Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Radio streaming while using other applications

  1. #1


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8

    Radio streaming while using other applications


    My principal problem with my new Windows 8, and which never occurred with XP, Vista or W7, is that if I am streaming a radio programme through Chrome, then wish to work, with Word for example, the radio cuts out until I return to Chrome. How can I make both radio and Word work simultaneously ?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Much better idea -- don't use a browser - use this application -- Logictech SQUEEZE SERVER with the SQUEEZEPLAY application -- you can play your own Music as well as Internet Radio etc. BOTH FREE. It will also play music from network disks and you can stream music around the house via Wifi etc . You don't need to have the Logitech hardware - Other computers can recive the streamed media too. Uses very little resource, works on W8 x-86 and X-64 and saves you having to be in a browser when you want to do other things on your computer.

    This software can also stream to your mobile phone if you download the mobile phone app too.

    Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.8

    download ist two applications in the list

    Note - sometimes when using a browser if the Internet Radio pauses it could be one of two things -- your Internet connection isn't fast enough or the server isn't fast enough -- both causes will cause time outs and re-buffering.

    The Squeezeplay software allows you to Buffer a certain time before playing which is quite good if you are experiencing a lot of "time outs" - although the application will then take slightly longer to start. Set it say to 25 secs as a test.

    Currently listening to Classical New England (WGBH) from Boston MA.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sq1.png   sq2.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Donncadh View Post
    My principal problem with my new Windows 8, and which never occurred with XP, Vista or W7, is that if I am streaming a radio programme through Chrome, then wish to work, with Word for example, the radio cuts out until I return to Chrome. How can I make both radio and Word work simultaneously ?
    I have chrome.
    I just played a radio station & opened word & the radio kept playing.
    You said," until I return to Chrome".
    You have to leave the Chrome radio page active.
    If you close it, it's gone & the radio station is gone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Try the software I've linked to in previous post -- I think you might like it --It's all FREE and a better way of listening to music than via a browser in any case.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Thank you for the advice. But before trying that application, I still seek a way to go on as before, i.e. keep Chrome operative (in particular radio streaming) while using Office, for example. It was so natural up to now, without any additional software. My link is slowish for video, but never interferes with radio stations.
    Just tried anyway to download Squeeze server, but the installation sticks at 97%, in spite of my adjusting settings to allow it. It makes me think again that listening to internet radio was so straightforward with previous OS. Can I not go on as before with W8? I don't need wifi radio in all rooms, though it sounds attractive if you want it. I just need the sound coming out of my desktop loudspeaker while I use a word processor.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    @medab 1
    I do not close Chrome. I move to my Word screen or desktop, and the sound cuts out until I reclick on it below the desktop, or go back in the top left-hand corner. The radio plays only when Chrome is showing on screen, not while it is in the background. How do you move from Chrome to Word while retaining sound?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Donncadh View Post
    Thank you for the advice. But before trying that application, I still seek a way to go on as before, i.e. keep Chrome operative (in particular radio streaming) while using Office, for example. It was so natural up to now, without any additional software. My link is slowish for video, but never interferes with radio stations.
    Just tried anyway to download Squeeze server, but the installation sticks at 97%, in spite of my adjusting settings to allow it. It makes me think again that listening to internet radio was so straightforward with previous OS. Can I not go on as before with W8? I don't need wifi radio in all rooms, though it sounds attractive if you want it. I just need the sound coming out of my desktop loudspeaker while I use a word processor.

    IE 10 seems to work fine -- For W8 IE has been hugely improved and is more secure than chrome.
    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    @jimbo45
    I have opened IE, and indeed it remains active whatever else is on screen. Success! I have pinned the radio station icon at the bottom, so that I can go on using Chrome for other operations, and use IE for radio.
    However, without being an awkward customer, I still wonder why all Chrome activity stops whenever it is in the background.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Donncadh View Post
    @jimbo45
    I have opened IE, and indeed it remains active whatever else is on screen. Success! I have pinned the radio station icon at the bottom, so that I can go on using Chrome for other operations, and use IE for radio.
    However, without being an awkward customer, I still wonder why all Chrome activity stops whenever it is in the background.
    Indeed strange.
    Glad you found a workaround.
    It puzzles me though.
    I can minimize the Chrome radio window or just leave it in the background & the radio still plays, regardless of anything else I'm doing.
    A picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    hi, just a suggestion ,it might but not be the source of the music with the problem ,my chrome keeps running also , did you try other radio sites or streaming music site ,my favorite is this one you likely already heard of it but just in case you haven't , give it a try good luck Iceberg Radio
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Radio streaming while using other applications
Related Threads
Toshiba Bluetooth Radio in Drivers & Hardware
My syatem is Windows 8.1. This software appeared in the Windows Updates. I installed it, but it makes the bluetooth function disappear from the system , and I can't use the bluetooth function. This software does not appear in the "Uninstall Program", I can't locate its installation loaction....
Solved Radio in Chillout Room
I keep my 2 local NPR radio stations on my Taskbar for easy listening with WMP. Ordinary radio just doesn't cut it.--- 55252 55253
Internet Radio in General Support
As a dedicated late adopter, I recently moved to Windows 8.1. For two days I hated it but, not surprisingly, as I learned to use it I rather liked it. One negative was losing access to internet radio. I don't own a television or a stereo system. I have a computer with two 23" monitors and decent...
Hi there I have the Logictech Media streaming server (have a load of hardware around the house) However it CAN play locally -- but you needed SQUEEZEPLAYER on Windows (now not really available anymore). The server is still maintained both in Linux and Windows. As I usually use Linux I was...
TuneIn Radio fail in Software and Apps
I'm a new window 8.1 user and I was stunned that the TuneIn radio App is so unreliable on PC. It doesn't start streaming the station most of the time and when it does it cuts off after a few minutes. I've read the reviews in the Store and problems seem to have started for most users after a...
Hi All, I am a new user to Windows 8 and trying to understand how i can stream a radio station whilst using other programs as was the case in windows 7. Basically I load up radio streamer in Chrome and then switch to another program, the radio station stops playing out of my speakers but as...
Internet radio streaming in General Support
Hi folks, have just got new laptop with Win8 and Winmedia 12 and now trying to stream radio stations. Looked at various help pages but it appears that I do not have the required Online Stores --->Media Guide icons or Online Stores line when pressing Alt V. Any ideas what to do please ??:confused:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook