Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Difference between 8 pro upgrade and full version

  1. #11


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    if i buy a new hdd, does this mean i have to install first windows 7 and then windows 8?

    has anyone tried this ?..
    That's generally the best way to proceed if your want to dual boot the two: Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista. You will need to make sure that your Windows 7 and Windows 8 licenses are "EULA legitimate" to do the dual boot. If you want more info on this issue, then tell me the about sources of your two OS's.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    if i buy a new hdd, does this mean i have to install first windows 7 and then windows 8?

    has anyone tried this ?..
    are you meaning if you buy a new HDD as the replacement for the current boot drive that currently has windows 8?

    if you're really asking about activation, when you change the main drive, you'll have to reactivate. the easiest way is to clone your current windows 8 setup to the new drive and then reactivate.

    if you're talking about building a system fresh with a fresh new hard drive and using the upgrade version to install windows 8, I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with the upgrade version without another OS already being on the hard drive. there are workarounds for this but you're going to have to google for the dirty work as it's not officially supported.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    if i buy a new hdd, does this mean i have to install first windows 7 and then windows 8?

    has anyone tried this ?..
    That's generally the best way to proceed if your want to dual boot the two: Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista. You will need to make sure that your Windows 7 and Windows 8 licenses are "EULA legitimate" to do the dual boot. If you want more info on this issue, then tell me the about sources of your two OS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    if i buy a new hdd, does this mean i have to install first windows 7 and then windows 8?

    has anyone tried this ?..
    are you meaning if you buy a new HDD as the replacement for the current boot drive that currently has windows 8?

    if you're really asking about activation, when you change the main drive, you'll have to reactivate. the easiest way is to clone your current windows 8 setup to the new drive and then reactivate.

    if you're talking about building a system fresh with a fresh new hard drive and using the upgrade version to install windows 8, I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with the upgrade version without another OS already being on the hard drive. there are workarounds for this but you're going to have to google for the dirty work as it's not officially supported.

    hi,

    i mean, my brother will build a pc on his own, so everything will be new. he already bought his windows 8 dvd. will it let him boot? I have heard you cant install windows 8 if the drive is blank.... we have windows 7 dvd and xp dvd original too, but it would be really tedious to install them and then windows 8 -,-
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    hi,

    i mean, my brother will build a pc on his own, so everything will be new. he already bought his windows 8 dvd. will it let him boot? I have heard you cant install windows 8 if the drive is blank.... we have windows 7 dvd and xp dvd original too, but it would be really tedious to install them and then windows 8 -,-
    What sort of Win8 license does your brother have? If it's an upgrade, the officially approved method requires that the older "qualifying" OS be installed first, and then the Win8 upgrade. (Which can be a clean install.)

    Normally, an upgrade license can be installed on a hard disk that doesn't have a qualifying OS present, but the resulting installation won't activate using the upgrade key.

    I've never used them, but there are work-arounds for that:

    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade[2]=Installation and Setup

    The simplest is to refresh the unactivated Win8 installation, The result is supposed to accept an upgrade key.
    Last edited by bobkn; 19 Mar 2013 at 09:24.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    if i buy a new hdd, does this mean i have to install first windows 7 and then windows 8?

    has anyone tried this ?..
    That's generally the best way to proceed if your want to dual boot the two: Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista. You will need to make sure that your Windows 7 and Windows 8 licenses are "EULA legitimate" to do the dual boot. If you want more info on this issue, then tell me the about sources of your two OS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    if i buy a new hdd, does this mean i have to install first windows 7 and then windows 8?

    has anyone tried this ?..
    are you meaning if you buy a new HDD as the replacement for the current boot drive that currently has windows 8?

    if you're really asking about activation, when you change the main drive, you'll have to reactivate. the easiest way is to clone your current windows 8 setup to the new drive and then reactivate.

    if you're talking about building a system fresh with a fresh new hard drive and using the upgrade version to install windows 8, I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with the upgrade version without another OS already being on the hard drive. there are workarounds for this but you're going to have to google for the dirty work as it's not officially supported.

    1. he already bought his windows 8 dvd. will it let him boot? I have heard you cant install windows 8 if the drive is blank....

    2. we have windows 7 dvd and xp dvd original too, but it would be really tedious to install them and then windows 8 -,-
    ​1. What version did he buy core or Pro? Did he buy an upgrade disc or system builder disc. Has it already been installed on another machine? Neither can be installed on two or more machines at a time. Yes, it will let him boot, and can be installed if the drive is blank. If upgrade, then can't install without having qualifying software--the use of which would be forfeited while Win8 is installed. The qualifying software need not be installed. If not, then likely to have to use the refresh procedure described here to activate: Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade.

    2. What is the source of your Win7? You may not be able to use it in an EULA-consistent fashion if it is an upgrade. If it was an upgrade to an OEM preinstalled XP or Vista, then you won't be able to use it. Otherwise it should be OK unless installed on another machine and you are not using the original software upgraded from. If retail full install DVD, you can use it unless it already it is installed on another machine.
    Last edited by znod; 19 Mar 2013 at 21:49.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Let's back up a little bit fellas, say to December 2012.

    There were promos, cheap prices.

    I bought a new HP with Windows 8 factory installed. It was OEM version with HP's license. It was not Win 8 Pro.

    The difference between Win 8 OEM and Win 8 Pro is that Pro has some additional encryption that you don't get with Win 8 OEM

    One of my computers hard drive crashed. I replaced it, a Seagate Barracuda 500 GB. It was bare. I bought Windows 8 Pro at Staples. It came with 2 discs, 32 bit and 64 bit. I installed the 64 bit on the bare hard drive. Works just fine.

    My new HP bogged down. So I used the same 64 bit disc and upgraded the Win 8 OEM to Windows 8 Pro. No problem. I'm surprised that they didn't ask for the product key number.


    I tried to install the Win 8 32 bit on another computer with Vistas Home Premium. No dice. Rejected.


    A couple of weeks ago I was in Best Buy. That's after the promo ended and prices went up. They had three *( 3 ) versions of Windows 8. One for $69.95. One for $119.95. And One for $199.95

    The $119.95 version was the equivalent of the OEM. Back in December that version was not available for sale in our stores around here or on line.

    The $199.95 was the Windows 8 Pro version which comes with enhanced encryption. *( Home owners/users don't need that ).

    The $69.95 version, after promo, is a Windows 8 Pro upgrade from Windows 8 OEM type and NOT upgrade from Windows 7 or other. Apparently all you get is the enhanced encryption.

    I'm only speaking to in the box in store. Not on line downloads.

    Now to muddy the water even more, I'm hearing about a Student/Professor version of Win 8 for around $39.95 if you can prove your eligibility.

    There are separate from the builders license and Enterprise versions which are not for sale in stores here in my area. These are purchased from Microsoft.

    Seems as though Microsoft's marketing/sales and offerings changed pre-promo and post-promo.

    I'll add that so far as I know the Windows Media Center is still a purchased add on that you order from the Apps store in your Win 8 on your computer. This is to hook up TV and Video. My understanding is that you must have Win 8 Pro installed to make it work.

    So Microsoft Windows 8 has a whole repertoire of offerings. The strategy or philosophy for staging these in increments is apparently to allow buyers to select what fits their need and doesn't load the whole enchilada onto the buyer all at once with the full version which they may not want or need.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    I tried to install the Win 8 32 bit on another computer with Vistas Home Premium. No dice. Rejected.
    that because the key you got with it was to be used for either or ,32bit or 64bit , not both
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Absolutely correct
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    What sort of Win8 license does your brother have? If it's an upgrade, the officially approved method requires that the older "qualifying" OS be installed first, and then the Win8 upgrade. (Which can be a clean install.)

    Normally, an upgrade license can be installed on a hard disk that doesn't have a qualifying OS present, but the resulting installation won't activate using the upgrade key.

    I've never used them, but there are work-arounds for that:

    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade[2]=Installation and Setup

    The simplest is to refresh the unactivated Win8 installation, The result is supposed to accept an upgrade key.
    Yea, I have read this too, that if you want to install windows 8 in a blank cd you have to install it twice and it will activate.

    My brother owns a sony vaio which came with windows 7 home premium oem, so he bought the upgrade and got the media center code too (we asked for the dvd to be shipped and it came just 2 weeks ago). I think he received an email saying that he had to activate his media center code before february 1st or it wasnt gonna work after that, so he installed windows 8 on a virtual pc and activated the media center, after that he uninstalled the virtual pc and is currently using windows 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    ​1. What version did he buy core or Pro? Did he buy an upgrade disc or system builder disc. Has it already been installed on another machine? Neither can be installed on two or more machines at a time. Yes, it will let him boot, and can be installed if the drive is blank. If upgrade, then can't install without having qualifying software--the use of which would be forfeited while Win8 is installed. The qualifying software need not be installed. If not, then likely to have to use the refresh procedure described here to activate: Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade.
    Hi, he is not using windows 8. he just activated it on a virtual pc to not lose his media center code, but he is not using windows 8 on his laptop. he wants to use it on his new build pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    2. What is the source of your Win7? You may not be able to use it in an EULA-consistent fashion if it is an upgrade. It it was an upgrade to an OEM preinstalled XP or Vista, then you won't be able to use it. Otherwise it should be OK unless installed on another machine and you are not using the original software upgraded from. If retail full install DVD, you can use it unless it already it is installed on another machine.
    Sorry I dont understand the part that says that I cant use it if the pc comes with oem xp or vista ?? why ?

    ---
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by qwetymikey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    ​1. What version did he buy core or Pro? Did he buy an upgrade disc or system builder disc. Has it already been installed on another machine? Neither can be installed on two or more machines at a time. Yes, it will let him boot, and can be installed if the drive is blank. If upgrade, then can't install without having qualifying software--the use of which would be forfeited while Win8 is installed. The qualifying software need not be installed. If not, then likely to have to use the refresh procedure described here to activate: Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade.
    Hi, he is not using windows 8. he just activated it on a virtual pc to not lose his media center code, but he is not using windows 8 on his laptop. he wants to use it on his new build pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    2. What is the source of your Win7? You may not be able to use it in an EULA-consistent fashion if it is an upgrade. If it was an upgrade to an OEM preinstalled XP or Vista, then you won't be able to use it. Otherwise it should be OK unless installed on another machine and you are not using the original software upgraded from. If retail full install DVD, you can use it unless it already it is installed on another machine.
    Sorry I dont understand the part that says that I cant use it if the pc comes with oem xp or vista ?? why ?

    ---
    ​1. If Win8 activated on virtual, then it is being used.

    2. Yes, I said "if it was an upgrade to an OEM preinstalled XP or Vista, then you won't be able to use it." Is such a case, the upgrade was machine specific--meaning that the upgrade medium cannot be used on another machine in a EULA-consistent way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Difference between 8 pro upgrade and full version
Related Threads
New win 8 full version install in Installation & Setup
I will soon install w8 full, now have w7, will i be able to use w7 rescue to reset to w7 and when i need to, reset to w8 using w8 full install disc as rescue disc?? Dalton
I bought this at my local Future Shop, and from my best guess I think this is the full version. I want to be able to do a clean install, but am unsure if this is just a simple upgrade disc. Box I bought looks like the attachment. Sales reps didn't seem to knowledgeable. Also want to confirm, this...
Hello there. I have a copy of Windows 8 Professional installed that is the full version that I downloaded and I want to make it legitimate by purchasing a key for it to activate my copy. Is this possible? I looked online and you can only buy the upgrade and I do not have a previous version of...
I have windows 7 Professional on my laptop at the present. If i order the Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) will it give me the option to up grade or will i have to replace all my programs?
I will be installing Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) on my Laptop and using a mouse and touch pad (have a Microsoft Wedge ordered). On this particular version will the touch screen option be available? From the research I have done I think as far as I can tell I will have the option...
Has anyone tried upgrading from the RC version to the retail version or do I need to delete the RC version first? Also, what has been your experience upgrading WIn 7 64-bit vs a clean install? :D Jon in Vegas
Read more at: Windows 8: The end of the full retail version? | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook