Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Shutdown/Restart from windows menu doesn't work

  1. #1


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8.1

    Shutdown/Restart from windows menu doesn't work


    So I've tried to shutdown my PC 2 days ago with the shutdown key in the settings menu (or windows menu because I'm using Start8) and it doesn't work, same for restart, sleep and all that option, so what to do?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Try turning fast startup off: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Try turning fast startup off: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8.
    Doesn't work, still can't shutdown or restart

    EDIT : I used dskchk via CMD for Disk C and it works now

    Second EDIT : the problem re-appeared
    Last edited by imso3k; 10 Mar 2013 at 17:39.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8.1


    bump
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    go to start screen, type cmd, right click and open as admin, type sfc scannow and click enter/ok, let it run... add your machine model in your my system specs from your profile...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    go to start screen, type cmd, right click and open as admin, type sfc scannow and click enter/ok, let it run... add your machine model in your my system specs from your profile...
    I Did it and got this message
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    You need to post the cbs.log so we can have a look...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    You need to post the cbs.log so we can have a look...
    I've attached the file below
    Shutdown/Restart from windows menu doesn't work Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by imso3k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    go to start screen, type cmd, right click and open as admin, type sfc scannow and click enter/ok, let it run... add your machine model in your my system specs from your profile...
    I Did it and got this message
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
    Run SCF /SCANNOW multiple times--at least two more. Also, try automatic repair. If you can't run automatic repair from within Win8, then run it from an install DVD or flash drive or from a system repair disc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imso3k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    go to start screen, type cmd, right click and open as admin, type sfc scannow and click enter/ok, let it run... add your machine model in your my system specs from your profile...
    I Did it and got this message
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
    Run SCF /SCANNOW multiple times--at least two more. Also, try automatic repair. If you can't run automatic repair from within Win8, then run it from an install DVD or flash drive or from a system repair disc.
    Runned it three times, same error. and for automatic repair, it said that it cannot fix my PC, I tried it 3 times via installation disc
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Shutdown/Restart from windows menu doesn't work
Related Threads
windows store apps don't work after a restart and shutdown. surface pro 1. have tried ms fixit file which said display driver might be out of date but couldnt fix it, device manager says display driver is uptodate and offers no way to rollback either. uninstalled the apps but windows store...
Whenever i try to shutdown or restart my laptop,the screen turns of but the wifi and the hdd don't,so i have to turn it of by holding the power button.I have tried several tweaks including turning of fast boot but to no avail.This problem started after a windows update,i tried to uninstall the...
windows 8 shutdown/restart problem in Performance & Maintenance
hi i have recently bought a samsung series 5 laptop with windows 8 installed on it. after a week or so, my laptop would not shut down or restart. i have read previous forms and i have tried everything. when i click on shutdown, or restart, nothing happens. there is no error, nothing. i have tried...
Hi there after successfully applying the 2 updates that people have had trouble with I can no longer shut down or restart my computer. Only a hard switchoff get it to stop. No Viruses and ran the /scannow. !! Computer is usually NOT on the internet and even if it were there's nothing a...
Cant Shutdown or Restart Windows 8 in Performance & Maintenance
Hi everyone, I am not able to shutdown or restart the windows by clicking the button in the start. I can only sleep my computer. I click shutdown and restart and nothing happens. Do you know where should be the problem? do you have same problem? Thank you for your replies.
Running Windows 8 Dev. Preview on a Dell Latitude D610 (1.73Ghz, 2GB). System Hibernates fine (my main mode of powering off) but will not properly shutdown or restart. Every time I hit shutdown/restart it goes to a black screen. I know that it's still running because the power light is still on and...
I recently installed windows 8 on my rig and I have the following problems 1) When I press shutdown, the screen dims, but the computer is still on. I have to do it manually and when it starts back up, it doesn't complain about improper shutdown. 2) All of my videos freeze. Whether it's flash...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook