Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Show of hands, who hasn't and isn't buying the $40 upgrade

View Poll Results: Did you buy the $40 upgrade, or do you plan to?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for sure!

    35 64.81%
  • Nope, Windows 8 isn't for me

    19 35.19%
  1. #11


    Oregon
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT


    No way I was going to miss such a good deal on what, from my experience, has been a solid flawless OS. Even picked up an ASUS Vivo Tab RT, which is what I'm using to read this forum.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I thank a few people have not been reading the news. . ."Lenovo" just put out there last monthly and quarterly reports and it looks really good for those who are buying stock in the company.

    As a 80% of the time Mac user (going on 26 years) I really do not care if win 8 makes it or not, albeit I have to say it just does not seem as bad has a great deal of people on this site make it out to be.
    Its nowhere near as bad as a lot of people have made it out to be, even my computer illiterate wife likes it more than Windows 7 with just a few minutes tutorial.

    Anyone not buying this before the price rise, needs to learn about getting a bargain. I bought 4 licences and installed MCE on three computers.

    To the people not buying at this price I urge you to think again. Even if you don't use it now and stick it in a drawer for a while you'll be in front.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Some seem to believe that because others criticise Windows 8, it's because they are unable to use it. That is not the case at all. I for one found Windows 8 easy to install, easy to understand, not necessarily faster than Windows 7, it included some good features, but I still don't like the way that the apps/start menu (whatever you want to call it) has been implemented.

    It's not a case of 'I'm scared of it', 'I don't know how to use it'; it's a case of 'I dislike using it' and find that it is half baked/flawed because it is a mobile phone interface slapped on to a desktop PC environment. The same applies to tablets. Some love it and spiral into euphoria at it's very opening, I don't, nor do many others. The apps/start menu is a novelty interface, not a dedicated PC user's tool, where multiple instances of programs are open at once and need to be accessed easily and quickly.

    I find it incredible that so many cannot, or do not want to, understand these issues raised by so many.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    The way I see it, there are several huge benefits I see with Windows 8 over 7 that makes it worthwhile. I can't list them all off the top of my head as those features I don't always notice, like improved disk health monitoring and repair, cleaner looking boot screens and advanced boot screens, Automatic Maintenance, fast boot speeds on both hard drives and SSDs that make every PC run better than it ever did, just better in general.

    Yes, I have bought an upgrade license. I was planning on deploying it before my main hard drive expired on me. If my hard drive didn't die and make me reconsider my storage setup, I would have had it installed on a new hard drive, maybe a SSD of some kind, with my old main drive being used as extra storage. But I had to install the Enterprise trial on my secondary drive that is space limited, and seeing how it's space limited, I can't/don't want to install all of my programs that I don't need right away. I prefer to install it on a clean drive and start fresh versus cloning it.

    But I have to say, after installing and reinstalling Windows 8 since the Developer Preview and on with every Preview version and using it as my main OS, I am SSSOOOO Windows install fatigued! I just want to enjoy it without having to reinstall it again!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Some seem to believe that because others criticise Windows 8, it's because they are unable to use it. That is not the case at all. I for one found Windows 8 easy to install, easy to understand, not necessarily faster than Windows 7, it included some good features, but I still don't like the way that the apps/start menu (whatever you want to call it) has been implemented.

    It's not a case of 'I'm scared of it', 'I don't know how to use it'; it's a case of 'I dislike using it' and find that it is half baked/flawed because it is a mobile phone interface slapped on to a desktop PC environment. The same applies to tablets. Some love it and spiral into euphoria at it's very opening, I don't, nor do many others. The apps/start menu is a novelty interface, not a dedicated PC user's tool, where multiple instances of programs are open at once and need to be accessed easily and quickly.

    I find it incredible that so many cannot, or do not want to, understand these issues raised by so many.
    It seems strange that you have this stance against Windows 8 and yet bought two licences because its such a good deal.

    if it is such a good deal shouldn't you be telling other people to buy it before they miss out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    [It seems strange that you have this stance against Windows 8 and yet bought two licences because its such a good deal.

    if it is such a good deal shouldn't you be telling other people to buy it before they miss out.
    I don't want my reputation for honest advice to be tarnished. I took a hit, but I don't want others to do the same, and I can now give honest opinions about Windows 8 on a desktop as well as a tablet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Some seem to believe that because others criticise Windows 8, it's because they are unable to use it. That is not the case at all. I for one found Windows 8 easy to install, easy to understand, not necessarily faster than Windows 7, it included some good features, but I still don't like the way that the apps/start menu (whatever you want to call it) has been implemented.

    It's not a case of 'I'm scared of it', 'I don't know how to use it'; it's a case of 'I dislike using it' and find that it is half baked/flawed because it is a mobile phone interface slapped on to a desktop PC environment. The same applies to tablets. Some love it and spiral into euphoria at it's very opening, I don't, nor do many others. The apps/start menu is a novelty interface, not a dedicated PC user's tool, where multiple instances of programs are open at once and need to be accessed easily and quickly.

    I find it incredible that so many cannot, or do not want to, understand these issues raised by so many.
    Probably because those people have Windows 8 and like it probably got it setup in such a way that those "issues" aren't there....

    I don't understand, I have multiple instances of programs running right now, how is the Start Screen an impediment to that? THIS is what don't get and have yet to understand. It's like some people that complain about it being a dual UI/OS crap pile seem to not even try to configure properly and just use it how it's by default set up and get fed up with the apps and the UI, because they're not even trying to look past that and realize that hey, the Start Screen can just be a big freaking start menu! If you work in the Desktop, make the Start Screen reflect that! It's that simple.

    This makes me wonder, I rarely have seen a person that didn't like Windows 8 and they were using post their Start Screen on a related thread in Customizations. Part of the reason why I made that thread was to see if those people would post their Start Screen out of curiosity. Interestingly enough, not many of said people have so it leaves me to assume that said users aren't really configuring any defaults in Windows 8 to match their workflow. And then subsequently complain about limited and constricting apps that can't do what they want to be doing, even though they can just install what they had from xp or 7 into 8 and use those programs. I don't get, it's like a certain demographic just went full on not being able to PC or something....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    [It seems strange that you have this stance against Windows 8 and yet bought two licences because its such a good deal.

    if it is such a good deal shouldn't you be telling other people to buy it before they miss out.
    I don't want my reputation for honest advice to be tarnished. I took a hit, but I don't want others to do the same, and I can now give honest opinions about Windows 8 on a desktop as well as a tablet.
    You took a hit, that's the funniest thing I've heard you say Ray, you sound like you bought Apple shares at $700 yet in reality you bought two operating systems for $80, not quite a hit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I don't understand, I have multiple instances of programs running right now, how is the Start Screen an impediment to that?
    No, you don't have multiple instances of apps open and visible at the same time, as well as other open programs. You cannot have say four apps open in your right hand screen and a program open on your left hand screen at the same time. You can't subsequently open another program to momentarily show on your right hand screen, and be able to toggle between any and all of those. You can't even do that easily with just one screen, with apps in the background as you quickly toggle between programs. It can't be done.

    All you can do is have one (or two at the most) apps open and nothing else. Once you want to use the desktop, the apps disappear completely, even if you had another screen vacant where those apps could remain visible and active. The entire interface is designed around a mobile phone screen, everything that you do is intended to be done one thing at a time and to occupy the full screen, no matter how big.

    Microsoft has said that Windows 8 apps/start menu will be the interface for all devices, no matter how big or small. They want the user experience to be the same, even if devices are used for totally different purposes. Screw the desktop users, you will use a mobile phone interface, so get used to it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    [QUOTE=BillWindows;186193]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    You took a hit, that's the funniest thing I've heard you say Ray, you sound like you bought Apple shares at $700 yet in reality you bought two operating systems for $80, not quite a hit.
    I dislike Apple with a passion and wouldn't be seen dead with anything they sell. That's my one-eyed view of Apple. But I call a spade a spade, and many know that. Not everyone likes my opinions, but no one has ever said that I don't stand by my convictions or fail to validate what I believe. Prove me wrong and I'll back you to the hilt, feed me BS and I'm your worst enemy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Show of hands, who hasn't and isn't buying the $40 upgrade
Related Threads
Hi, I'm getting hopelessly confused by the fact that I have changed my password online (Microsoft Account) but now when I log in on my PC it says wrong password and won't log me in automatically. I have tried the tutorial here but it throws me off after I fill in the new password. Besides this is...
I am quite familiar with upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 but strangely this time, even though everything has been deleted, I still get "windows upgrade log files" showing in Disk cleanup occasionally after rebooting. It clears easily enough then comes back. It is only a few MB in size but why does...
Last Christmas I bought a laptop with Windows 7. Microsoft gave me a Promo code by email for a reduced price upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.0. I have downloaded the upgrade assistant to try and use the promo code, but it keeps telling me that the versions isn't available in my region. Then I tried the...
Just thought this was interesting. Since XP sometimes the taskbar would get stuck open and not auto hide. The reason for this is the system is trying to display a notification window about something but it's not being displayed where it's visible. The solution is to go into task manager and...
hi guys, have 2 computers with Win7 on in the house. So my question here: Can I buy an upgrade and install this on another pc, or is this not allowed? thanks Jeff
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook