Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Effect of Embedded Product Key on OEM Win8's--New License

  1. #21


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Thank you very much. That is what I am thinking/hoping (or at least an acceptable version of what I am thinking/hoping). I would be using system builder Win8 Pro since I would be starting with Win8 Pro on the OEM. I assume that would work, in your mind, as you describe, right? And, when you say, "you could ... place a brand new hard drive in your machine ...." I think you are confirming that using my original drive having written zeros to it would be fine, right?

    Another version of what would be an acceptable version to me is if I had to use the new license key from system builder Windows 8 Pro. It would be nice if I didn't have to though. As a temporizing option, I could use Technet Win8 Pro instead of system builder Win8 Pro to make sure everything works--buying system builder later.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    i am still learning. my w8 was preinstalled, if i download the iso of w8home and burn to a dvd, will i be able to use this dvd the same as i would an w8 dvd.
    the reason i would like to reinstall w8 and make the partition smaller [using shring in disk management is limited to where the mft files are placed]
    mehabs vbs script will not run on my machine, i take it i need the oem key before i can download the iso files, any other tips on how to get it please, i had seen a small software download to view the key in the past but cannot remember where.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by sunnystaines View Post
    mehabs vbs script will not run on my machine, i take it i need the oem key before i can download the iso files, any other tips on how to get it please, i had seen a small software download to view the key in the past but cannot remember where.
    The script only works if there is a key to be found.

    Here is a list of free & paid key finders---

    14 Free Product Key Finder Programs
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by atomi View Post
    Well my question Is can you use that build in reset function on oem computer's, say if hp has put a laptop full of crapware will that reset function clean my c:/ drive so that laptop has clean crapwarefree windows 8 or would it just put that computer back to the state where it was when it was in store.
    Nope, that refresh image holds crapware as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by sunnystaines View Post
    i am still learning. my w8 was preinstalled, if i download the iso of w8home and burn to a dvd, will i be able to use this dvd the same as i would an w8 dvd.
    the reason i would like to reinstall w8 and make the partition smaller [using shring in disk management is limited to where the mft files are placed]
    mehabs vbs script will not run on my machine, i take it i need the oem key before i can download the iso files, any other tips on how to get it please, i had seen a small software download to view the key in the past but cannot remember where.
    You won't be able to download the needed ISO (or ESD folder) using your OEM key. To get started on what you want to do, you'll have to pay the price of a new key/software. Personally, I would use MS system builder software installed under the personal use license. But you also could use this approach to obtain an upgrade ISO--Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant - Download and Run (or buy the upgrade discs set at a retail outlet). Your embedded product key should allow you to use any of these approaches. You should not have to enter it during installation. For additional discussion, see: How to clean reinstall OEM Windows 8 (non-Pro)?

    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    thankyou
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    You are very welcome. Sorry the news was not better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    All you have to do is look at technet and find the all versions dvd either x86 or x64. Then look at the SHA1/MD5 for the file and then google that, with the file name.


    There are many torrents / filesharing / whatever places you can get the install disc from. Then after you download it just run the SHA1 check on it to make sure it is the right file and they didn't add anything to it.

    As long as you have a valid license it doesn't matter where you get the media from. Also MS will give you media for free, you just would have to pay shipping costs (which is a $5 flat rate).

    There is no reason to buy a new license just to get the media.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by bjd223 View Post

    As long as you have a valid license it doesn't matter where you get the media from. Also MS will give you media for free, you just would have to pay shipping costs (which is a $5 flat rate).
    I might want to get media as you suggest. Can you be more specific about how to do so?
    Last edited by znod; 07 Mar 2013 at 15:59.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bjd223 View Post

    As long as you have a valid license it doesn't matter where you get the media from. Also MS will give you media for free, you just would have to pay shipping costs (which is a $5 flat rate).
    I'd like to get the media as you indicate here. Can you be more specific about how to do so?
    Just call them up and ask for a replacement disc for whatever version you have and they will sell it to you for 5 bucks. They have done this with every version of windows but I have never tried it with Windows 8 only Windows 7 and previous.

    For those that don't want to pay the 5 bucks try this

    You must have a valid Windows 8 key. These ISOs are not pirated and will not work without a valid key, or an embedded key from the OE in your UEFI.

    Anyway look here.

    MSDN Subscriber Downloads

    It depends if you want x64 or x86 ISOs. For instance if you wanted x64 in English you can find the correct ISO in the list and select details. That will show you all kinds of stuff but what you want is the filename, and the SHA1 of that file. The SHA1 is a bit check that verifies the file is original and unchanged.

    For example the info for the x64 version is:

    Filename: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso
    SHA1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4

    This ISO is every version of windows 8 and will work with any key either retail or from the OEM.


    So now what you do is search that filename, and that SHA1. The x86 and x64 original DVDs are located on torrent sites. Once you download the file make sure you verify the SHA1 matches the MS website.

    MS does not care where you get the installer as long as you have a valid key. The reason they don't want you to get it from random places and people is because they could add viruses and other stuff into the image (this is where the SHA1 is important).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Effect of Embedded Product Key on OEM Win8's--New License
Related Threads
When I was reading about installing Windows in a Hyper-V VM on Windows 8.x, I thought I had read that Windows is licensed per host, not per VM, so you can use the same product key for Windows 8.x in the VM as on the host. But now that I've installed Windows 8 in a Hyper-V VM on Windows 8.1, it's...
Read more at source: Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles? | ZDNet
So, I have purchased some computers from Dell and they have Windows 8.0 Professional from the OEM. So, it was very easy for me to use my MSDN media, reinstall Windows 8.0, and it simply detected and used my Windows 8 embedded BIOS key. From there, I would make any adjustments needed, run...
I bought windows 8 a few months ago only because the deal was too sweet, but never installed it until recently, and that was only because I got the free Windows Media Center license that would expire on Jan 31. So I upgrade installed my Win7 install and everything went ok, but somehow, a few weeks...
Here is a link concerning the new OEM System Builder license. (Edit: Perhaps I should have emphasized originally that I am talking about the OEM System Builder License even though that is what I linked to). Below is a snip of, to me, its key provision, although there are other important provisions...
Hi Friends, I've this below question on the windows license and couldn't find any convincing answer in the internet. so posting here. Due to some issue, If I have to reinstall the Windows 8 on my laptop, will there be any issue with using the same product key or license? To describe...
As a student, I have a free key for Windows 8 Pro 64 via my school's Dreamspark Premium account, and have just purchased an mSATA for my laptop. Id like to going from my current setup of: HDD = boot drive & data drive, with Windows 7 Pro 64 To: mSATA = boot drive, with clean...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook