Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install broken Windows?

  1. #1

    Can Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install broken Windows?


    Once you have upgraded Win XP, Vista or 7 to Win 8, you need to be able to start, recover or re-install Win 8 with a recovery disk or original installation disk, preferably a disk that will boot the computer despite the fact that the Windows operating system has been knocked out. (I'm thinking of a situation where even Windows Safe Mode won't provide relief.) If you made a Win 8 Upgrade disk from the ISO provided on purchasing Win 8 online, you will have only that. Can the Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install Windows 8 when it breaks down? If so, how can the Win 8 Upgrade disk be modified to boot the computer in order to start recovery or re-installation of Windows?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Quote Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
    Can the Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install Windows 8 when it breaks down? If so, how can the Win 8 Upgrade disk be modified to boot the computer in order to start recovery or re-installation of Windows?
    Short answer yes...

    It's basically a full retail version of Windows in an upgrade package. You can still do clean installs and everything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Will the Win 8 Upgrade disk made from the ISO start up (boot) a machine with a damaged Windows O/S which refuses to start?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    If it's not a hardware issue, yes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    How to do a Automatic Repair:
    Automatic Repair - Run in Windows 8
    Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
    Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times - Windows 7 Forums


    How to do a Refresh:
    Refresh Windows 8

    How to do a Reset
    Reset Windows 8

    How to clean install:
    Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
    Once you have upgraded Win XP, Vista or 7 to Win 8, you need to be able to start, recover or re-install Win 8 with a recovery disk or original installation disk, preferably a disk that will boot the computer despite the fact that the Windows operating system has been knocked out. (I'm thinking of a situation where even Windows Safe Mode won't provide relief.) If you made a Win 8 Upgrade disk from the ISO provided on purchasing Win 8 online, you will have only that. Can the Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install Windows 8 when it breaks down? If so, how can the Win 8 Upgrade disk be modified to boot the computer in order to start recovery or re-installation of Windows?
    Yes, assuming you are not on an OEM machine; it seems clear you are not. Our tutorials imply so--as pointed out by theog (Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade). But, for more info, go to post 9 of this thread: Will the disk burnt with Win8 ISO install full Windows 8?

    Warning:
    If you are running under UEFI, then a special procedure may be required. I see no evidence you are under UEFI.
    Last edited by znod; 06 Feb 2013 at 19:59.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Thanks for the advice given above. I have a Lenovo Y570 i7 64 bit machine with Win 7 pre-installed. No Win 7 recovery disk provided. The OneKey Recovery system, based on a special drive partition containing the info about my O/S, takes the place of a recovery disk. I want to upgrade Win 7 tot Win 8. And I want to use the Win 8 upgrade disk burnt from the ISO provided by Microsoft if Win 8 breaks down. I suppose I will finally know if that is possible when I need it to be possible.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    information   Information
    We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
    & made the Startup Repair CD.
    startup repair disc-create


    Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

    Lenovo Recovery
    Lenovo Support - Home (US)


    You can Order Lenovo Recovery Disks from here:

    Lenovo Support - Home (US)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
    Thanks for the advice given above. I have a Lenovo Y570 i7 64 bit machine with Win 7 pre-installed. No Win 7 recovery disk provided. The OneKey Recovery system, based on a special drive partition containing the info about my O/S, takes the place of a recovery disk. I want to upgrade Win 7 tot Win 8. And I want to use the Win 8 upgrade disk burnt from the ISO provided by Microsoft if Win 8 breaks down. I suppose I will finally know if that is possible when I need it to be possible.
    Your are very welcome. I though you might be on the come with your question. See my sig though.
    Last edited by znod; 07 Feb 2013 at 05:42.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    I bought Win 8 Pro Upgrade especially for my fairly recently bought Lenovo Ideapad Y570 laptop. Today, I contacted a large Lenovo Service Centre in Shanghai, to get their take on actually installing Win 8. I'm a bit nervous about how the upgrade will affect my work. The service manager said he advises against it. The Ideapad Y Series sold up to now has been designed with Win 7 in mind. Almost all of the special hardware features and the software supporting these features are not compatible with Win 8. The new Lenovo's fitted with Win 8 are adapted to the new version of Windows. The pre-Win 8 models should rather be used in the way they were intended to be used. Otherwise you might experience all kinds of difficulties and lose more than you gain from upgrading to Win 8, depending on your particular use of a computer. The guy did not speak for Lenovo as a company, he was simply speaking from workshop experience and dealings with customers. I'll put this in a separate thread as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Can Win 8 Upgrade disk recover/re-install broken Windows?
Related Threads
Hi, As the title suggest, the 'Frequent' tab is not displaying as it used to in IE10, under Window 8. It is picking up some sites I am visiting but not many, and definitely not the way it did in the past. I did have some slight registry tweaks in place prior to the upgrade - mainly just to...
Hello guys, I want to install either Windows 8.1 or Ubuntu on my laptop (Samsung R519) via USB however I cant because my laptop screen is broken. When I turn on my laptop, my monitor doesn't display until it gets to the Windows 7 login screen. However I have forgotten the admin password meaning...
Ok - need some help. I recently upgraded my home built Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.1. When I did so, I lost my RAID 1 Array that was previously working. The RAID 1 was not my system drive but my data. My system drive is a Samsung 240GB SSD. The Array (2 x 2 TB Seagate Barracude 7200) show up...
Hi all, I got a new Toshiba Satellite L50-B notebook with Windows 8.1 64-bit installed. As I need to go a special place, I passed the notebook to a IT guy and have the whole disk encrypted using DiskCryptor. The guy told me that he cannot boot the OS, even he entered the correct password. And...
HI guys Long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been driven to post by an issue with the Refresh Windows option since the update to 8.1 I cannot find a viable solution. I am sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I cannot find it if so! It appears to me that the Refresh Windows...
Broken activation after upgrade to 8.1 in Windows Updates & Activation
If you are one of the people who got free media center addon last year, don't upgrade. You windows 8 key won't be able to activate after upgrade. I called microsoft activation center and the only suggestion they have is clean install of windows 8 and redo the upgrade because the media center...
Hiya there I have a computer running windows 7 (prem) and I am wanting to do a clean install of a retail purchased DVD of windows 8 Pro upgrade. Now I am aware there are tutorials on here telling you how to do that.. deleting partitions etc and I understand them, however as I understand the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook