Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Win8pro

  1. #11


    wow.. see, I didn't even know how to shut down, I've been just closing the lid on my laptop to shut it down.. so its in settings?.. ha.. I was thinking maybe when I search to find things like PAINT, if I can right click and create a shortcut, then put it on my desktop, I wouldn't need my start bar after a while.. WHY did they get rid of START? to easy for everyone? hey, I even see control panel in there.. wow, found two now.. thanks to you! where is printers?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    My first disaster was trying to figure out how to close the dang computer down! Talk about hiding things! Who woulda thunk the power button would be under Settings! Good grief! I finally found that one, and managed to figure out how to get to the desktop. Finally! By that time, I was "off and running".
    The Windows 8 fans though will preach how you should just hit the "physical power button" on the PC and nobody used the actual shut down button in previous versions of Windows. I agree to disagree and I always shut down using the shutdown button within Windows itself. Maybe it was just you and I having this problem.

    Edit: Oh yeah, and the guy that my dad was helping when they both called me because they couldn't figure out how to shut down Windows 8 either. So, I guess it's just 4 of us who used the old button within Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
    wow.. see, I didn't even know how to shut down, I've been just closing the lid on my laptop to shut it down.. so its in settings?.. ha.. I was thinking maybe when I search to find things like PAINT, if I can right click and create a shortcut, then put it on my desktop, I wouldn't need my start bar after a while.. WHY did they get rid of START? to easy for everyone? hey, I even see control panel in there.. wow, found two now.. thanks to you! where is printers?
    Ummm, lemme see now . . . They're not under Devices, where you'd expect them! I installed a little program called Classic Shell (classicshell.net) that gives a simulation of the old Start menu. It doesn't work exactly like Windows 7 Start, but it's acceptable. There, you can click on Settings (that silly thing again) and then on Printers. All your printers will show up. Alternatively, you can go to the Control Panel and click on Devices and Printers.

    I've found that it is definitely harder to get to where you want to go in Win 8, but I'm hoping some day I'll figure out what I've been doing wrong and things will get easier.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    The Windows 8 fans though will preach how you should just hit the "physical power button" on the PC and nobody used the actual shut down button in previous versions of Windows. I agree to disagree and I always shut down using the shutdown button within Windows itself. Maybe it was just you and I having this problem.

    Edit: Oh yeah, and the guy that my dad was helping when they both called me because they couldn't figure out how to shut down Windows 8 either. So, I guess it's just 4 of us who used the old button within Windows.
    Funny, I hadn't thought of using the physical power button (I know you can set how the power button works) until you mentioned it here. However, since my computer is in its own cubby hole at the bottom of the desk, I'm not gonna stand on me haid to shut 'er down; I already have to do that to start it up. Well actually, when I start the computer in the morning, and I'm barefooted, I just punch the physical power button with me big toe. But at the end of the day, I have my shoes on and that no longer works.

    I'm with you, Parks; Windows 8 is a personal choice. I come here to learn, although after my experiences with Win 8, I can fully understand why some people have to "clear the air".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    The Windows 8 fans though will preach how you should just hit the "physical power button" on the PC and nobody used the actual shut down button in previous versions of Windows. I agree to disagree and I always shut down using the shutdown button within Windows itself. Maybe it was just you and I having this problem.

    Edit: Oh yeah, and the guy that my dad was helping when they both called me because they couldn't figure out how to shut down Windows 8 either. So, I guess it's just 4 of us who used the old button within Windows.
    Nah, ain't gonna do that. I know there's a setting that will allow you to shut down using the power button, but my computer is in its own little cubby hole at the bottom of my desk and I'm not going to stand on my head to shut it down.

    I support senior citizens in my community and one of the things I teach them all is to shut down the (in my opinion) proper way. So, we're not all that alone, and I'm betting most will bring their habits with Win 7 to Win 8 with them.

    Yeppers, Win 8 is a personal choice, and I'm good with that too. Now, if this place didn't exist, I'm not so sure my personal choice wouldn't have gone down the drain long before now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Nah, ain't gonna do that. I know there's a setting that will allow you to shut down using the power button, but my computer is in its own little cubby hole at the bottom of my desk and I'm not going to stand on my head to shut it down.
    So you stand on your head to turn it on then? I don't get people that make this argument. If it's so hard to hit the power button to shut down, how is it not hard to hit it to turn it on? You don't have to change any setting either, it's the default behavior.

    Microsoft WANTS you to use the power button, because that's what happens on every other device on the planet. Phones, tablets, TV's, cars, everything has a power button that both turns it on and off, why should a computer be different?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    So you stand on your head to turn it on then? I don't get people that make this argument. If it's so hard to hit the power button to shut down, how is it not hard to hit it to turn it on? You don't have to change any setting either, it's the default behavior.

    Microsoft WANTS you to use the power button, because that's what happens on every other device on the planet. Phones, tablets, TV's, cars, everything has a power button that both turns it on and off, why should a computer be different?
    Nope, when I stagger into my computer room in the mornings, being careful in my bleary-eyed just-woke-up state, not to spill coffee on my keyboard, I'm usually barefooted. Yep, you guessed it . . . I use my big toe to punch the power button.

    I disagree that Microsoft WANTS me to use the power button [exclusively]; if that were the case, then why on earth is there a provision for the software power button? For me, the physical power button is for a "hard" shutdown when nothing else will work. That's just the way I work.

    What I see is that Microsoft gives us CHOICES; not so many in Win 8, but by and large, the choices are there. And, to me, that's what it's all about. You have the freedom to choose how you want to work and so do I.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    So why can't you hit the power button with your toe to shut it down? Pressing the power button is Microsoft's intended way to shut down the computer going forward. That's why the software shutdown is no longer prominent.

    Even so, there are multiple ways to shut it down with software. WinKey+I -> Shutdown, Ctrl-alt-del-> Shutdown in lower right corner, etc..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Welcome to Windows EightForums, frhrwa.

    Windows 8 is quite different I know, but not impossible to learn. I suggest when all else fails, read the instructions.

    When you were installing, did you happen to see the tutorial on the hot corner? Quite different I know. Move your pointer to the upper right or lower left corner or hit WinKey/C. A Charms bar appears. Please notice what's on that bar. One of them is "Settings". Push that and you'll see a help button there.

    Perhaps more familiar to you -> Push WinKey/D. When there, push F1 as we have in past OSs. What do you see?

    Another alternative; There is a tile on the Start Screen (WinKey) that is titled "Store". Push that. When it opens, again, place the pointer in the top right or lower left corner or WinKey/C. A Charms bar appears. Push Search. Type "Learn Windows 8". Push enter. A slew of learning apps will appear. I suggest to install the free one titled "Learn Windows 8".

    I overlooked what we call spamming here on this forum in your OP. I sense you are quite frustrated and possibly angry. I understand. 8 is quite different from past OSs. A little more of a learning curve. I suggest that after you learn it somewhat to come back and share what you think.

    I hope that helps. Good luck to you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    So you stand on your head to turn it on then? I don't get people that make this argument. If it's so hard to hit the power button to shut down, how is it not hard to hit it to turn it on? You don't have to change any setting either, it's the default behavior.

    Microsoft WANTS you to use the power button, because that's what happens on every other device on the planet. Phones, tablets, TV's, cars, everything has a power button that both turns it on and off, why should a computer be different?
    And there you go.

    My PC is on the floor on the side of my desk, I walk over and bend down and push the button to turn it on. I prefer to not have to repeat the procedure to shut it off. If there was a physical power button on my keyboard (like a MAC), I would use that to turn it on and turn it off, but since there is not, I use the shut off option within Windows.

    If Microsoft was really hell bent on now using the Shut down button within Windows, they would have eliminated it like they did the start menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Even so, there are multiple ways to shut it down with software. WinKey+I -> Shutdown, Ctrl-alt-del-> Shutdown in lower right corner, etc..

    That's all true. You just gotta hunt around and find it. Unlike many other versions of Windows in the past, this one has proven more difficult for more people than any prior version I can remember, ever.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Win8pro
Related Threads
Extremely frustrated with what has been happening with my system lately. I had BSODs happen occasionally but now they are happening like 3-6 times per day, sometimes back-to-back. The list of error messages I've recorded for the ones that happened while sitting at my desk are: ...
Hello, I ve downloaded a legal iso from MAPS, i ve slisptremed all latest updates into it with Windows download integrator (it uses dism afaik) , then the problems comes in - i cannot use USB as my install.wim is 4,8 GB. I ve burned a Dual layer DVD with win8 stock recorder and the PC doesnt see...
I installed Win8Pro and was given a free complimentary upgrade to Media Center which I added through the "Add Features" function with the serial I was emailed from microsoft. So I had to reinstall Win8Pro from disk because my backup became corrupt and tried to add the feature as I did before and it...
Win8Pro Network Speed in Network & Sharing
I didn't think it would that much faster, but so far I'm impressed. Speedtest.net from different servers that were typically slower on Win7, Win8 was way faster, but I'll have to wait and see if it's consistent.
Hello guys, I'm running Windows 7 HP OEM and plan to upgrade to Win7Pro, mainly due to domain connect possibility. Is it formally and technically possible to do a trick: First, upgrade from Win7HP OEM to Win8Pro OEM (using the offer for 39,99 USD:...
Win8Pro vs Win8EnterpriseN in General Support
So, back when these two leaked alongside each other, I opted for the EnterpriseN version because honestly I couldn't be bothered jumping through the hoops with a serial number. But now I'm wondering what the main differences between them are (I know on EnterpriseN you can't change the display stuff...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook