Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


It's officially CONFIRMED?Default boot directly to desktop

  1. #1


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit

    It's officially CONFIRMED?Default boot directly to desktop


    I see various articles saying many different things but can someone direct me to the "horses mouth" where officials from MicroSoft confirm that the option to default boot direct to the desktop is in fact a reality in Windows 8.1?


    Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    I congratulate all the people who couldn't live without booting straight to the desktop.

    That said, I'm indifferent about this news. I'm happy whether it boots to the metro or desktop. Doesn't really bother me which way. Then of course, I've never been OCD about anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Apparently so.

    Not clear to me why it is a big deal - it saves the annoyance of seeing the start screen at boot up.

    More curious is the alleged return of a start button - apparently that leads to - Metro

    Let me see if I have this straight :

    Metro adorers do not want a start button, some positively hate the idea.

    Metro avoiders do not want a start button that leads to Metro.

    There's a winner.

    Maybe it is supposed to help enterprises.



    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    I see various articles saying many different things but can someone direct me to the "horses mouth" where officials from MicroSoft confirm that the option to default boot direct to the desktop is in fact a reality in Windows 8.1?


    Thanks!
    Last edited by SIW2; 31 May 2013 at 18:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    It's one less click, and a few seconds saved booting to the interface we want to use. I have no interest in a touch UI for my PC.

    Like many other users feel, why should I be forced to manually click past metro to get where I want to go and was seconds watching the metro start screen switch to the desktop? I never had to deal with that in previous versions of Windows, and don't want to bother with it now.

    I'm relieved, not to mention that when you do boot directly into the desktop you get the good old start button (and menu) just like in previous versions. Problems solved.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    I see various articles saying many different things but can someone direct me to the "horses mouth" where officials from MicroSoft confirm that the option to default boot direct to the desktop is in fact a reality in Windows 8.1?

    Thanks!
    Why is this in the "Windows 8 News" forum???
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    It's one less click, and a few seconds saved booting to the interface we want to use. I have no interest in a touch UI for my PC.

    Like many other users feel, why should I be forced to manually click past metro to get where I want to go and was seconds watching the metro start screen switch to the desktop? I never had to deal with that in previous versions of Windows, and don't want to bother with it now.

    I'm relieved, not to mention that when you do boot directly into the desktop you get the good old start button (and menu) just like in previous versions. Problems solved.
    All I have heard is that the start button will bring you to the start screen NOT the start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Boot to desktop - sure it removes an annoyance.

    No start menu - the button takes you to into Metro Click image for larger version . The very thing you have been trying to avoid.


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    It's one less click, and a few seconds saved booting to the interface we want to use. I have no interest in a touch UI for my PC.

    Like many other users feel, why should I be forced to manually click past metro to get where I want to go and was seconds watching the metro start screen switch to the desktop? I never had to deal with that in previous versions of Windows, and don't want to bother with it now.

    I'm relieved, not to mention that when you do boot directly into the desktop you get the good old start button (and menu) just like in previous versions. Problems solved.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Apparently so.

    Not clear to me why it is a big deal - it saves the annoyance of seeing the start screen at boot up.

    More curious is the alleged return of a start button - apparently that leads to - Metro

    Let me see if I have this straight :

    Metro adorers do not want a start button, some positively hate the idea.

    Metro avoiders do not want a start button that leads to Metro.

    There's a winner.

    Maybe it is supposed to help enterprises.



    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    I see various articles saying many different things but can someone direct me to the "horses mouth" where officials from MicroSoft confirm that the option to default boot direct to the desktop is in fact a reality in Windows 8.1?


    Thanks!
    Wrong. Those of us who like 8 don't care if the start button is there or not. If it comes back then Ok. If not then Ok.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 299
    win 7 home premium 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

    No start menu - the button takes you to into Metro Click image for larger version . The very thing you have been trying to avoid.

    Wait a minute...lets clarify this better.

    You are saying that even with the default boot direct to the desktop UI even if you use the start button located in the desktop UI it will STILL direct you to metro UI??

    Seems hard to believe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by legacy7955 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

    No start menu - the button takes you to into Metro Click image for larger version . The very thing you have been trying to avoid.

    Wait a minute...lets clarify this better.

    You are saying that even with the default boot direct to the desktop UI even if you use the start button located in the desktop UI it will STILL direct you to metro UI??

    Seems hard to believe.
    That is correct.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
It's officially CONFIRMED?Default boot directly to desktop
Related Threads
Hi folks, VMware already supports this but now VirtualBox seems to do it as well... This is just to note that we can finally install Windows as a VirtualBox VM using UEFI. Latest changes in version 4.3.20 made this possible. After seeing that line I got pretty curious in giving it a...
I have used desktop for many years and am used to it. I am sure the tiles thing is better, but I want my desktop. Instead of having the tiles come up and clicking on the desktop, how can I make it just go to the desktop and avoid the tiles. I found something in setup about defaulting to desktop,...
Read the rest here:MetroTwit for Windows Desktop, Windows 8 Officially Discontinued
Can't seem to get the the right program/script for a direct boot to Google Search in the task schduler
At the moment, the restarting - selecting Seven from boot menu, restart again is a huge PITA. Anyone know of a Win8 based way of Restart directly into seven, essentially skipping the double restart. I prefer the old method of select - boot. Not select - restart, boot.
Anyway to get Win 8 to go directly to the desktop or to the all apps after login in?
I would also like to delete metro in it's entirety or at least as much as possible. Also, I have a dual monitor setup. On is my flatscreen tv, which is hooked up to the computer for home theater. I seem to have a duplicate task bar and icons on the tv, which I most certainly did not have on 7. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook