Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Show of hands, who hasn't and isn't buying the $40 upgrade

View Poll Results: Did you buy the $40 upgrade, or do you plan to?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for sure!

    35 64.81%
  • Nope, Windows 8 isn't for me

    19 35.19%
  1. #51


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Yes I bought it. Could not pass on the cheap price. But I run it in a virtual machine as a study item. I have no plans to make it my main system. I also run a few other (Linux ) sytems in a virtual machine that will probably not become my main system - although Zorin is tempting me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Yes I bought it. Could not pass on the cheap price. But I run it in a virtual machine as a study item. I have no plans to make it my main system. I also run a few other (Linux ) sytems in a virtual machine that will probably not become my main system - although Zorin is tempting me.
    See, this is what I mean, a power user would find it almost impossible to pass up at this price, even just for curiosity value and seeing the improvements and upgrades as it evolves. This is what power users do, tinker with programmes and OS's and if you can get one at a bargain price all the better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 1,339
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit


    Computers are a hobby for me and I enjoy getting to learn different OSs. Although I skipped upgrading to Vista from XP and probably would have skipped 8 as well, but $40 upgrade price was too good to pass up. I have enjoyed getting to know 8, so it was worth the money to me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Computers are a hobby for me and I enjoy getting to learn different OSs. Although I skipped upgrading to Vista from XP and probably would have skipped 8 as well, but $40 upgrade price was too good to pass up. I have enjoyed getting to know 8, so it was worth the money to me.
    Actually just a few of the free games and apps in the store are worth the $40 asking price
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    What happens if they just keep upgrading Windows 8 and if you need Windows 9 they charge $200, you lose. Actually if I was Microsoft that's what I would do anyway.
    In that case, I'll just run XP & W7 VMs in a Linux Distro.

    There are plenty of VM managers that run on Linux distros (including VMware).

    I don't need to run Windows, I choose to run Windows 7 for most of the computer activities I perform (~95%).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    West Auckland
    Posts : 107
    Windows 8 Pro Pack x64


    OP wonders what happens when you create an Anti-Windows-8 thread on the Eight forum instead of the Seven forum... hilarity ensues.

    If you love computers, and more importantly; Windows, you'd be a chump if you didn't buy the upgrade at 40 because you let your stubbornness get the better of you. If you were smart, you'r buy the upgrade and save it for later.

    I pity those who have now missed out, for you may be smug now but just you wait... You'll probably end up downloading a pirated copy because you'll eventually want to have a decent go the better and improved Eight, it but can't afford the horrendous price tag that now applies to it.

    Shame on you Windows enthusiasts that shun your masters new creation.
    Resistance is pointless when it comes to Microsoft, you should know that by now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnOfE View Post
    OP wonders what happens when you create an Anti-Windows-8 thread on the Eight forum instead of the Seven forum... hilarity ensues.

    If you love computers, and more importantly; Windows, you'd be a chump if you didn't buy the upgrade at 40 because you let your stubbornness get the better of you. If you were smart, you'r buy the upgrade and save it for later.

    I pity those who have now missed out, for you may be smug now but just you wait... You'll probably end up downloading a pirated copy because you'll eventually want to have a decent go the better and improved Eight, it but can't afford the horrendous price tag that now applies to it.

    Shame on you Windows enthusiasts that shun your masters new creation.
    Resistance is pointless when it comes to Microsoft, you should know that by now.
    Well, the 40 is an upgrade and I won't use it until a new computer, so it would not qualify there anyway.

    I don't pirate anything. I work for a commercial software company and have my entire working life. I'd go without before I stole it.

    Resistance is not futile, I skipped Vista..all could easily avoid this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Patrik, I use the $40 upgrade in a VMware virtual system. Works like a charm. I run it from an external USB attached SSD (for portability reasons) and it is as fast as it could be. Have a look here.

    Also have a look at this: Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    WHS, I'm somewhat surprised it would activate like that. Technically, it's not legal.

    I do have MSDN licenses which I can use down the road for my testing purposes.

    Oh shucks, it's after midnight. I guess I officially missed out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    WHS, I'm somewhat surprised it would activate like that. Technically, it's not legal.

    I do have MSDN licenses which I can use down the road for my testing purposes.

    Oh shucks, it's after midnight. I guess I officially missed out.
    Well, I have plenty of systems that qualify for an upgrade. So the legality question may be covered. Too bad you missed the deal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Show of hands, who hasn't and isn't buying the $40 upgrade
Related Threads
Hi, I'm getting hopelessly confused by the fact that I have changed my password online (Microsoft Account) but now when I log in on my PC it says wrong password and won't log me in automatically. I have tried the tutorial here but it throws me off after I fill in the new password. Besides this is...
I am quite familiar with upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 but strangely this time, even though everything has been deleted, I still get "windows upgrade log files" showing in Disk cleanup occasionally after rebooting. It clears easily enough then comes back. It is only a few MB in size but why does...
Last Christmas I bought a laptop with Windows 7. Microsoft gave me a Promo code by email for a reduced price upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.0. I have downloaded the upgrade assistant to try and use the promo code, but it keeps telling me that the versions isn't available in my region. Then I tried the...
Just thought this was interesting. Since XP sometimes the taskbar would get stuck open and not auto hide. The reason for this is the system is trying to display a notification window about something but it's not being displayed where it's visible. The solution is to go into task manager and...
hi guys, have 2 computers with Win7 on in the house. So my question here: Can I buy an upgrade and install this on another pc, or is this not allowed? thanks Jeff
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook