Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


File (Windows) Explorer start up in 8.1

  1. #11


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Oh, is that what the "Jump List" is? Ha, I didn't know that.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 22,584
    64-bit Windows 10


    He he, yep.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1


    Even pinning a jump list value to the taskbar has the same behaviour, a new explorer icon opens instead of using the jump list one. Are you guys sure there's no way to modify the target value through the registry?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 22,584
    64-bit Windows 10


    Not that I'm aware of.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    What does the <>+<E> key combination do in 8.1?

    In 8, that key combination goes straight to My Computer rather than Libraries, which I've always found handy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 22,584
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    What does the <>+<E> key combination do in 8.1?

    In 8, that key combination goes straight to My Computer rather than Libraries, which I've always found handy.
    Hello David,

    It's the same. + E opens File Explorer directly to This PC (new name for "Computer" now).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    You trying to get it to open a predefined folder? I have about 4 folders I use a lot pinned to the jump list, and they all open the appropriate folders.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1


    Yes, trying to get it to open to "This PC" (which is the new "My Computer" in 8.1). The issue is not jump lists, they work fine. It's when pinning the non default File Explorer icon to the taskbar (either through jump lists or custom shortcut), it opens File Explorer in the correct location but in a separate taskbar icon, not the custom one you created.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    That's odd, Ok I see what you are saying, because if you drag a folder down into the Taskbar, it will simply add to the Jump List. You are dragging a shortcut from the Desktop down? I've never tried that, I always drag the folder from exactly where it is to the Taskbar and it makes a new Jump List item.

    I just tried that, nope, it still goes into the Jump list, I don't know what I'm doing different than you...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 22,584
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by meth View Post
    Yes, trying to get it to open to "This PC" (which is the new "My Computer" in 8.1). The issue is not jump lists, they work fine. It's when pinning the non default File Explorer icon to the taskbar (either through jump lists or custom shortcut), it opens File Explorer in the correct location but in a separate taskbar icon, not the custom one you created.
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    That's odd, Ok I see what you are saying, because if you drag a folder down into the Taskbar, it will simply add to the Jump List. You are dragging a shortcut from the Desktop down? I've never tried that, I always drag the folder from exactly where it is to the Taskbar and it makes a new Jump List item.

    I just tried that, nope, it still goes into the Jump list, I don't know what I'm doing different than you...
    Hey Jon,

    Meth is talking about when he pins a custom explorer shortcut to the taskbar, it will display another separate icon on the taskbar when opened, and group any other opened ones with the separate one.

    It's due to how the shortcut opens the explorer window. There's not anything that can be done for it that I know of.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
File (Windows) Explorer start up in 8.1
Related Threads
It starts in Libraries, i want to make it start in favourites, is there a way? thnnx pls help if u can! ;)
Hello Everyone. I use Windows 8.1. Until few days ago, everything was working fine. No idea what happened but whenever I open the File Explorer/Windows Explorer, it always opens minimized. Earlier I just needed to maximize it and close it so that when the next time I open it, it opens...
Hi there , I've been struggling trying to find out how I can change the Selected File color , in File Explorer since I switched to Windows 8. Looks like it's now a setting in the registry under control panel - colors - and have to enter values manually ??? I am sick of the always...
Blackscreen after login, no start, no taskbar, no desktop, but I can run applications using task manager. I tried running explorer.exe, but nothing happened. Neither can i run control pannel (::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683} No such interface supported). I also tried using the command...
Windows 8.1 File Explorer in General Support
Immediately after installing the 8.1 upgrade I started to get Windows Explorer opening up 2 windows on its own. Each is focused on one of my 3 external hard drives. When I shut the windows down they will appear again within the next 15 - 30 minutes. This goes on all day and while not a serious...
Is there a utility which integrates with Windows 8's File Explorer and gives tabs? I don't want dual pane. Just tabs. And I want it to integrate with Windows 8's own File Explorer preferably.
On attempting to open a couple of items in Documents, I got back the error box: ' The requested operation requires elevation'. What does that mean? robinpe
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook