Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Just installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

  1. #11


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I have one PC where a wired connection is not an option. Not unless I run a 50 ft Ethernet cable up the stairs and though the hallways. That or drag the whole desktop PC down to the basement. I only have one wired PC in the whole house and that's because its only 3 ft from my router. All our laptops connect wirelessly. It might be slower but it works and I personally haven't had any problems doing updates over a wireless connection. I'm just saying.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    anyone notice that you are just talking to yourself as the OP has yet to return and respond to the first suggestions ,lol
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Lol! If you figure out where it comes from can you let me know?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    anyone notice that you are just talking to yourself as the OP has yet to return and respond to the first suggestions ,lol
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
    yeah, thats normal, your closer to Sydney River[the building is gone the spirits linger] than i am

    as for wireless i use-to run a belkin pre N wireless router over 400 ft across the filed to my sister in-law and she could get all her updates no problems ,download program from sites like filehippo at 400&500 k/second ,that was a few years ago,don't do it any longer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Are you trying to run updates on wireless computers?
    Why does anyone force updates? Updates are managed automatically.
    Why do people think a wireless connection can provide the same bandwidth as broadband Ethernet?
    Yes, I was doing this on computers that were connected via wireless.

    I forced updates because I was getting computers ready at work for imaging. I'm not going to sit around and wait for it to update on it's own.

    Wireless can support 54Mbps-300Mbps, that's a lot faster than my broadband provides. So, yes I expect just as fast performance when the updates are coming from the Internet when I am on wireless as I do a wired connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I have installed Windows 8 maybe 30 times and have never had an issue with Windows updates.
    Updates have always occurred during reboot and take about 20 to 30 seconds or less.
    During a new build of Windows 8, the first run of Windows update was nearly 35 updates and it was around 500MB. Mine wasn't even close to completing in 20-30 seconds. The second run was another 5 or so updates, and was another 400+MB.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Many users think Windows 8 is like Windows 7 and go to Windows Update and select everything because they think they need it.
    When it comes to the security updates and such, they are all needed. I'm not installing Optional stuff.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    You got me curious about wireless now.

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Wireless can support 54Mbps-300Mbps, that's a lot faster than my broadband provides. So, yes I expect just as fast performance when the updates are coming from the Internet when I am on wireless as I do a wired connection.
    Are you referring to Fios Quantum (54 to 300Mbps)? What is Fios Quantum? Is that theoretical or real?
    I will need to do some research on this topic because it is my current understanding that some form of cable must bring the net into a modem to a router and then a wireless transmitter where it is distributed to a wireless network.

    My plan is currently 50/10

    Click image for larger version

    I don't need the extreme high end stuff. Some of the latest high speed technologies are not available everywhere.
    Cable is not available everywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    When it comes to the security updates and such, they are all needed. I'm not installing Optional stuff.
    I am not sure how needed they actually are. If you are trying to CYA for employment purposes, then I understand, otherwise, updates can be managed by the Operating System. Everyone does not need to hurrily connect in dire panic to windows update so they have every cotton pickin update because they believe their system won't function correctly without it or they might be vulnerable because they are not up to date. I think Kapersky and others have options to update their definitions several times an hour. That level of security seems unnecessary to me for the average home user. Windows 8 is protected by defender, a firewall and anti malware programming, is it not?
    Last edited by mdmd; 16 Mar 2013 at 22:07.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    mdmd,

    The standard for wireless is usually 802.11g (54Mbps) or Wireless N (up to 300Mpbs). This is simply for a router in your home, I'm not talking about wireless provided by your Internet service provider. For that, I have cable at home and fibre at work.

    You say you have 50/10 plan. Well, that's very, very fast. My ISP provides me with 15/2...and i consider that to be plenty fast enough. In your case, with 50 megabits per second of download speeds, if you are close to your router and you get 54 megabits per second over wireless than your wireless won't be a bottleneck. In my case, were I only get 15 megabits per second, even if I am a distance from my router and not getting the full speed, I will easily get 15 megabits per second.

    In many cases, you won't need the updates right at the very start to ensure your machine functions. But when you are building a machine and likely making an image, it's good to get them all included before you make your image...this way if you put the image back down later, you don't have to waste time downloading and installing the updates again.

    Many updates are security based in nature, and the likelyhood of getting compromised on a new install is very small. but some updates are functional in nature or fix known problems discovered with the software after release. It's hard to tell whether these types of problems would cause you a problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I was also referring to wireless via my wireless router. I think my plan is 20/2.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I was also referring to wireless via my wireless router. I think my plan is 20/2.
    i just realized they are referring to a wireless provider like Seaside Cable Wireless here locally ,or Telsat G4 across Canada ,a lot slower than wireless through cable modem hooked to wifi router .now i get it !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Just installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Related Threads
windows 8 pre installed in Installation & Setup
I bought a computer with windows 8 pre installed ,i have a full windows 7 .is their a way I can installlwindows 7 ?
Hi All, Can i buy and install windows 7 onto my pc which came with windows 8? Thanks
KB2919442 installed then not installed in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit If I go to Control Panel/Windows Update/View Update History KB2919442 is shown as installed successfully on the 12 March 2014 "BUT" if I go to Control Panel/Windows Update/Installed Updates there is no KB2919442 listed. If I download KB2919442 directly...
so I was downloading the updates to windows 8.1, but it wasn't going anywhere so I rebooted. Then on reboot, I try again and it's not showing up on the store. I hit the back button a few times and saw the link again, but it says it's already installed. Now I am pretty sure it didn't get...
Right now, I do not have any operating system cause i formatted everything while trying to install windows 8 which did not work out because the disk is GPT. How do I install Win 8 now? I can operate the system via linux though, but through a flash drive cause even linux is not being installed.. ...
Can't installed windows 8 in Installation & Setup
hi i am having trouble installing windows 8 in my computer right now... i have windows 7 home Premium 64bit running. i bought windows 8 pro download from microsoft but what happen is that i download the file everything seems fine but once it restarts to the new windows 8 blue logo loading screen...
So it all started a week ago, and I was using my Dev machine to install 8 but I didn't partition. All I have is the Windows 7 Product key on the side, Home Premium. Can I use it to upgrade?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook