Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


No wonder PC sales are dying - look at the latest specs

  1. #1


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10

    No wonder PC sales are dying - look at the latest specs


    HI there
    No wonder PC sales are dying currently -- nothing to do with Windows 8 or the OS -- it's just the HARDWARE being put in these just seems to be going backwards.

    I've been looking at some "Convertibles" -- guess what -- the reasonably portable versions (anything bigger than 14 inch screen IMO is a no no for real portability) seem to be fitted with CELERON processors for Gawds sake -- I'd want probably an i5 at a minimum on a new piece of kit although if the price was really cheap I probably could get away with a decent i3 processor. Then they fit a SLOW IDE 5400 RPM type 500 GB drive -- I'd want an SSD - especially with a lower powered processor. and then the screen resolution is a stinking 1366 X 768. I'd want at least 1080P HD (1080 x 1920) these days.

    Don't people ever do their marketing properly or have the been listening to GARTNER's again.

    Spec for me is 11.5 or 14 inch NATIVE 1080 X 1920, SSD, Touch (although not mandatory), i5 processor (i3 just about tolerable) USB3 X 2 if poss but certainly 1 USB 3 slot, 8GB RAM (if it's got 6 I don't care as I can swap the memory), HDMI output (whether via a Mini HDMI or standard connector I don't care), and preferably in a convertible form factor (but that's not mandatory either. I don't need a DVD drive either.

    Now Laptops with this type of spec seem to be as rare as Hen's teeth -- what sort of marketing says put an ATOM CELERON in some modern gear or were these the processors they had left over after the popularity of "Netbooks" waned two or 3 years ago.

    Seems even if I WANT to get a new laptop it isn't easy to find one I want.

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 446
    Win 8 64-bit


    I take it the Surface Pro doesn't appeal to you? The Dell XPS 12 Convertible Touch Ultrabook seems close to what you list, but it isn't cheap. HDMI may be a problem as it seems they're moving away from HDMI and towards Display Port/Mini Display Port instead (I wish manufacturers would stop changing ports).

    XPS 12 convertible 12" touch Ultrabook

    I guess it boils down to price at the end of the day and for a lot of people they just stick with a normal laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Hi Jimbo, I just bought an Acer Aspire notebook, (but as big as a normal laptop at 15.6") with I3, although I wanted i5, but it seems fine to me! But I certainly get your point about the other things.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    I take it the Surface Pro doesn't appeal to you? The Dell XPS 12 Convertible Touch Ultrabook seems close to what you list, but it isn't cheap. HDMI may be a problem as it seems they're moving away from HDMI and towards Display Port/Mini Display Port instead (I wish manufacturers would stop changing ports).

    XPS 12 convertible 12" touch Ultrabook

    I guess it boils down to price at the end of the day and for a lot of people they just stick with a normal laptop.
    Hi there
    I'm looking for something about up to 600-800 USD mark -- there's some good ultrabooks out there now but I really don't want or need to spend 1200 USD on a PC at this stage.

    I don't mind about the mini display port provided it can connect to the HDMI port of a smart TV with full HD resolution.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    People want cheap, they don't need a lot of power to surf the web.

    I bought wife a machine like you are mentioning last week. Samsung series 7, 128gb SSD, 13.3 1920x1080 with touchscreen, has 4 gb of ram with 1 free ram slot, Intel hd4000 graphic, can be taken apart and upgraded. But it was $999.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    HI there
    No wonder PC sales are dying currently -- nothing to do with Windows 8 or the OS -- it's just the HARDWARE being put in these just seems to be going backwards.

    I've been looking at some "Convertibles" -- guess what -- the reasonably portable versions (anything bigger than 14 inch screen IMO is a no no for real portability) seem to be fitted with CELERON processors for Gawds sake -- I'd want probably an i5 at a minimum on a new piece of kit although if the price was really cheap I probably could get away with a decent i3 processor. Then they fit a SLOW IDE 5400 RPM type 500 GB drive -- I'd want an SSD - especially with a lower powered processor. and then the screen resolution is a stinking 1366 X 768. I'd want at least 1080P HD (1080 x 1920) these days.

    Don't people ever do their marketing properly or have the been listening to GARTNER's again.

    Spec for me is 11.5 or 14 inch NATIVE 1080 X 1920, SSD, Touch (although not mandatory), i5 processor (i3 just about tolerable) USB3 X 2 if poss but certainly 1 USB 3 slot, 8GB RAM (if it's got 6 I don't care as I can swap the memory), HDMI output (whether via a Mini HDMI or standard connector I don't care), and preferably in a convertible form factor (but that's not mandatory either. I don't need a DVD drive either.

    Now Laptops with this type of spec seem to be as rare as Hen's teeth -- what sort of marketing says put an ATOM CELERON in some modern gear or were these the processors they had left over after the popularity of "Netbooks" waned two or 3 years ago.

    Seems even if I WANT to get a new laptop it isn't easy to find one I want.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I actually don't agree with you that much. The point of having a hybrid is portability. Having an i5 processor defeats this purpose. What's the point of getting a hybrid and then getting a measly 3 hours out of it? What's the point of getting a hybrid if you constantly have to worry about not blocking the vent when you hold it in tablet form?

    The question is what do you want to do with an 11.6 screen computing device? I sure as hell don't want to spend hours doing autocad drawings on such a screen. That's what desktops with 20-some inch hd screens are for. Honestly, who wants to run heavy duty tasks for hours and hours on what's suppose to be a portable hybrid?

    And what about the screen resolution? Most people can't tell the difference between 1366x768 and something like 1920×1200. I've tested this. If you don't mention the screen resolutions, they won't be able to tell. The so-called retina display is just a gimmick. Every time I let someone use my hp envy x2 tablet, especially someone that has an ipad 3, they would think my screen has the same resolution as theirs. Same with people I know with 1920x1200 screens. Every time I ask them how does this screen compare to theirs they all have said they look the same. It's only when I pointed out that mine has a lower resolution did they put the two tablets up against their faces and cross eyes to notice.

    And have you actually used one of these clover trail hybrids? Let me give you a hint. I plug mine via hdmi to a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor and play star craft with it. Most people when hearing the word atom think of those old cheap plastic extremely low resolution netbooks.

    I challenge you to find something with an i5 processor that would allow me up to 12-14 hours of use without having to plug it in. Not everyone has a nice comfy office job. I almost had a mental breakdown working in an office setting. I had to seek out a new career path that allow me to travel around. No lag at all when using office. When I have time, I edit and compile codes with this thing while on the train.

    Look up asus transformer book tx300. It has the specs you want. I'll tell you this. After spending several months with my hp envy x2, I wouldn't trade it for the tx300. First of all, there's no way in hell the tf book battery can last anywhere as long. It's priced at around 1200-1400. Got my x2 for $525.

    Try to think of it this way. If you just need a car that takes you to work 10 miles away every day, would you get a $150k race car for it or would you get something nicely falls within your budget?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    You would have to be very non technical to not tell a difference between 1920x1080 and 1366x768. Sitting side buy side with 1 web page open well be clearly visible by nearly everyone. Many won't care.

    My wife went from 1280x800 to 1920x1080 and it is night and day. So much easier to have multiple things open.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    You would have to be very non technical to not tell a difference between 1920x1080 and 1366x768. Sitting side buy side with 1 web page open well be clearly visible by nearly everyone. Many won't care.

    My wife went from 1280x800 to 1920x1080 and it is night and day. So much easier to have multiple things open.
    I'm not saying they can't tell the difference side by side. I'm saying most people don't look for it so they can't tell the difference when they're not side by side.

    To me, having that high resolution is pure gimmick. I used to own a device that was 1920 by 1200. I don't miss it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Jimbo - Don't you remember my "I Hate Vista" tirades? This is exactly what MS did when Vista came out - Vista was designed specifically for the 32-bit Original Core Duo/Centrino. Within that scope, it worked well.

    But... I went to my customers and a few of them had new Vista machines- With 512 ram and Celerons! And, it ram crappy. Upping the ram gave marginal improvement, SP1 a little more. Out went the Vista and IN went the XP until 7 came out.

    I'e got a Celeron machine, 2 GB Ram, had Vista on it, was slower then blazes until I upped to 7, now it is really fast for being a celeron. It's a dual core Celery. Damn I remember my first 300A Processor, I clocked it to about 580 Mhz. Those were GOOD. But the later ones could not be overclocked.

    Windows 8 is a bit more accessible for older systems, runs well in a Pentium D, so Im sure it will run great in that Celery system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Madrid, Spain
    Posts : 228
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    HI there
    No wonder PC sales are dying currently -- nothing to do with Windows 8 or the OS -- it's just the HARDWARE being put in these just seems to be going backwards.

    I've been looking at some "Convertibles" -- guess what -- the reasonably portable versions (anything bigger than 14 inch screen IMO is a no no for real portability) seem to be fitted with CELERON processors for Gawds sake -- I'd want probably an i5 at a minimum on a new piece of kit although if the price was really cheap I probably could get away with a decent i3 processor. Then they fit a SLOW IDE 5400 RPM type 500 GB drive -- I'd want an SSD - especially with a lower powered processor. and then the screen resolution is a stinking 1366 X 768. I'd want at least 1080P HD (1080 x 1920) these days.

    Don't people ever do their marketing properly or have the been listening to GARTNER's again.

    Spec for me is 11.5 or 14 inch NATIVE 1080 X 1920, SSD, Touch (although not mandatory), i5 processor (i3 just about tolerable) USB3 X 2 if poss but certainly 1 USB 3 slot, 8GB RAM (if it's got 6 I don't care as I can swap the memory), HDMI output (whether via a Mini HDMI or standard connector I don't care), and preferably in a convertible form factor (but that's not mandatory either. I don't need a DVD drive either.

    Now Laptops with this type of spec seem to be as rare as Hen's teeth -- what sort of marketing says put an ATOM CELERON in some modern gear or were these the processors they had left over after the popularity of "Netbooks" waned two or 3 years ago.

    Seems even if I WANT to get a new laptop it isn't easy to find one I want.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I actually don't agree with you that much. The point of having a hybrid is portability. Having an i5 processor defeats this purpose. What's the point of getting a hybrid and then getting a measly 3 hours out of it? What's the point of getting a hybrid if you constantly have to worry about not blocking the vent when you hold it in tablet form?

    The question is what do you want to do with an 11.6 screen computing device? I sure as hell don't want to spend hours doing autocad drawings on such a screen. That's what desktops with 20-some inch hd screens are for. Honestly, who wants to run heavy duty tasks for hours and hours on what's suppose to be a portable hybrid?

    And what about the screen resolution? Most people can't tell the difference between 1366x768 and something like 1920×1200. I've tested this. If you don't mention the screen resolutions, they won't be able to tell. The so-called retina display is just a gimmick. Every time I let someone use my hp envy x2 tablet, especially someone that has an ipad 3, they would think my screen has the same resolution as theirs. Same with people I know with 1920x1200 screens. Every time I ask them how does this screen compare to theirs they all have said they look the same. It's only when I pointed out that mine has a lower resolution did they put the two tablets up against their faces and cross eyes to notice.

    And have you actually used one of these clover trail hybrids? Let me give you a hint. I plug mine via hdmi to a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor and play star craft with it. Most people when hearing the word atom think of those old cheap plastic extremely low resolution netbooks.

    I challenge you to find something with an i5 processor that would allow me up to 12-14 hours of use without having to plug it in. Not everyone has a nice comfy office job. I almost had a mental breakdown working in an office setting. I had to seek out a new career path that allow me to travel around. No lag at all when using office. When I have time, I edit and compile codes with this thing while on the train.

    Look up asus transformer book tx300. It has the specs you want. I'll tell you this. After spending several months with my hp envy x2, I wouldn't trade it for the tx300. First of all, there's no way in hell the tf book battery can last anywhere as long. It's priced at around 1200-1400. Got my x2 for $525.

    Try to think of it this way. If you just need a car that takes you to work 10 miles away every day, would you get a $150k race car for it or would you get something nicely falls within your budget?
    I agree with this.

    There is a lot of marketing behind screens, of course thanks to Apple the marketing bullsh*t king who can sell a comb to a bald with cool design and advertising.

    1366x768 with a decent screen quality is no difference with higher resolutions in almost all laptops, specially small ones. Same about TVs and smartphones. The important thing is the screen quality, not the resolution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
No wonder PC sales are dying - look at the latest specs
Related Threads
Solved Toolbar links are dying in Browsers & Mail
ON my IE I have all the shortcuts for sites I use most. One by one they are not working. It's a pain because now I have to find the site again and redo it. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?:cry:
Solved PSU dying? (Video) in Drivers & Hardware
Hello, I believe my PSU is dying, it's almost 5 years old, I've been using it since December 2008, average 8h per day, no CPU OC. Please watch video, loud buzzing noises initially sounded like coming from MoBo, but I've removed PSU from case so I could listen in detail and it's definitely coming...
Source A Guy
Are your CDs dying? in Chillout Room
Are your CDs dying? | ZDNet
Solved Help... dying over here in General Support
Hi All, I just purchased a new laptop 2 days ago with Win8, and have had some issues that may or may not be operating system related. While it's a bit of an undertaking to get used to the new start menu, I haven't been very successful at completing the simplest of tasks... such as importing...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook