Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 Occasionally Loads Up Blank.

  1. #1


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8

    Windows 8 Occasionally Loads Up Blank.


    Hey guys, upgraded to Windows 8 from XP a couple of months ago.

    Everything's fine except on occasion it loads up blank, like it's just been newly installed. It takes longer to boot when this happens (a couple of minutes as opposed to ~10-15 seconds). It still signs into my profile as normal, but then I'm displayed with this Metro Desktop screen:

    Click image for larger version

    If I right click> all apps then everything appears to still be there. A restart solves this and it loads normally.

    Anybody have any idea what may be wrong? Or how to fix/prevent it happening in future?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    Install all updates

    update display drivers

    run chkdsk on your harddrive
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Update installed.

    Drivers were already up to date, and chkdsk shows up clear.

    Just realised that I won't know when this is solved, as it can take weeks between happening.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Thats Odd - I would Install YamicSoft's Windows 8 Manager, you can use it as a trial for 15 days, it has a tool to clean up your Metro.

    There are two useful tools: Clean your Store Cache, and "Backup and Reset your Start Screen"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    It happened again today. Said I was logging in, then the black background turned purple, and then I was logged into an almost empty Metro screen, meaning this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    Install all updates

    update display drivers

    run chkdsk on your harddrive
    didn't work.

    I'm now going to try this:
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Thats Odd - I would Install YamicSoft's Windows 8 Manager, you can use it as a trial for 15 days, it has a tool to clean up your Metro.

    There are two useful tools: Clean your Store Cache, and "Backup and Reset your Start Screen"


    Anybody else have any ideas? It's really bothering me ;_;

    Edit: I can't find anything to clean up the Metro in this program, any help?
    Last edited by whoomit; 29 May 2013 at 05:21.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8 Pro


    I have this exact problem as well. Happened this morning too. Could it be a server problem with certain accounts?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8 Pro


    I was thinking about what could possibly have triggered this and I realized that I recently used the product key for my windows 8 pro to test install windows 8 on an old shuttle pc in order to trouble shoot some driver problems with XP pro 64 bit. After a couple of hours I formatted that hard drive and installed xp pro 32 bit and now everything works fine on that computer. Anyway, long story short, I thought, perhaps my Windows 8 pro is giving me issues because I used the product key to test the other computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by dkjravn View Post
    I have this exact problem as well. Happened this morning too. Could it be a server problem with certain accounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkjravn View Post
    I was thinking about what could possibly have triggered this and I realized that I recently used the product key for my windows 8 pro to test install windows 8 on an old shuttle pc in order to trouble shoot some driver problems with XP pro 64 bit. After a couple of hours I formatted that hard drive and installed xp pro 32 bit and now everything works fine on that computer. Anyway, long story short, I thought, perhaps my Windows 8 pro is giving me issues because I used the product key to test the other computer.
    Wow, wasn't expecting to find anybody else who was having this problem! Even more strange that it happened the same morning!

    I can safely say though that this is the only computer my Windows 8 key has touched, and it's been happening ever since I installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    You said you tried the Yamicsoft Metro Cleaner and it couldn't find anything to clean? Well, it does not do individual apps, it cleans out the whole cache, its just a button, ya press it once, it cleans up guck that has been piling up in your Metro apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    You said you tried the Yamicsoft Metro Cleaner and it couldn't find anything to clean? Well, it does not do individual apps, it cleans out the whole cache, its just a button, ya press it once, it cleans up guck that has been piling up in your Metro apps.
    Right, done! Not that I use the Metro Apps anyway, they only tend to get opened by accident.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Occasionally Loads Up Blank.
Related Threads
I'm not sure what's exactly the problem but sometimes Windows 8.1 hangs at the Windows logo at boot with Fast Startup enabled on a mSATA SSD with my Lenovo Y570 laptop. My laptop does not support Secure Boot/GPT or UEFI, so I'm really unsure if that's the problem. Once I disable Fast Startup...
Hiya! I'm Plushieluver101, so I'm new here. I've just joined to ask a few questions about some pressing matters with regards to my new laptop and major issues with Windows 8 on there, and such. I had this laptop for Christmas (so only 3 days ago), which is a Lenovo laptop (I've been told its...
Hey. I've experienced a problem with windows 8.1 ever since building this pc. Basically, when using my pc, at random times the start menu stops working. I.e, when I click the start button, the menu does not come up, right click does not also work to bring up the power menu. The sidebar ...
After the 8.1 Update yesterday the Windows Store keeps automatically opening at boot. After I close it it will then re-open fifteen minutes later. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for fixing it?
Hi I've just jumped to Win8.1 from 7 and am trying to work out how to unclutter my windows explorer navigation pane. The bit in question is the "This PC" - it used to just have my c:drive and other network drives, but now it has all these other network devices (security cameras, and sonos amps...
Computer Specifications: Windows 8 x64 2.40 GHz Intel Quad Core Processor (i7 if it makes a difference) 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM 1GB AMD Radeon HD 8700M Just recently bought this laptop has worked relatively fine until just tonight. I was watching a movie on Netflix and all of a sudden the...
Hey there, I have a Toshiba Laptop with a Core i3 2.27 GHz 4GB DDR3 Dual Channel Memory and 500GB hard drive. Although this is a problem with both my laptop and desktop, desktop specs are in the specs section. When I boot up windows and then click Desktop in the Metro UI it loads very...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook