Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Documenting my new PC (re)build... From Q6600 to i7-3770k

  1. #271

    A few more pics of the final "cleaning up" of the cables..


    A few more from tonight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Art's Build final pics after tweaks (11).jpg   Art's Build final pics after tweaks (1).jpg   Art's Build final pics after tweaks (13).jpg   Art's Build final pics after tweaks (14).jpg  

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #272


    I didn't see any WiFi cards, you don't use one?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #273


    Why would somebody use Wi-Fi on a desktop. Unless you can't physically get to the router, you should always hardwire in a desktop. I get 85MB/sec on wire, and around 2-6MB/sec on wireless.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #274


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Why would somebody use Wi-Fi on a desktop. Unless you can't physically get to the router, you should always hardwire in a desktop. I get 85MB/sec on wire, and around 2-6MB/sec on wireless.
    My Dad, who hates to make a hole in the wall just to link the Family Computer to the Router.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #275


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Why would somebody use Wi-Fi on a desktop. Unless you can't physically get to the router, you should always hardwire in a desktop. I get 85MB/sec on wire, and around 2-6MB/sec on wireless.
    My Dad, who hates to make a hole in the wall just to link the Family Computer to the Router.
    As a builder I dislike seeing holes in any walls. Can it be routed from below via basement or crawl space?

    BTW, what's the best wire on the market today to use? I need to hardwire mine. The wire will travel roughly 20 feet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #276


    I didn't use the WIFI, after all. It was an adapter that connected to an internal USB port and I'm using that for my Bluetooth interface to my Nokia phone instead. I'm using the 2 GB Ethernet ports and I've teamed them together to get 2GBps, which is astonishingly fast! I replaced my old 10/100 desktop and rack-mounted switches to 1GBps switches a few weeks ago and since most of my large files transfers are to/from my home server, the throughput is very fast and I'm happy that I have the 2 GBps ports on my PC. I wanted the Intel Ethernet controllers, so that was one of the primary reasons I selected this particular motherboard and I have not been disappointed.

    I buy the Cat6 cables that have the connectors "sealed" onto the cable to prevent end noise at the point where the cable meets the end connector. MicroCenter sells some nice cables... When I was a network engineer, I had fiberoptic interface cards in my PC's and I ran fiber throughout the house, to the main switch in the basement, but copper can do everything that fiber can do (and for a lot less $$) so I only do copper now. I do wireless on the laptops in the house, but I have Ethernet cables run everywhere else, including the detached garage on the alley (my warm weather "man cave").
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #277


    No comments about my pimpy blue LED's? I'm going to put a big carbon fiber wing on the case next!

    Replacing the plexi window with the grill and 200mm fan really helped to lower my temps. The fans are so quiet I can't hear them and at 100% CPU load (4.5GHz), the CPU cores max out at 178 degrees F. Normal temps are 88 degrees F. Mind you, the high CPU temps only occur when running the Intel BurnIn app that runs the LINPACK algorthims against the CPU to stress it. Normally, my CPU runs between 88 Degrees F and 108 degrees F with ambient temps of 68 degrees F.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #278


    I buy the Cat6 cables that have the connectors "sealed" onto the cable to prevent end noise at the point where the cable meets the end connector.
    Thanks, Art. You're very knowledgeable and helpful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #279


    Tony, No problem! People have always helped me when I need it, so I like to return the favor! We can't all know everything so we have to help each other out and provide others with the benefit of our experience. When I hit a brick wall, I reach out and ask for help, so I have to be willing to do my share and help others whenever I can... I don't believe in "karma", I use the "do onto others" rule for my life... I'm going to write a book someday called "The Law of Reciprocity"...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #280


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Why would somebody use Wi-Fi on a desktop. Unless you can't physically get to the router, you should always hardwire in a desktop. I get 85MB/sec on wire, and around 2-6MB/sec on wireless.
    My Dad, who hates to make a hole in the wall just to link the Family Computer to the Router.
    As a builder I dislike seeing holes in any walls. Can it be routed from below via basement or crawl space?

    BTW, what's the best wire on the market today to use? I need to hardwire mine. The wire will travel roughly 20 feet.
    Our house didn't have any basement.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Documenting my new PC (re)build... From Q6600 to i7-3770k
Related Threads
Hello Everybody! Last monday Microsoft announced the arrival of a new Surface line. The Surface 2 and the Surface Pro 2. The launch of these new tablets will be on monday October 21st. Next month I'll be working for 10 years straight at the same company and therefore I will recieve a...
i7 3770K @5.67 GHz. Daily. in Drivers & Hardware
Firstly, I'm sorry for the title sounding like a hot shot scam. So I overclocked my system to 4.5 GHz, disabling only Turbo Boost. I also changed a couple of voltages. Before, I disabled not only Turbo Boost but also power saving features like C3/C6, EIST. At that time, Task manager always...
Is anyone here else using the Intel DZ77GAL-70K and i7-3770k? My hardware will arrive this week and I'm upgrading my Q6600-based PC with this hardware. So far, I've been reading good things about this combo.
Read more at: The build up to Microsoft's Build 2013 | ZDNet
Solved 3770k stability issue in Drivers & Hardware
Over the pass couple of weeks I have tried to make my system stable. It happens at many occasions that the cpu pass the 24 hours occt test but then started crashing about a week later. I have played with the voltages and clock speed but had no luck.I know the problem is not heat because I have a...
Hi all, After 6 years having a socket 775 rig as my main computer I think it's time to invest in a new system. It's still a good machine, but in a near future it wont handle all that I'm gonna need. Here goes my first thoughts. Any advice is welcome ! Average prices from "Mercado Livre...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook