Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Enough Is Enough!

  1. #51


    Rightly or wrongly, when anyone throws their dummy out of the pram like the OP, poor chap, I always have a sneaky suspicion it is the user at fault. I'm not saying this about the OP but just in general. My own upgrade from Win7 to 8 was a nightmare but only because I hadn't understood the role UEFI type bioses now play and why it isn't a good idea to try to upgrade a system that has two bootable hard drives! Silly errors on my part!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by echrada View Post
    Same here, I do not understand all the agony people seems to be going through, it has been painless for me on a pc, laptop, 2 tablets and an htpc.
    It's all due to the fact that we use our computers differently. Most of my agony is simply not liking the way that I now have to do something. It's not that I cannot do it.
    That's basically how it broke down for me, except of course the fact that I was getting a daily hard lock and I couldn't keep a remote desktop session with my office machine open without repeated timeouts. To me those became deal breakers, particularly since I found the Metro end of it to literally be a vestige to me. I'm sure if I'd continued the struggle for a few more months these issues may have been worked out, however it simply came down to what bean counters call a cost/benefit ratio. The ratio was getting too high. The benefit part of the ratio (the denominator) was approaching zero which means a BIG number! (BIG is bad).

    OTOH, once I finish configuring a Win7 box it runs for months and months with no problems at all. Continuing to force myself to try and like Win8 became silly.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Uh huh.

    I suspect you're one of those people that likes to do all that configuration stuff. After you get your Windows 7 box "perfect" you'll get bored, and want to reinstall 8 again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Yep, a perfect system is boring!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by thatmanbrian View Post
    Rightly or wrongly, when anyone throws their dummy out of the pram like the OP, poor chap, I always have a sneaky suspicion it is the user at fault. I'm not saying this about the OP but just in general. My own upgrade from Win7 to 8 was a nightmare but only because I hadn't understood the role UEFI type bioses now play and why it isn't a good idea to try to upgrade a system that has two bootable hard drives! Silly errors on my part!
    I'm not a "poor chap", I'm a software developer with 36+ years of experience with these systems. I've written everything from O/S kernel code to device drivers to process control code to financials to ... (list about 2 dozen more here). I've been configuring these boxes since they were running DOS 1.1.

    I figured that at my level of experience and expertise that if I couldn't make myself like the thing after a year-and-a-half (going through the DEV and Release Preview Process then onto the "gold" release) that it was time to hang the thing up and return to a system I've proven to be completely reliable so I can spend more time doing what I do best, write code. This O/S tinkering and tweaking was costing me big-time in terms of time and aggravation. The last time I ran into this kind of frustration was back in the OS/2 vs. Windows days.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Uh huh.

    I suspect you're one of those people that likes to do all that configuration stuff. After you get your Windows 7 box "perfect" you'll get bored, and want to reinstall 8 again
    There has been some component of that, sure, but this time it cost me way too much time to retool back (I have a damned complex system set up). I'll pull the Ruger out of the drawer next to me and shoot the machine before I'll go through that aggravation any time soon again! (That little .380 will make a NICE hole in this box!) I've got a product to build and fooling around with this thing is stealing time from that!

    -Max ;-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    I wasn't being personal as I tried to make clear! I was being sympathetic to your experience. I too go back a long, long way and still enjoy the challenges. But as you say, someone in your position can't afford that luxury!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by thatmanbrian View Post
    I wasn't being personal as I tried to make clear! I was being sympathetic to your experience. I too go back a long, long way and still enjoy the challenges. But as you say, someone in your position can't afford that luxury!
    I didn't take it personally, I was trying to be "tongue-in-cheek" with the "poor chap" stuff. Sorry!

    It's not that I can't "afford" it ... I'm just tired of the aggravation. I really LIKE Win7 and its presentation. Microsoft got this one right and Win8, as good as it may be, just ain't fitting here. That's all.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Uh huh.

    I suspect you're one of those people that likes to do all that configuration stuff. After you get your Windows 7 box "perfect" you'll get bored, and want to reinstall 8 again
    True.
    Luckily I can divert the reinstalls mostly to VM tests BEFORE I mess or forget some data or tweaks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts : 173
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    Who's excited for the next version!?!?!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Enough Is Enough!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook