Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


US ENG Input Language Changing

  1. #1


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8

    US ENG Input Language Changing


    Hi everyone.

    I have searched everywhere for a solution to my problem and I still haven't found one.

    I have a Sony VAIO VPCSE and I have installed Windows 8 Professional.
    My region, language, input methods etc are set to English(Ireland)

    The Problem
    When I turn on my laptop, there is the word "ENG" beside my clock and my input language is set to English (United States). When I click ENG; I am giving the option to switch between English(Ireland) and English (United States).

    Click image for larger version




















    When I go to language preferences, the English (United States) language does not show as being one of my preferences




    Click image for larger version

    However, when I add the language and then press "Remove", the ENG beside the clock disappears

    Click image for larger version



    My Question
    Does anyone have any idea of why this is happening or how I can stop this?
    I don't mind what it is; editing the registry, deleting the English(United States) language.

    Please throw me your suggestions and I'll test and report back. Thanks

    Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    If you only have 1 language set, the ENG or whatever will disappear.
    Add English American & the Eng will reappear.
    I could provide screen shots if you need them.
    With only 1 language selected,the eng will go away.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Thanks for your answer.

    No, I only have English (Ireland) selected as you can see in my Language Preferences screenshot.
    But for some reason, the ENG appears on login and my input is set to English (United States).

    The only way to get rid of it is by setting my language to English (United States) and then removing it again.
    However, the ENG will come back once I restart my laptop
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    That "ENG" beside your clock only refers only to the keyboard layout not language preferences. Depending on what you have selected, it only affects how the characters that will appear when you start typing with your keyboard. The letters will not be affected but all other charactes like ? : " , etc. will be different. In my case, I have English Canada & English US but the universal keyboard layout is Engish US.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by fourthofjuly View Post
    That "ENG" beside your clock only refers only to the keyboard layout not language preferences. Depending on what you have selected, it only affects how the characters that will appear when you start typing with your keyboard. The letters will not be affected but all other charactes like ? : " , etc. will be different. In my case, I have English Canada & English US but the universal keyboard layout is Engish US.
    Ye, I know that but my issue is that it sets my keyboard to English US therefore my @ symbol and that changes. I want to stop it from doing this.

    The screenshot below will show what I mean.

    Click image for larger version

    If you go into your language preferences; you'll see both your input languages but as you can see here. Mine only has Ireland yet English United States is there.

    The temporary solution to stop ENG from being in my icon tray is to add English United States as a language and then remove it again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 480
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Do you by any chance have other Windows 8 PCs under the same Microsoft Account? If so, keyboard synchronization may kick in and add English US. This can be disabled in Win+W - sync.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Vadikan View Post
    Do you by any chance have other Windows 8 PCs under the same Microsoft Account? If so, keyboard synchronization may kick in and add English US. This can be disabled in Win+W - sync.
    Hi Vadikan,
    When I read that; I thought that might have been it but no, unfortunately it's not. I'm still having the same issue.
    Could it be possible that the problem might be that I installed Windows 8 using English (United States) as my language?
    Last edited by BrianMac21; 05 May 2013 at 10:03. Reason: Forgot a word
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 480
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMac21 View Post
    Could it be possible that the problem might be that I installed Windows 8 using English (United States) as my language?
    That's the reason. The first installation dialog (windowsPE phase) prompts you to choose the language, and these settings propagate.

    Now, when you have two input languages displayed, go to Languages in the control panel and click Options on the right of English (Ireland). That would be the 2nd screenshot in the topic.

    What input languages do you have there? If there's English US, delete it. Let us know if it comes back or not.

    Input Methods - Add or Remove for Keyboard Layout in Windows 8

    Language - Add or Remove in Windows 8
    Last edited by Brink; 05 May 2013 at 13:00. Reason: added tutorial links for more info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Vadikan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMac21 View Post
    Could it be possible that the problem might be that I installed Windows 8 using English (United States) as my language?
    That's the reason. The first installation dialog (windowsPE phase) prompts you to choose the language, and these settings propagate.

    Now, when you have two input languages displayed, go to Languages in the control panel and click Options on the right of English (Ireland). That would be the 2nd screenshot in the topic.

    What input languages do you have there? If there's English US, delete it. Let us know if it comes back or not.

    Input Methods - Add or Remove for Keyboard Layout in Windows 8

    Language - Add or Remove in Windows 8
    Hi Vadikan,

    When I go to options in the English (Ireland); there is nothing about any other input methods;

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 480
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Ok, I see. Here's something to try, although this would not be officially supported The idea is to fool the system and set Irish instead of US. There's no change to the system files, just a registry edit, and it's reversible.


    1. On the above screen add English US input method and remove Irish.
    2. Extract the attached ZIP and import the replace-us-with-irish.reg.
    3. Reboot.


    Let us know how it goes. If you're not happy with the change, run the undo-xxx.reg, reboot and restore the input language state in control panel.
    US ENG Input Language Changing Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
US ENG Input Language Changing
Related Threads
hello all. I have problem with changing input language. I have tablet running windows 8.1 with bing. In the PC settings, Time and language, Region and language i have 3 languages listed. But i can't switch between languages in touch keyboard. I only can use english. why? anyone can help?...
Hi. I need to be able to input text using three different languages: English (US), Russian, Ukrainian. To that end I have prepared the following: 24592 As you see, UI is being overridden to Ukrainian too, which is also desired. I also need to be able to switch input languages NOT using any...
Can't change input language. in General Support
Using Windows 8.1. I have English and Japanese input languages added, and both are listed as options in the language toolbar, but it is impossible to select anything but English. Windows+Space allows me to navigate to Japanese, but releasing the keys or pressing Enter does nothing. The Left...
It seems to me that the default language input method changes with apps being loaded, supposed I set my default input language to PT and then use MS Word in Chinese, when I close my Win 8.1, the next time I turn on my computer, the default will change to CN instead of PT. Anyone knows how to make...
Hi I have the following input languages in the Language settings in the control panel: - Arabic - English (United Kingdom) - Turkish But when I switch between the language I have 5 input languages where the English and the Arabic are doubled!! Check the attached image : 30470
Language input compatibility issue in Drivers & Hardware
Hello, the following is my problem. I have a Chinese language input program that is only compatible with Windows XP. I tried to install it on my Windows 8 Pro and used the compatibility mode. But it did not run. How can I get it to work? Should I install Virtual Box to run XP mode to use this...
Solved How to add new input language in General Support
How to add new keyboard input language ? I have one language, but i want to add english language. I go to control panel, language, add a language, then i select english, and then just blank window appears... : 10693 Or i go to language, then select for current language options, add an input...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook