Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


cost of Win 8 upgrade

  1. #1


    Posts : 33
    Windows 8 PRO

    cost of Win 8 upgrade


    Just looked on the MS site. The cost of an upgrade has now increased to:-

    Windows 8 now costs £99.99

    Windows 8 Pro now costs £189.99

    Glad I bought mine earlier.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    I paid $69.95 Australian for mine in a store. But underneath the $69.95 price sticker, I found THIS. I had a fair
    idea that we'd be paying through our noses for it here, and it seems that I wasn't wrong.

    So I'm very pleased that I took advantage of the lower price. Paying $400 for it is out of the question at present.

    Wenda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3706a.JPG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 7
    8x64 | 10x64


    Oh my. I paid $15 for an online M$ promo that ended...yesterday I believe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 511
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    I paid $39.99 for the download. That was just the beginning. I had to replace my USB 3 card. ( The one that I had wasn't compatible with Win 8. Had to buy 3 before I got one to work. $60.00) Had to upgrade Quicken $60.00, Nero $30.00, Corel PaintShopPro $50.00 and CDs & DVDs for backups. If you count labor @ $60.00 an hour, I have been working on it since Dec. 12th 2012. So about $250.00 in parts.

    HaHa Clint
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 7
    8x64 | 10x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I paid $39.99 for the download. That was just the beginning. I had to... If you count labor @ $60.00 an hour, I have been working on it since Dec. 12th 2012. So about $250.00 in parts.
    Well if we're talking about time spent, I spent 5-days reinstalling Win7x64 (a dozen or so times) after upgrading my mobo & CPU from an X58 board / i7 950 to a Z77 / i7 3770K. Somehow the file system kept getting corrupted on the system SSD. Then a 1 TB data drive got hit with corruption. Never thought my time was worth $60/hr, but at $250/hr...

    Why do we get hooked on these wee challenges?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by tseax View Post
    Oh my. I paid $15 for an online M$ promo that ended...yesterday I believe.
    If this the special update for computers purchased after June, the pro ends Feb 28
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I had to replace my USB 3 card. ( The one that I had wasn't compatible with Win 8. Had to buy 3 before I got one to work. $60.00) Had to upgrade Quicken $60.00, Nero $30.00, Corel PaintShopPro $50.00 and CDs & DVDs for backups.
    I find that very hard to believe. USB 3 is very new, and any USB3 card should follow the USB3 interface standards and work without any special drivers in Windows 8. Even if your card does require special drivers, I would be astounded that any card that new would not support 8. What was the card's manufacturer and model? Or was this during the beta?

    I'm still using a copy of Quicken 2005 here with Windows 8, so I would be surprised if Quicken required any kind of upgrade as well. Nero... well, Nero is a pain in the ass on good days, so that doesn't surprise me.

    What version of PSP did you have?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 7
    8x64 | 10x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I had to replace my USB 3 card. ( The one that I had wasn't compatible with Win 8. Had to buy 3 before I got one to work. $60.00) Had to upgrade Quicken $60.00, Nero $30.00, Corel PaintShopPro $50.00 and CDs & DVDs for backups.
    I find that very hard to believe. USB 3 is very new, and any USB3 card should follow the USB3 interface standards and work without any special drivers in Windows 8.
    I've had nothing but problems with USB 3.0 every time I upgrade a motherboard. My latest upgrade no different. With a Thermaltake BlacX 5G and a 1 or 2 TB drive therein, the drive would drop out of system after a few minutes. Drives 512 GB and below, no problem. I switched motherboards to one with 2 eSATA back panel ports instead. The techs tell me there is NO USB 3.0 STANDARD, and that's why the problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 7
    8x64 | 10x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tseax View Post
    Oh my. I paid $15 for an online M$ promo that ended...yesterday I believe.
    If this the special update for computers purchased after June, the pro ends Feb 28
    Thanks Nuccii! I have someone in mind for that ;o)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    They let it run a bit longer. It was still offering to sell it to me for £25 at 11 am on 1/2/2013.

    Not now, though. Perhaps they let it run till noon.

    There are still plenty of the boxed £50 upgrades on ebay and elsewhere online. They couldn't shift them in the promo period - so they are still there.

    No idea why anybody would even contemplate paying a couple of hundred for this thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
cost of Win 8 upgrade
Related Threads
Read more at: Microsoft to cut Windows RT cost for vendors, says report | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Microsoft punts reduced-cost Windows 8 devices for schoolkids | ZDNet
Well, with the apple-Samsung trial over and done with, to me, it kind of sends a pretty resonating signal to phone makers using android: apple maybe breathing and shaking you down soon. I've read that the cost of patent royalties that would need to be paid to apple in order to properly license them...
I'm wondering because from my understanding, System builder version is usually 25% cheaper than the upgrade version; so according to my math the Win 8 system builder should be $30. I have a pretty hard time believing this.
Read more at: Maximum PC | Low Cost PC Makers Freaking Out as Windows 8 Nears Release
Hi guys!, I know its a bit early yet and I'll have to wait quite a while but, I wanted to know what would the average cost of a Windows 8 Laptop be? Or just the cost of upgrading from Windows 7 to 8. Anyone will do, Because it gives me time to save up :D. Regards, Cheater
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook