Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is it good to turn off the computer every night when sleep

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by Win8PcTech View Post
    You Can turn on the pc everynight if u wanted to download movies,or use games and host servers otherwise i give u suggestion to turn the pc off bcz first thing= if u using pc then it will be waste of electricity
    2nd.many pcs become soo much hot and if u dont close it,it can be Destroyed

    Fair Winds,
    Jary Zaidi
    Mine is water cooled and runs cool even at full throttle.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    A computer or monitor, old or new, will require more current during startup than at any other time. But this period will be very short, generally less than one second. If the computer is on even for a short time the power consumed during startup will be an insignificant fraction of the total.

    One second? Try about a minute for my old Asus motherboard. My Media PC which is an old HP Pavilion boots a lot quicker, so I guess what you say applies to that one. But that machine, I keep it on all the time because at night I always have movies running to help me sleep. The noise lulls me to sleep. I actually prefer it, I have terrible insomnia. I used to have to take sleeping pills and I was addicted to them, so keeping a PC on all the time is better and actually a cheaper solution, the sleeping pills I used to take were over 100 bucks for 30 of them. I did that for 20 years- Then one day a guy gave me a broken down HP box, It was dead, I revived it, made it into a Media Machine. One night, I loaded up a bunch of moovies. I fell asleep watching them and woke up 9 hours later. So I kept doing that, and I haven't taken the sleeping pills since.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    It's not so much about power but the stresses components going thru stop and star routines are under. Just while loading windows a HDD works more than few hours of normal activity. Then there is something called "Startup count" for HDDs that you can plainly see if you look at SMART in it with let's say HDD Sentinel and that count goes into the it's overall health score. An example of what I'm talking about. Right now, I have an 3 year old, WD 750GB Green HDD, (that are notorious for failure rate) that is in perfect shape and health tha came out an security camera recorder, never shut down for few if not all 3 years. Startup count was 10 by the time I installed it in my machine. Now is up to few hundred in couple of month and I almost never shut my computer down except to change something .
    Then there's constant warming up and cooling down of components which puts stress on components as they constantly change shape because of it. CRT monitors are particularly vulnerable at the time of starting up as higher voltages are applied at that time so they show the picture faster. Some of them have electro mechanical relay to switch between stand by and normal mode that wears and fails after so many cycles, those are the parts I often had to change when repairing CRT monitors. Also, color monitors, CRT or otherwise, do not need a screen saver because they can not etch a static picture on the screen and constantly changing picture makes the work just as much as in normal use. The best thing for them is just to send blank signal to them when not in use.
    Those are just couple of examples of what is going on when systems are put thru start an shut routines an there's larger bunch of components there that go thru the same thing.
    On the other hand, all the transistors have a finite number of cycles that they can do with each Hz , so stretching a computer's life would actually be quite an balancing act.

    That's the best reply yet, Gold Star time! You have said everything I wanted to say all on one concise statement. I went to ITT Tech for 3 years so I learned all of this well back then, I just had forgotten the exact technical language.

    All of your PC components, from the Power Supply to the Monitor, the Hard Drives, the Optical Drives, the Motherboard in particular, are HEAVILY stressed during startup and shutdown ops. And you pointed out Start Count - Each time you start your PC is one less time you can start it forever.

    So I prefer to not have to reboot every day - I keep the machines on forever. The longest time I have gone without a reboot on my Main PC was almost a year under Windows 7. Under Windows 8, it had stayed on for 3 months straight barring reboots for updates.

    This is also a good argument to NOT allow your system to do automatic updates! Most updates force a reboot, so I always do it once a month, maybe once every 3 months, and I am very selective on which updates I will allow, I read every detail about every update and if I don't feel I need it, I hide the update. I only allow those updates which promise increased productivity for me.

    This has been interrupted by my Main PC locking up every 2 days or so. But I think I got rid of the Rootkit which was causing this. I'll know by tomorrow AM if it is still locking up, right now it's been 2 Days 13 hours. I keep an Uptime Monitor on my desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Dead wrong about PCs getting hot when on idle, that's actually when they are cooler than when running a program or something. Many systems can have power states when they throttle down processor and video card when not required to do any or heavy work. AMDs Cool & Quiet is an example of that Also "C" states in the BIOS can provide the same thing. Typical AMD Phenom II x4 965 will fall down from 3.4 GHz, the normal speed, down to 860 MHz at idle and scale up the speed when and how much is required. Same goes for a video card and those two are typically the biggest users of electricity in a system.
    Power supply also does not draw full current all the time but just as much as required at the time. One example, typically they are over rated by 25% or more of what they might see in use, 500W PSU will be required to push no more than 450W in a well balanced system. At computer on idle the draw will drop to maybe 100W on such a system.

    I have two PCs that use Cool and Quiet, it is part of the motherboard settings. It's the first thing I activate. This is why I am an AMD man, because of this feature. If I open AIDA64, it shows me the iterations in CPU speed, which goes from 1 GHz to 2.5 GHz. I have this system, overclocked 5%. This motherboard is one of the best I have bought, I've had it over 5 years. I wish I had bought more than one, and they were only 60 bucks. Thats another reason why I do AMD, processors don't cost 600 bucks. I have two Athlon 4400+'s which normally run at 2.2 GHz OC'd to 2.5. But that speed is not used all the time.

    On my Laptops, I always setup the CPU to run from 5% to 80% max speed on Battery, 25% to 100% on AC power.

    When it comes to Laptops, well in those cases, you have to set up your power options for the least use of resources when on Battery. It's like using my iPhone, I have to shut off all kinds of hidden processes, and now I have 380 MB free out of 512mb. But I had to do research in to what Launch Daemons I could safely shut off. OTA Updates, Wiebo Support, Chinese WLAN, shut them all off and now get almost 3 whole days between recharge cycles.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Modern computers don't need to be turned off. It's like TVs, you just suspend them. The cost of power consumption is so small that it is insignificant. They don't get wasted at all and they are not more vulnerable to attacks by night, specially because they are suspended.

    New laptops come with the suspend function in the power button by default. Instead of turning it off we are just suspending them. In the Asus ones, waking from suspension takes 2 seconds, so it's fantastic and modern not needing to wait anymore for the booting.

    I personally turn off the laptop and the TV by night, but just because I prefer to have everything off by night. I even turn off the router and the cell phone. Just a habit but I prefer it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    I don't shut mine down during the day; I just put it insleep mode. I do shut it down at night time just before I go to bed. One of thereasons is that because we get some thunder storms in our area and I think it'spossible to get it zapped by lightening when it is running.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    Modern computers don't need to be turned off. It's like TVs, you just suspend them. The cost of power consumption is so small that it is insignificant. They don't get wasted at all and they are not more vulnerable to attacks by night, specially because they are suspended.

    New laptops come with the suspend function in the power button by default. Instead of turning it off we are just suspending them. In the Asus ones, waking from suspension takes 2 seconds, so it's fantastic and modern not needing to wait anymore for the booting.

    I personally turn off the laptop and the TV by night, but just because I prefer to have everything off by night. I even turn off the router and the cell phone. Just a habit but I prefer it.
    Well, I have an iPhone that has "Do Not Distoib" so nobody distoib's me. I also have extra apps that make it so the damn thing won't ring or allow messages even until I tell it to. The only thing I leave on at night is my Media PC which is always streaming something. Thats' cos my Main PC is always crashing heh. I'll know after tonight if it is still locking up.

    Yah, the best Laptops now so far are Asus. it just boots instantly. even from a complete shutdown it boots in about 20 seconds or less. It takes less than a second to shut off which is also great.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Yah, the best Laptops now so far are Asus.
    Well, I received yesterday from Amazon the 3rd replacement of my "new" Asus X501A, meaning this is the 4th one. The 3 previous ones were faulty with all sort of defects. Hard disk failure, overheating, epileptic attacks of the cursor and bad PSU and touchpad...

    And for what I see in the netbooks forums, I am not the only one, those problems seem to be generalized among owners of Asus laptops.

    I like this one because it is very cheap, powerful enough for me, and it's the only one at this price which is slim, lighter and more beautiful (to me), but this is the worst quality laptop I've ever seen. Absent quality control.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Quote Originally Posted by vrosa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Win8PcTech View Post
    You Can turn on the pc everynight if u wanted to download movies,or use games and host servers otherwise i give u suggestion to turn the pc off bcz first thing= if u using pc then it will be waste of electricity
    2nd.many pcs become soo much hot and if u dont close it,it can be Destroyed

    Fair Winds,
    Jary Zaidi
    Mine is water cooled and runs cool even at full throttle.

    Nice :-P
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Yah, the best Laptops now so far are Asus.
    Well, I received yesterday from Amazon the 3rd replacement of my "new" Asus X501A, meaning this is the 4th one. The 3 previous ones were faulty with all sort of defects. Hard disk failure, overheating, epileptic attacks of the cursor and bad PSU and touchpad...

    And for what I see in the netbooks forums, I am not the only one, those problems seem to be generalized among owners of Asus laptops.

    I like this one because it is very cheap, powerful enough for me, and it's the only one at this price which is slim, lighter and more beautiful (to me), but this is the worst quality laptop I've ever seen. Absent quality control.

    The Cursor is neurotic due to the Asus Smart Gesture thing which is a quick-learn. Now that I know how it works, I can avoid doing gestures when I don't want to. I like the Pad, it's a huge square area and I've been able to do some pretty fine manipulation in Photoshop. Here is the one I got:

    Amazon.com: ASUS A55A-AH51-RD 15.6-Inch LED Laptop ( Red ): Computers & Accessories

    So far, I have not had any overheating or anything. But I'll keep these things in mind and I'll pass your observations over to the owner of it when I ship it later today.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Is it good to turn off the computer every night when sleep
Related Threads
:confused: The display and the sleep feature timers do not work. I just did a complete restore to try and correct this problem and another problem, which was no restore points and no ability to create one. The restore points are working for now, I mean that I was able to create a restore point. ...
I am using a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 Pro I have already turned off Connected Standby. I KNOW there has to be a way to get back the ability to make separate settings for sleeping / turning off the display. Will someone please help? this is driving me insane...
I have my power options set to sleep, yet at night when I dont use it, it will shut off. I cant for the life of me find the right setting for that! Drivng me crazy! Asus q501LA W8.1
New wrinkle. Let's say I have some background programs running, maybe Defrag or somesuch. Maybe I want to keep the computer awake for a TV show I'm recording an hour from now. So... I turn off my monitor and walk away. APPARENTLY my computer then enters sleep mode, or some other hybrid power...
Good Night in Chillout Room
Time to sign off! There were some interesting issues to tackle here today. Hopefully those with issues could benefit from the assistance offered here today. If yes, say thanks or give 'em a rep; if not, stay on top of it, we don't give up that easy! ;) Have a good night all! (Feel free to add...
Hey I just got a brand new Dell Inspiron with Windows 8 (got it yesterday). In the power options I have the settings set to sleep when closing the lid of the laptop, but the computer seems to always turn off. When I open the lid, my computer is completely off and I have to press the power button to...
Computer BSOD at night on occasion... in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi, I'm new here, so I believe I am in the correct section but should I not be please forgive me. (backstory) I have a windows 8 pro pc, upgraded from windows 7 professional student edition (two year key for both, actually). I loved windows 7, and to be honest I love windows 8 as well but I am...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook