Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Does anyone from Microsoft read these threads?

  1. #1


    Seaford
    Posts : 3
    Windows 8

    Does anyone from Microsoft read these threads?


    I've read 'all' the reviews urging new windows 8 users to be patient and give it time. I followed the advice and have given it 8 weeks... I'm no IT slouch or geek for that matter, just a long time user of window program's, and up to now have always appreciated the developments Microsoft have brought to new OS even windows Vista had some good points... But as far as I am concerned windows 8 has taken several steps back. I have installed an add on start program and have found ways to shut down, search more easily and recover the facility to find recent documents according to the app used. But what possessed them to write an OS that does not meet the needs of the desk top PC? I use a tablet, a smartphone and a laptop too and maybe there is a case for this OS on this kind of hardware, but it just does not make sense on a static machine that is built for work.
    Is there a light on the horizon? Does anyone have any inside knowledge on what we might expect from Microsoft, to fix this mess for people who still need to use a PC built for work?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    I'm sure they do.

    What about the FBI or Hollywood CEO's -- do you think they logon to Torrentfreak or even download torrents themselves for all sorts of purposes. I'm sure they do.

    It's not even unknown for company staff to "Pirate" their own software or leak info about it enabling others to design bypass hacks etc etc.


    There is currently a court case pending of an "Agent Provocateur" type where it's being alleged that Hollywood itself uploaded a DVD screener of the Jack Reacher movie. - DVD screeners usually have some sort of unique identifier as these are given out in advance of the cinema release for publicity etc and the distribution is quite carefully controlled. Of course some of these do make it to torrent sites.

    It appears that an uploader was a Hollywood "Insider" alleging they were doing this to "entrap" illegal downloaders.

    Now apart from the pretty dreadful film (OK YMMV but I love the novels --the film was horrible BTW -- and I didn't get it from a torrent) using these types of tactics in our part of the world immediately renders an instant dismissal of any case where this type of evidence is used on behalf of the prosecution. - It might seem a "legit" way to catch criminals -- but the logic is the crime should be entirely pre-mediated. Almost coercing people into committing a crime and then arresting them -- No Go here. Slightly different rules apply for "Shop lifting" etc.

    I'm sure the Vatican logs on to Al Jazeera etc --why not --always pays to know what "The opposition" is thinking or how their mind set works. I know it's true also the other way around.

    So I'd suspect that a lot of Ms people DO read these Forums (hopefully not for malevolent purposes).

    Remember that Work PC's are essentially a diminishing sale -- especially as more and more are going the "Bring your own Route" and those that don't are replacing workstations with company laptops.

    The whole nature of what you have to do at work with a computer is also changing -- there really isn't much I can't do at work using a Windows 8 PC compared with a Windows 7 one -- once I've logged on to the work VPN / servers (one is still XP the other W7) the desktop looks and behaves exactly like XP / W7 -- All W8 needs is basically a start up script after boot to automatically start the login process to your VPN.

    I'm lucky -- at work I have a "Bring your own" policy --I've tried both W7 and W8 -- I really have no probs connecting to our VPN's with the W8 machine --difficulty is IMO GROSSLY overdone.

    I can't see what's hard about that or what major change do you need in the way you work.

    Whether you LIKE or DISLIKE the new GUI isn't the issue here - some will like it others will hate it - but as people have pointed out you can make W8 look and behave almost exactly to W7 with a little bit of work. YOU NEVER NEED TO USE METRO - the desktop works more or less just like W7 in Windowed mode.

    What Ms needs to do is to allow people to organise their workspaces EASILY -- for example it's a wee pain being able to pin an application ICON to the desktop --you need a little backdoor method to do it whereas in W7 this could be done straight from the menu ==>sent to desktop (create short cut).

    In W8 you have to get into search the application, then from the start screen right mouse click to get the bottom screen set of options, then chose open file location, then right mouse click on the .exe pgm and then choose send to desktop --a bit cumbersome compared with W7 to achieve the same result - but you only need to do it once.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 16 Feb 2013 at 04:41.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Seaford
    Posts : 3
    Windows 8

    Am I a dying breed


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    I'm sure they do.

    What about the FBI or Hollywood CEO's -- do you think they logon to Torrentfreak or even download torrents themselves for all sorts of purposes. I'm sure they do.

    It's not even unknown for company staff to "Pirate" their own software or leak info about it enabling others to design bypass hacks etc etc.


    There is currently a court case pending of an "Agent Provocateur" type where it's being alleged that Hollywood itself uploaded a DVD screener of the Jack Reacher movie. - DVD screeners usually have some sort of unique identifier as these are given out in advance of the cinema release for publicity etc and the distribution is quite carefully controlled. Of course some of these do make it to torrent sites.

    It appears that an uploader was a Hollywood "Insider" alleging they were doing this to "entrap" illegal downloaders.

    Now apart from the pretty dreadful film (OK YMMV but I love the novels --the film was horrible BTW -- and I didn't get it from a torrent) using these types of tactics in our part of the world immediately renders an instant dismissal of any case where this type of evidence is used on behalf of the prosecution. - It might seem a "legit" way to catch criminals -- but the logic is the crime should be entirely pre-mediated. Almost coercing people into committing a crime and then arresting them -- No Go here. Slightly different rules apply for "Shop lifting" etc.

    I'm sure the Vatican logs on to Al Jazeera etc --why not --always pays to know what "The opposition" is thinking or how their mind set works. I know it's true also the other way around.

    So I'd suspect that a lot of Ms people DO read these Forums (hopefully not for malevolent purposes).

    Remember that Work PC's are essentially a diminishing sale -- especially as more and more are going the "Bring your own Route" and those that don't are replacing workstations with company laptops.

    The whole nature of what you have to do at work with a computer is also changing -- there really isn't much I can't do at work using a Windows 8 PC compared with a Windows 7 one -- once I've logged on to the work VPN / servers (one is still XP the other W7) the desktop looks and behaves exactly like XP / W7 -- All W8 needs is basically a start up script after boot to automatically start the login process to your VPN.

    I'm lucky -- at work I have a "Bring your own" policy --I've tried both W7 and W8 -- I really have no probs connecting to our VPN's with the W8 machine --difficulty is IMO GROSSLY overdone.

    I can't see what's hard about that or what major change do you need in the way you work.

    Whether you LIKE or DISLIKE the new GUI isn't the issue here - some will like it others will hate it - but as people have pointed out you cam make W8 look and behave almost exactly to W7 with a little bit of work. What Ms needs to do is to allow people to organise their workspaces EASILY -- for example it's a wee pain being able to pin an application ICON to the desktop --you need a little backdoor method to do it whereas in W7 this could be done straight from the menu ==>sent to desktop (create short cut).

    In W8 you have to get into search the application, then from the start screen right mouse click to get the bottom screen set of options, then chose open file location, then right mouse click on the .exe pgm and then choose send to desktop --a bit cumbersome compared with W7 to achieve the same result - but you only need to do it once.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks Jimbo, seems like I am a dying breed then, I don't work in a company, I am more or less a one woman band, but I do use my powerful desktop PC for all kinds of activities. I cannot do on my laptop what I can do on my desktop, things like graphic work, video editing, and hefty document publishing. And as you say maybe in the future Microsoft (I reserve the MS inititials for the disease Multiple Sclerosis which features prominently in my family) will resurrect some of the more useful aspects of Vista and 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Dovechick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    I'm sure they do.

    What about the FBI or Hollywood CEO's -- do you think they logon to Torrentfreak or even download torrents themselves for all sorts of purposes. I'm sure they do.

    It's not even unknown for company staff to "Pirate" their own software or leak info about it enabling others to design bypass hacks etc etc.


    There is currently a court case pending of an "Agent Provocateur" type where it's being alleged that Hollywood itself uploaded a DVD screener of the Jack Reacher movie. - DVD screeners usually have some sort of unique identifier as these are given out in advance of the cinema release for publicity etc and the distribution is quite carefully controlled. Of course some of these do make it to torrent sites.

    It appears that an uploader was a Hollywood "Insider" alleging they were doing this to "entrap" illegal downloaders.

    Now apart from the pretty dreadful film (OK YMMV but I love the novels --the film was horrible BTW -- and I didn't get it from a torrent) using these types of tactics in our part of the world immediately renders an instant dismissal of any case where this type of evidence is used on behalf of the prosecution. - It might seem a "legit" way to catch criminals -- but the logic is the crime should be entirely pre-mediated. Almost coercing people into committing a crime and then arresting them -- No Go here. Slightly different rules apply for "Shop lifting" etc.

    I'm sure the Vatican logs on to Al Jazeera etc --why not --always pays to know what "The opposition" is thinking or how their mind set works. I know it's true also the other way around.

    So I'd suspect that a lot of Ms people DO read these Forums (hopefully not for malevolent purposes).

    Remember that Work PC's are essentially a diminishing sale -- especially as more and more are going the "Bring your own Route" and those that don't are replacing workstations with company laptops.

    The whole nature of what you have to do at work with a computer is also changing -- there really isn't much I can't do at work using a Windows 8 PC compared with a Windows 7 one -- once I've logged on to the work VPN / servers (one is still XP the other W7) the desktop looks and behaves exactly like XP / W7 -- All W8 needs is basically a start up script after boot to automatically start the login process to your VPN.

    I'm lucky -- at work I have a "Bring your own" policy --I've tried both W7 and W8 -- I really have no probs connecting to our VPN's with the W8 machine --difficulty is IMO GROSSLY overdone.

    I can't see what's hard about that or what major change do you need in the way you work.

    Whether you LIKE or DISLIKE the new GUI isn't the issue here - some will like it others will hate it - but as people have pointed out you cam make W8 look and behave almost exactly to W7 with a little bit of work. What Ms needs to do is to allow people to organise their workspaces EASILY -- for example it's a wee pain being able to pin an application ICON to the desktop --you need a little backdoor method to do it whereas in W7 this could be done straight from the menu ==>sent to desktop (create short cut).

    In W8 you have to get into search the application, then from the start screen right mouse click to get the bottom screen set of options, then chose open file location, then right mouse click on the .exe pgm and then choose send to desktop --a bit cumbersome compared with W7 to achieve the same result - but you only need to do it once.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks Jimbo, seems like I am a dying breed then, I don't work in a company, I am more or less a one woman band, but I do use my powerful desktop PC for all kinds of activities. I cannot do on my laptop what I can do on my desktop, things like graphic work, video editing, and hefty document publishing. And as you say maybe in the future Microsoft (I reserve the MS inititials for the disease Multiple Sclerosis which features prominently in my family) will resurrect some of the more useful aspects of Vista and 7.
    Hi there
    Of course there are situations where you need a conventional workstation -- I'm referring to probably around 85% of office type work these days.

    I'm not sure how useful or otherwise W8 is for people with impaired facilities -- but I can't believe a large corporation Microsoft will have ignored this group -- so far in discussions of W8 it doesn't seem to have come up.

    Perhaps an idea here is to state your experience in this area to Microsoft - and see what they come up with -- maybe you'll get a nice "Test packet" from them perhaps with some special hardware. -- Always worth a try.

    Good Luck.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Dovechick View Post
    Is there a light on the horizon? Does anyone have any inside knowledge on what we might expect from Microsoft, to fix this mess for people who still need to use a PC built for work?
    I've linked a few things that might help you below. Personally, I see no problem with doing the same things of the desktop that i always have done. That doesn't mean I am thrilled with Win8 though.

    On (Almost) Using Only the Desktop


    Share Win8 Tutorial-Related Improvements for Mutal Benefit

    Yes, lots aren't thrilled with numbers of things WRT Win8. However, those "opposed" probably get an exaggerated amount of press--posting on sites that deal with problems and gripes--like this one (i.e., in general, "ordinary" users without problems problems and don't spend time here). MS may be able to ignore most of the complaints (MS probably does some reading on sites like this one), but I hope not. To see what I am talking about, check this thread out. Read it all the way through. You'll see that those posting here appear to be positive, in general, about Win8 (i.e., looking at the survey results so suggests). Towards the end, I mention the things that I think MS should get around to changing in Win9. Nothing original here. But, note that other data suggest that even those liking Win8 would tend to be happy to see the changes I mention.

    Relative Ease in Understanding How Windows 8 Works
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    They kind of did...
    Click image for larger version
    Nothing is what I miss from the start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Hi Dovechick,

    You are not a dying breed.

    There are plenty who do not want to be exhorted into a costly subscription based service, or be spied on constantly , or have control removed from them .

    There are a few who don't understand what is going on and appear besotted by the simple little squares. Don't pay any attention to them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Unfortunately, Microsoft has ignored the fact that everyone is an individual, with individual tastes, and have instead attempted to foist sameness on everyone. Some like this sameness, but some like Brussels sprouts as well. We'll just have to wait and see whether the sprout lovers win or lose.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    I do love brussell sprouts.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    I'm perfectly happy for others to have the option to eat Brussels sprouts, as long as I have the alternative of carrots.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Does anyone from Microsoft read these threads?
Related Threads
I have about 12 Crome Google threads running in Task Manager Processes. When I end one another starts. My CPU is running at 90 % to 100 %. Does anyone know how I can end whatever program is running that keeps spawning Crome Google processes? I have Windows 8 OS. Thanks in advance!
Solved How to read HDD in Drivers & Hardware
Hi @ll, I just finished a clean install. Win.8.1.1 is not reading my backup HDD 2TB. Here is a png and I need that to be able to installed my others software from my only backup. 41709 Thank you.:cool:
Hi there coming from an older generation and bought up on "Netiquette" I just cannot understand it when a load of people post queries requesting help and after a few replies the OP just disappears from the scene. Surely it actually doesn't involve ANY effort -- even on a mobile phone -- just to...
Not sure this is the right place for this thread, but couldn't find a place dedicated to forum problem. Anyhoo, is anyone else having this problem? When I scroll down a thread, after I'm about half way down, the view of the posts stretches to cover the full width of the monitor screen, while...
Two Thumbs Up to the Posting features that come with this Forum. I love the way that it inserts start and end tags if you Bold a word or Underline, that is so cool! (Ok the simplest things in life excite me. ) And when you want to create a bullet list, wow, select the lines and click Bullets and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook