Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 won't shut down.

  1. #1


    Posts : 17
    windows 8

    Windows 8 won't shut down.


    Up until today, I haven't been able to shut down, restart, or put to sleep my computer. Usually when I close the laptop and open it back up, it locks it self, but this time it can't even do that.
    I've already tried executing tasks in the task manager, turning off the fast start-up, but nothing seems to work.
    I've looked around for other options but I don't really understand them much, I am not good with computer stuff :\

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    hi, right click on the lower left corner to bring up the start icon ,right click on it ,choose power options near the top of the list ,go in there and setup a power plan.
    then ,to shut off the computer ,mouse over the lower right corner to open the charms bar ,click on the settings icon ,then the power icon on the bottom
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 17
    windows 8


    Which power plan do I choose?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Faina View Post
    Up until today, I haven't been able to shut down, restart, or put to sleep my computer. Usually when I close the laptop and open it back up, it locks it self, but this time it can't even do that.
    I've already tried executing tasks in the task manager, turning off the fast start-up, but nothing seems to work.
    I've looked around for other options but I don't really understand them much, I am not good with computer stuff :\
    Check this thread out: Shutdown/Restart from windows menu doesn't work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 17
    windows 8


    I typed in the CMD and ran it as administrator but nothing happened

    EDIT:
    *Also, I opened it and typed in 'sfc scannow' and pressed enter but it said:

    'You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility'
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Yes, check out the tutorial instructions for sfc /scannow. Try option 2. Are you logged in as an administrator?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Faina View Post
    Which power plan do I choose?
    that's up to you ,one that suites you need best ,some people need to save power,so they set it to turn of monitor ,hibernate ,turn off harddrive ect ect ,some don't ,

    personally i use none in all categories ,i have never used hibernate or sleep or shutdown harddrive ,because they cause to many problems ,in my opinion ,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Faina View Post
    I typed in the CMD and ran it as administrator but nothing happened

    EDIT:
    *Also, I opened it and typed in 'sfc scannow' and pressed enter but it said:

    also you are missing the forward slash in the command , 'sfc scannow' should be 'sfc /scannow'
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 17
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Faina View Post
    I typed in the CMD and ran it as administrator but nothing happened

    EDIT:
    *Also, I opened it and typed in 'sfc scannow' and pressed enter but it said:

    also you are missing the forward slash in the command , 'sfc scannow' should be 'sfc /scannow'
    ... It still says the same thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Faina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Faina View Post
    I typed in the CMD and ran it as administrator but nothing happened

    EDIT:
    *Also, I opened it and typed in 'sfc scannow' and pressed enter but it said:

    also you are missing the forward slash in the command , 'sfc scannow' should be 'sfc /scannow'
    ... It still says the same thing.
    ok, did you put a space between , sfc and /scannow
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 won't shut down.
Related Threads
please help me bro ! my windows 8.1 cant shut down. the indication is, if i plug my flashdisc it can't be detected. if that thing happen, my windows 8.1 will not shut down ! :cry:
Solved Windows 8 Shut down in Network & Sharing
I had a problem with the wireless adapter on my PC. When the PC started up it didn't recognise the adapter and I had to pull it out and push it back in for it to recognise it. If I did a restart the PC recognised the adapter. The problem is how Windows 8 shuts down. If you restart, it does a...
Solved Windows 8 won't shut down in Performance & Maintenance
Hi guys. Does anyone have similar problem with this. Everything goes as it should, and when computer should shut down, monitor turns off but computer still works(leds on the case, fans and so on). I don't know what's happening, and why? It's not everytime when i shut it down, but it just happens....
Uh, well, now I'm trying to shut down my computer, but can't find out how after installing Windows 8? Can anyone tell me? Thanks!
Hello all, I'm using Windows 8 Professional (got it from MSDNAA as soon as it appeared there :p) and it seems to me that Windows 8 doesn't really shut down properly. I attached an image taken with Snipping Tool and it showed that the CPU up-time is 4 days etc etc.. The inconsistency here is,...
After clicking "Shut Down" I receive an error message "There is not a disk in Drive E" and given option to retry on cancel. Retry is to no avail. I have to manually press the power button to shut down. Anyone experience this or similar issue ? Thanks for any reply. (I installed the...
Solved Windows 8 wont Shut Down in General Support
When I go to shut down, I get the above message. If I hit Cancel multiple times the screen eventually goes off, but the computer remains on with hard-drive activity continuing. I have to do a forced shut-down to turn it off. In Sleep mode everything works properly. I have no drive F:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook