's is probably the best way you can do this, for the situation you are in.

    Keep us posted on your progress. Programs can be re-installed, but once Windows "resets" and it deletes your personal data, well, it's GONE. So you will have to manually back it all up.
    Is there any way to do this through Ubuntu?
    I'm currently running Ubuntu :3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    If you can move your Files, yes - But you will have to MOUNT the drive, and also the USB drive and set it to it can read and move files from NTFS volumes. can you do it? Ubuntu is great, but I always suggest Hiren's Boot CD simply because you can do the CHKDSK right from a link they provide from within Mini-XP, then you can shut off the 24 hour time limit and copy all the files by drag and drop - Which uses Teracopy which is much faster than copying from Explorer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    If you can move your Files, yes - But you will have to MOUNT the drive, and also the USB drive and set it to it can read and move files from NTFS volumes. can you do it? Ubuntu is great, but I always suggest Hiren's Boot CD simply because you can do the CHKDSK right from a link they provide from within Mini-XP, then you can shut off the 24 hour time limit and copy all the files by drag and drop - Which uses Teracopy which is much faster than copying from Explorer.
    I really don't want to do it the way you said but I guess it's the only way...
    I also have so many program files that I hate making shortcuts to everything...
    Is there anyway to combine the registry files of my old Windows 8, so it has like pretty much everything restored?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Look, that's what caused the problems in the first place.

    Once you re-install Windows 8, get Classic Shell or Start 8 and it will list your Programs again, after you have reinstalled them. You will have to do that, there is no other way. Once they are all in, you can drag out Desktop Shortcuts, but they'll still be in the Program Menu made by Start 8 or Classic Shell.

    From what I saw in the video, you've basically lost whatever you had installed in there, irrecoverably.

    As far as dragging it all back into the Program Files folder, you can do that with some programs, but sometimes they also install files to other areas.

    Have you done this Registry Restoration in Windows 7 or any other OS? It simply may not work for 8 and then you'll end up with a new hosed installation. I've lost the entire contents of my systems dozens of times - That's why IU keep copies of the Installers for all of my main programs, and I've got some rare programs, but I've never lost anything, because I keep the installers all backed up in more than one place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    You don't know what you have till you look.

    At about 3.30 in your video, you are on a screen where you can bring up the WinRE command prompt, which gives you a few limited options. You can use the command prompt to run some simple windows programs, like notepad, and then using the file open dialog, and selecting Files of Type... All Files, you have basic file explorer functions to check if all your important files are safe. If the files are there, and you can use Ubuntu, you can back up stuff to cloud or external storage, or to another partition.

    If you have lost some or all of your files, that's another problem. There are some file recovery programs, but I don't have any experience with them.

    Then you can clean the windows boot and system partitions - I'd just delete them and create new primary partitions, then reinstall Windows, whichever version you wish.

    Following instructions can be good, sometimes - on your BIOS screen it recommends that you press F1 to get to the setup to correct the overclock failure. I'd do that first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro


    It says it needs to be formatted.
    How do I access it without formating it?

    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    You don't know what you have till you look.

    At about 3.30 in your video, you are on a screen where you can bring up the WinRE command prompt, which gives you a few limited options. You can use the command prompt to run some simple windows programs, like notepad, and then using the file open dialog, and selecting Files of Type... All Files, you have basic file explorer functions to check if all your important files are safe. If the files are there, and you can use Ubuntu, you can back up stuff to cloud or external storage, or to another partition.

    If you have lost some or all of your files, that's another problem. There are some file recovery programs, but I don't have any experience with them.

    Then you can clean the windows boot and system partitions - I'd just delete them and create new primary partitions, then reinstall Windows, whichever version you wish.

    Following instructions can be good, sometimes - on your BIOS screen it recommends that you press F1 to get to the setup to correct the overclock failure. I'd do that first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    It says it needs to be formatted.
    How do I access it without formating it?

    Not enough information, I'm afraid.

    What says it needs to be formatted?

    At least try to help yourself by letting us know what you have tried before getting this information.

    You said you had a Windows.old folder at some point - it did not need formatting at that point - what has changed since?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro


    Well now I cannot even access the C: drive while I'm in windows, it says it needs to be formatted! :c
    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    It says it needs to be formatted.
    How do I access it without formating it?

    Not enough information, I'm afraid.

    What says it needs to be formatted?

    At least try to help yourself by letting us know what you have tried before getting this information.

    You said you had a Windows.old folder at some point - it did not need formatting at that point - what has changed since?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
I messed up badly!
Related Threads
Messed up sound in Sound & Audio
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 Computer is Asus P53E Control Panel–Sound playback Speakers “Realtec” High Definition Audio recording Mic “Realtec” High Definition Audio communication box checked for 80% reduction Control Panel-“Realtec” High Definition...
Messed up resolution in Graphic Cards
My computer updated to 8.1 and now my resolution is all messed up. I have only 2 options. 1920x1080 and 1280x720. I previously had it at 1360x768 but now that isn't an option. How can I fix this?
Messed up formatting new drive in Drivers & Hardware
I installed a WD Black 4Tb internal drive and when asked, selected to initialise and format it as GPT. Then I created three simple volumes and all was well. Then I made the big mistake of deciding I didn't want that and tried to install it again as an MBR drive. I did something wrong somewhere as...
PC really messed up in General Support
I don't know what has happened to my PC but today I got some error message saying Your PC encountered an error will restart so it restarts and says the same exact thing so I tried to reinstall windows 8.1 off the disk and it brings up the same exact error message and restarts. Also I built this...
I have a dual-boot configuration - XP + W8Pro32-bt. I used EaseUS partition manager to take some of the free space from the XP partition and add it to the W8 partition (2 operations). Upon reboot, W8 has no lock screen picture, no user picture and when I log into my user account the screen is just...
I messed up in General Support
I have 8.1 pro and decided to change wallpaper to something else (UO Sooners) and it didn't work out. it was my background aright but it was blurred. The place I am talking about is where all my personal apps are penned like you would see the on windows 7 desktop. How can I get this back to the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook