Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Lenovo Ideacentre recovery loop Hell

  1. #1


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8

    Lenovo Ideacentre recovery loop Hell


    Not sure how to escape this infinite loop. It started with me copying the OEM recovery partition from my Ideacentre b540 to an external hard drive to free space on my desktop hard drive. I tested the recovery program and it couldn't locate the recovery drive.

    I went ahead and copied the recovery partition back to the desktop hard drive to restore to essentially default settings. I tried the recovery program again but this time got stuck in an infinite loop where I'm told windows can't run the script X:\onekey\main\lrscall.vbs.

    I'm thinking when I copied the recovery partition back to the desktop it was formatted with drive letter H instead of X so the path is messed up. I know my windows 8 partition is fine. meaning niot corrupt, but cannot boot to it anymore, the computer keeps trying to boot to recovery

    Can someone please help me get out of this loop?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    This is a tutorial by Lenovo using the Windows 8 USB Drive Recovery app.

    Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo Think system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload


    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    NOTE: From this point forward in the recovery process, the choices for actual operating system recovery depend on the existing state of the computer hard drive.

    Below are the instructions if there is an existing Microsoft Windows 8 install on the hard drive.
    1.Select the target operating system of Microsoft Windows 8 to reload over existing Lenovo preload.
    2.Select "Yes" to repartition the drives or "No" to keep existing partitions. For a clean install, the drives should be repartitioned.
    3.Select "Fully Clean the drive".
    4.Click Reset to begin the process.
    5.The reset/recovery process takes approximately 90 minutes.
    6.Once the reset/recovery is complete, the system will reboot into Microsoft Windows 8.

    Below are the instructions if the hard drive is blank.
    1.Select "Yes" to repartition the HDD or "No" to keep the existing partitions.
    2.Click either choice, but these instructions follow the repartition scenario.
    3.Select "Fully Clean the drive" as this will take several minutes to complete.
    4.Click Reset to begin the process.
    5.The reset/recovery process takes approximately 90 minutes.
    6.Once the reset/recovery is complete, the system will reboot into Microsoft Windows 8.

    From the manual for Lenovo G480.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced because of a failure, no
    product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
    Recovery Disc Set for the computer. Order the Recovery Disc Set and the drive at
    the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
    software when they arrive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    This is a tutorial by Lenovo using the Windows 8 USB Drive Recovery app.

    Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo Think system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload


    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    NOTE: From this point forward in the recovery process, the choices for actual operating system recovery depend on the existing state of the computer hard drive.

    Below are the instructions if there is an existing Microsoft Windows 8 install on the hard drive.
    1.Select the target operating system of Microsoft Windows 8 to reload over existing Lenovo preload.
    2.Select "Yes" to repartition the drives or "No" to keep existing partitions. For a clean install, the drives should be repartitioned.
    3.Select "Fully Clean the drive".
    4.Click Reset to begin the process.
    5.The reset/recovery process takes approximately 90 minutes.
    6.Once the reset/recovery is complete, the system will reboot into Microsoft Windows 8.

    Below are the instructions if the hard drive is blank.
    1.Select "Yes" to repartition the HDD or "No" to keep the existing partitions.
    2.Click either choice, but these instructions follow the repartition scenario.
    3.Select "Fully Clean the drive" as this will take several minutes to complete.
    4.Click Reset to begin the process.
    5.The reset/recovery process takes approximately 90 minutes.
    6.Once the reset/recovery is complete, the system will reboot into Microsoft Windows 8.

    From the manual for Lenovo G480.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenovo
    When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced because of a failure, no
    product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
    Recovery Disc Set for the computer. Order the Recovery Disc Set and the drive at
    the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
    software when they arrive.
    Thank you for your response theog. Unfortunately I am unable to boot into the OS to give any of these troubleshooting tips a shot. I messed up by renaming the drive to a different letter and from my research it seems like I'm stuck in this loop b/c of the Hybrid Boot Windows 8 has developed. I really wish Microsoft would've preserved the advanced boot options so to avoid situations like the one I am currently involved in.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Do you have an installation dvd - or some other boot media with repair tools ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Do you have an installation dvd - or some other boot media with repair tools ?
    No unfortunately. I didn't know I would get stuck in this horrible loop so I didn't make the backup disk the priority, I was going to do that after I checked that the recovery software was going to work correctly.

    I cannot even do a shift-F8, that key sequence just keeps bringing up the lenovo splash screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You will have to make one on some other machine.

    1. what o/s are you using now ?

    2. Is it Pro or regular that you have on the lenovo - and what bit version is it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    !!!!!
    Last edited by wetibbe; 11 Feb 2013 at 17:11.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    You will have to make one on some other machine.

    1. what o/s are you using now ?

    2. Is it Pro or regular that you have on the lenovo - and what bit version is it?
    My only other machine is a mac

    It is regular 64-bit on the Lenovo

    I've found the Enterprise version of Windows 8 that will allow me to download an ISO image that I am going to attempt but I am unsure how to burn ISO image onto DVD with my Mac. Still browsing the inter webs.

    While speaking with Lenovo, their only solution to this problem was to charge me for recovery disks that they'd have to mail me. I said no thank you, I am still within my return period and I would much rather return the machine than purchase disks that should have come with the machine to begin with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    !!!!!
    Last edited by Badassnut; 11 Feb 2013 at 18:16.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10

    Deleted


    You don't have to wish for deleting my comments. As you desire I deleted. Now delete your and lets be friends.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Lenovo Ideacentre recovery loop Hell
Related Threads
Hello, I have encountered a troubling problem with my ASUS Windows 8 Laptop. Every time I turn on the laptop, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair", then goes into complete black, then the Blue Error screen shows up for about 1 second, then restarts and the cycle keep repeating itself. I am unable...
Hi all, Recently was running a backup program and suddenly I get the Windows 8 blue error screen (the one with the mocking ':(' icon) and system dies. I turn on and it seems to booting very slowly then it proceeds to do the pre login screen installation of updates. After half an hour or so and...
Recently updated my Asus K55VD to windows 8. Had alot of problems so far, so when I got another blue screen of death this evening I wasn't really worried. Unfortunatly, this time I was not able to overcome the problem myself, so I am hoping to get some help from this forum. First time I am on such...
hello everybody, it's my 1st post and i'm glad i find this forum. I have windows 8 for couple of month , it's all work fine till today. my computer crash, and it's getting to the automatic repair everytime , it's really suck they windows 8 don't have the F8 thing. anyway i have windows 8...
I have a DV6T with Win 8 (and posted this to HP's forums, with no help so far: Can't boot to any recovery disk; infinite crash loop - HP Support Forum - 2490191). Windows told me that there was some corruption on the hard drive, and to reboot so it could solve the problem before losing any data....
Yesterday my computer was running perfectly fine, I restarted it, then it randomly said it was doing a repair bit it gets stuck at 1%. I tried every repair option possible, none worked. So, I plugged in an old HDD with Windows 7 on it so that I can save some files I needed. After that I formatted...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook