Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 app store is the Achille's heal or cruel joke

  1. #41


    I, personally, use and like the app store. I think much of the concern is whether a person hates Microsoft or not. Some think anything MS does is wrong.....that's ok, but I find MS very satisfactory most of the time. It's all in one's attitude.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBurns View Post
    I, personally, use and like the app store. I think much of the concern is whether a person hates Microsoft or not. Some think anything MS does is wrong.....that's ok, but I find MS very satisfactory most of the time. It's all in one's attitude.
    It's not about whether one hates Microsoft or not (but to your point, there are plenty of M$ haters. I don't think the OP is one, but). The point, and fact is, the store is woefully inadequate. And no, I don't hate Microsoft; In fact, I've defended them over the years, and still do in their move towards an OS (Windows 8) that is mobile friendly. On the other hand, when Microsoft is bad I call it - Windows 8 Metro, no start menu, the woeful apps store. This isn't hate, its objective criticism.

    With regards to Media Center, I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop, and having a tuner card installed, I use Media Center all the time to watch TV. Outside of that, I rarely use it; not even to listen to music. In fact, I don't even use Media Player. I simply use iTunes for my music.

    Now, when I upgraded my laptop from Windows 8 basic to Pro, I also added Media Center as well. However, when I look back now, that was probably a waste of space as I'll more than likely use Media Player way more than Media Center on the lappy since I won't be watching TV on it.

    Anyway my point (as is Jimbo’s) is that MS should be rethinking the strategy of what applications to add/remove from the OS since they understand more and more people are using more sophisticated apps and programs for their needs. And those basic “default” apps could in turn become redundant and space hogs. Perhaps this is some of the thought that went into removing Media Center, especially when you already have Media Player installed. Yes, Media Center was/is an incredibly convenient all in one app, but is it really needed today? And would you pay for it?

    That said here’s an idea, speaking of the apps store, for those that really want it, put it on the apps store, and if we must pay, make it no more than $9.99 (I know some will argue less but…). This way those who want it, can get it a lot cheaper than “upgrading” to the more costly OS, it becomes an app that may sell.

    Regardless, many of us many of us grew up with basic apps installed by MS – Media Player, MS Paint, Windows Photo Viewer, Notepad, etc. And, they are used, maybe not all the time, but still. And if they aren't there, we miss them. I suppose this is why I automatically installed Windows Media Center on my laptop... I'm simply not used to not having it there… even if I never use it again.

    My two cents.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    such as keeping an old version of Office 2010 rather than being suckered into their Office 365 subscription model.
    "OLD" Version of Office 2010? Haha! Actually I think that's the best Office they made. MS had an idea years ago that they would start making Computer OS's that were basically "Appliances" - You would Log In to your programs remotely. That's what Office 365 appears to be, MS wants the PC to become what used to be referred to as a "Dumb Terminal" - Meaning there is no real OS on the system, it just connects to a remote system. Actually I have set up dumb terminals that log in to Terminal Server on Windows server 2003, and it brings up the Office and other programs that's on that system.

    I prefer doing it that way, so I have control over the server too, than having everything on some remote MS server somewhere, where they have the ability to delete your content.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    I know, let's call it a main frame We can hook up dumb terminals and call them 3270s.

    Oh wait, we (IBM etc.) did that 30-40 years ago, before the PC and surprise, surprise, is still doing it today.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    I know, let's call it a main frame We can hook up dumb terminals and call them 3270s.

    Oh wait, we (IBM etc.) did that 30-40 years ago, before the PC and surprise, surprise, is still doing it today.
    Hi there
    Here you are
    This might bring back memories -- IBM MVS/370 running on my laptop (HERCULES EMULATOR rather than a VM) with a TSO session running too.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mvs1.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Quote Originally Posted by KarterJK View Post
    Gee, how positively pleasant and civil of you, Darling, especially the name calling part. Really, I would have thought someone with your dizzying intellect could come up with something a bit more original.

    Is either yours, or dirtyvu, or others approval necessary on what I choose to comment on and how? The problem I have with people like you, is you seem to take criticism personal and resort to name calling to emphasize your self imposed superiority. We get it! That you are great supporters of this OS, what you fail to recognize, is I am a supporter of it also, why else would i be so upset with it. But that doesn't change the fact it needs improving, and I will continue to rant about it's short comings.

    Perhaps you need to re-read my post(s), maybe you need to learn to respect others opinions, I don't know about you, but I hope MS changes their game plan, because I am tired of trying to defend them, I re-ask my original question....
    If Microsoft is not making an effort to improve things, then why should we support it ?
    First of all, I'm someone's Darling and she's the only one that has the right to call me that. And you speak of calling names?!! And your comment on my intellect was totally uncalled for. And you speak of shooting the messenger?!! And just where have I called you a name? It is my opinion you were trolling in this particular instance. It does not mean that I think you are a consistent troll. Not saying it's right, but because someone tells a lie now and then doesn't necessarily mean they are a consistent liar. If it bothered you, that's your judgment call, not mine. You came out shooting with both negative barrels with nothing positive to say at all in your OP. I also noticed you joined Nov 20 2012, but your post history only goes to your thread OP, which is an indication that you spent time with 8 and are disappointed with it so you're angry only to post negatively.

    My initial thought was that perhaps this person is having a bad hair day. My second thought was that perhaps you were trolling and I was going to comment initially out of my various ill feelings of your post, but I thought I dare not and held my tongue. I then proceeded to look at your profile to try and get to know more about you. That's why the questions. I wanted to know where you were coming from.

    As the thread progressed through the day I saw that others were noticing what I noticed > negativity in a demeaning and repetitive way. I call it as I see it. You came out with both barrels blasting, for you commented on other aspects of 8 not just your thread subject.

    Again your thread title/question has a double negative connotation, so therefore there can only be a negative answer. Your final question of "If Microsoft is not making an effort to improve things, then why should we support it?" (In bold mind you) Then don't support it if you find it to be so bad or you think they're heading in the wrong direction. It's just your opinion with unsupported reference. They are in fact improving things with every update just as in every other past OS. If you truly used it you would've known that.

    If you know anything at all about business you'd know that it takes time to get a business or a store off the ground and making money. One to three years historically.

    One last thing. It's heel, not heal. 8 has a global spell check. One of the new features in 8 or haven't you noticed.
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 19 Apr 2013 at 05:34.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Does this forum really need another thread about how bad posters think win8 is ,especially one that according to there computer specs ,isn't even using win8 ,having said that i to find the app store hard to find things i might like ,so i stopped looking !
    I totally agree with Spyderbite
    There cannot be enough threads pointing out the deficiencies of Windows 8. The thing is a disaster and needs major rework. If MS is smart, they listen to the suggestions and do not try to stonewall us because we are not playing.

    Apart from the poor suckers that need a new PC and some select enthusiasts, the PC world is currently on hold. Only MS can get it moving again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Does this forum really need another thread about how bad posters think win8 is ,especially one that according to there computer specs ,isn't even using win8 ,having said that i to find the app store hard to find things i might like ,so i stopped looking !
    I totally agree with Spyderbite
    There cannot be enough threads pointing out the deficiencies of Windows 8. The thing is a disaster and needs major rework. If MS is smart, they listen to the suggestions and do not try to stonewall us because we are not playing.

    Apart from the poor suckers that need a new PC and some select enthusiasts, the PC world is currently on hold. Only MS can get it moving again.
    Hi there
    Another suggestion to get it moving again is for that totally RUBBISH organisation GARTNER to say the PC market is dead --within 5 mins of them saying that the PC market will start improving again.

    Note though it will never reach the volumes it had in previous years -- mature markets always "plateau" out --no business can grow at 25% a year indefinitely. Even the "Mighty Fruit company" has problems at the moment in not knowing what to do next.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    I know, let's call it a main frame We can hook up dumb terminals and call them 3270s.

    Oh wait, we (IBM etc.) did that 30-40 years ago, before the PC and surprise, surprise, is still doing it today.
    Exactly! haha. But 30 years ago I didn't have Windows Server, we used - As-400's? I rememebr those from the early 90's I forget what they were called, is that it? . Windows Server gave us the ability to make a mini-mainframe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Australia
    Posts : 3
    Win 7 & 8


    The Windows Store is new and as such can't compete with the likes of other online stores. Give it a bit for developers to catch up and it will get better.

    We have also put together a intro video on the Windows 8 store. Let em know what you think:

    Windows 8 Store Overview - YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sYgoIWeAM
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Windows 8 app store is the Achille's heal or cruel joke
Related Threads
It adds exactly 2 features. There is a button to click on instead of just going to the corner and clicking on the small tile that appears. Right-click adds exactly one feature, an easy way to shutdown/reboot. It does not provide the nice compact well organized Start Menu of Windows 7 and...
Joke Thread in Chillout Room
Finally after a year of waiting I can be one of the few people who can start the joke thread.;) This thread is for posting jokes. Obviously LOL
So for a few days in a row my PC has been playing music whenever I open IE11. I figured maybe one of those self-starting video ads, or perhaps even a browser hijack or virus.... I had 2 home pages, Bing and MSN, with MSN on top. To make sure it wasn't malicious, I ran complete virus scans using...
Fng joke in Chillout Room
It was suggested to me to put an FNG badge in my signature. I did so for a long time. I have now removed it because I Googled its' meaning. Which is: FNG word of the day: September 30, 2008 Military term, '****ing New Guy' usually someone just out of training or just transfered into the...
Source A Guy
Got a big Council clean-up next week, so was looking for shit to chuck away. Opened this old cardboard box and .... Lo and behold. There lay my old Amiga A500. I'm going to try to start her on the weekend...if I can still find my disks.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook