Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Lock screen timeout does not work

  1. #1


    Posts : 28
    Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

    Lock screen timeout does not work


    I have followed this tutorial to have my account lock after 15 minutes, and it does not work. The account stays open for as long as the computer is on, which is extremely frustrating. This is the biggest thing I hate about Windows 8. Why has this important security/privacy feature been overlooked?

    If anyone has a different solution to this, I'd love to learn about it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Knocks, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    That tutorial is for setting how many minutes Windows 8 will wait idle with no activity when the computer is already locked before timing out and automatically turning off the display instead.

    For what you want, you could set screen saver to the "(None)" or "blank" screen saver, check the "On resume, display logon screen" box, and set the "Wait" time to 15 minutes.
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 28
    Windows 8.1 x64 Pro


    Perfect, thanks Shawn.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    You're most welcome Knocks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Knocks, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    That tutorial is for setting how many minutes Windows 8 will wait idle with no activity when the computer is already locked before timing out and automatically turning off the display instead.

    For what you want, you could set screen saver to the "(None)" or "blank" screen saver, check the "On resume, display logon screen" box, and set the "Wait" time to 15 minutes.
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    Hey Shawn, I'm getting extremely frustrated with this issue as I've followed your guide and it still locks in 30 seconds.

    Here's the config I've set.
    Click image for larger version

    What could be going wrong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Simon, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Just to make sure, this setting is for when to turn off the display when you already have the computer locked.

    Are you saying that your computer locks after 30 seconds of inactivity?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Simon, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Just to make sure, this setting is for when to turn off the display when you already have the computer locked.

    Are you saying that your computer locks after 30 seconds of inactivity?
    Hi Brink, thanks for your follow up. Yea, the problem is that after 30 seconds of inactivity the computer locks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Well, since your PC is locking after 30 seconds, then it's not the setting in your screenshot.

    Did you check to make sure that screen saver password is not enabled using Option One below?

    Screen Saver Password Protection -Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Well, since your PC is locking after 30 seconds, then it's not the setting in your screenshot.

    Did you check to make sure that screen saver password is not enabled using Option One below?

    Screen Saver Password Protection -Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums
    hi, just checked that "On Resume..." was unchecked, but screensaver was set to (None) so I've now set it to blank and given it a 15 minute timer.

    I think that's fixed it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Lock screen timeout does not work
Related Threads
How to Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout Period in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will help show you how to change the amount of minutes Windows 8 will wait idle with no activity when the computer is already locked before timing out and automatically turning off the display. This...
Hi, new to these forums, hope I don't break any rules or anything here. My laptop is a Sony Vaio - Model: SVE141R11L Product name: SVE14135CXB Pre-loaded with Windows 8 x64 Intel(R) Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 6GB RAM w/ 900GB HDD space Purchased in Navy Exchange last year (around July...
How to Change Lock Screen Timeout Period in Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how set the screen timeout period for how often your phone will automatically lock and goes to sleep when idle in Windows Phone 8 and 8.1. EXAMPLE: Lock Screen in Windows Phone 8 40489
How to Add or Remove "Console lock display off timeout" in Power Options in Windows 8 and 8.1 Console lock display off timeout is the amount of minutes Windows will wait idle with no activity while on the lock screen before timing out and automatically turning off the display. This...
Login screen timeout... in Customization
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the timeout whereby the login screen appears asking for my password. It appears to be triggered after about 5 minutes of inactivity. Thanks Rob
Does anyone have an idea where the hell the timer for the lock screen monitor standby option is? It's not a universal setting under the power options/Turn off display which is set to 30 mins. When at the lock screen the monitor goes into standby in a minute. I want it to match the 30 min...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook