Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Enough Is Enough!

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Did you get the memo? xp is dead.
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe we have different needs than you and a grandiose statement as such just makes you look like an idiot.

    #1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode

    #2). When testing software, like a backup app, or misc network utility, I often do so in a VM. An XP VM takes a whole heck of a lot less resources (RAM, CPU, HDD space) to spin up and play around with than (vista, 7 or 8). With just 2-3GB of space and 256MB of RAM, I can run XP and get done what I need to test. I keep an XP image that I can reuse and it's like 2GB, which can be copied from my source a whole lot faster than a 12GB Windows 8 image.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts : 173
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignMercy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    There must be something wrong with me, I've installed it on a Netbook, had to install the Windows 7 drivers, ran like a charm. Installed it on 3 other PC's no problem, installed it on another one, had to put Windows 7 drivers on it, now no problem.

    I've got Windows 8 Pro running perfectly on 4 PC's, would never even think of going back to Windows 7.
    X2! I've got it running on all three of our laptops.
    Now that it's baked for a while (in my calendar) I'm going to go back to it on my main work machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sincity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Would you consider using Windows 8 next time with a touch enabled mouse? I hear it makes the user experience MUCH better, also I use one and it makes the user experience MUCH better.
    Hell no. At this point there is not good use for this shit OS.
    Now now ... let's not take it quite that far, OK? It's not "shit" and I haven't said anything even remotely resembling such. Aside from the fact that I had a couple of annoying technical issues (besides the crashes that kept happening) the system just wasn't for me, that's all. I don't care much for having a tablet O/S bolted onto the back of the desktop. Some do like it and that's fine. Posts like yours lose all credibility ... you're just spamming. What are you, a Linux user or something? Don't come onto this board with 4 posts to your credit and make comments like that, please. You're just asking to be banned (or ignored).

    -Max
    If you're saying Windows 8 is shit. Please tell me more.
    My computer was preinstalled with Windows Vista.
    I went from 4 years of Vista to 4 years of Seven.
    Windows 8's problems feel like a break from the too-damn-easy-no-problems Windows 7.
    It takes me back to what using a PC should feel like.
    A balance of control and usability. Unfortunately, people got spoiled with Windows 7.
    And Metro is great. The implementation was just lacking in the apps department.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    There must be something wrong with me, I've installed it on a Netbook, had to install the Windows 7 drivers, ran like a charm. Installed it on 3 other PC's no problem, installed it on another one, had to put Windows 7 drivers on it, now no problem.

    I've got Windows 8 Pro running perfectly on 4 PC's, would never even think of going back to Windows 7.
    I've installed it on a number of different machines and technically it has worked exactly as it was designed to work. However, that doesn't mean that it worked the way I want it to work. I don't think 8 is bad, but I can honestly say that the design changes and the whole app approach has very little appeal to me as a user.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Did you get the memo? xp is dead.
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe we have different needs than you and a grandiose statement as such just makes you look like an idiot.

    #1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode

    #2). When testing software, like a backup app, or misc network utility, I often do so in a VM. An XP VM takes a whole heck of a lot less resources (RAM, CPU, HDD space) to spin up and play around with than (vista, 7 or 8). With just 2-3GB of space and 256MB of RAM, I can run XP and get done what I need to test. I keep an XP image that I can reuse and it's like 2GB, which can be copied from my source a whole lot faster than a 12GB Windows 8 image.
    There's probably a good reason why xp mode isn't there in Windows 8, times have changed and xp's support life is coming to a close end than it was when Windows 7 came out. Back when 7 came out, xp was the main OS used and it NEEDED xp mode to run older programs. Theoretically by now, elder software that needed xp should had been updated for Windows 7, and theoretically run in Windows 8 without issue. It's pretty absurd that software in this decade still needs an Windows version from a decade ago. I find it's inexcusable considering a set date of end support is nearing.

    But ok, if you need to run xp because customers are still running it, it'd probably just be best to run the actual OS of xp versus a mode. A VM would bode better I'd think than that. xp mode was more or less designed to run xp era programs in a new OS to push people onto 7 than stick with xp because of that excuse.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    #1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode
    Yet, it took you 7 months to discover that there's no XP mode? You can't be needing it THAT much.

    Having said that, 8 Pro (XP Mode only worked on 7 pro, so it's the same) has Client Hyper-V, which is far more powerful, and can run XP if you want to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    #1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode
    Yet, it took you 7 months to discover that there's no XP mode? You can't be needing it THAT much.

    Having said that, 8 Pro (XP Mode only worked on 7 pro, so it's the same) has Client Hyper-V, which is far more powerful, and can run XP if you want to.
    That's kind of true...

    But I have to disagree about Hyper-V. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't get a usable install of xp to function correctly with it. VirtualBox is a better alternative than Hyper-V and free too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    XP works fine in Hyper-V, don't know what issues you were having. XP doesn't support some of the settings you might have chosen, such as Dynamic memory. You can find all the configuration settings for XP here:

    Install Windows XP in Windows 8 Client Hyper-V | TechRepublic
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    #1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode
    Yet, it took you 7 months to discover that there's no XP mode? You can't be needing it THAT much.

    Having said that, 8 Pro (XP Mode only worked on 7 pro, so it's the same) has Client Hyper-V, which is far more powerful, and can run XP if you want to.
    Well there you go, another reason to buy Windows 8. For $39 you can still run Windows XP if you so desire and get used to 8 at the same time, and you go in the draw for MCE if you're lucky and quick enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Areo Glass is the weirdest looking thing to me now. It's like..... comparing Windows xp to Windows 7, it's weird! Why is everything glowing?....

    To me, I notice it's more of a distraction after using Windows 8, without flaw, for a while now. Microsoft has been trying to remove focus on window chrome since the inception of Windows Longhorn/vista and TOTALLY screwed the pooch on that. Every time I see a screenshot of 7 or use it, I ALWAYS, without fail look at the window chrome first over the window content itself.

    Odd.
    There are other options. You are not forced to use Aero.
    If you get distracted that much I suggest using the Basic & Classic Theme(s) available.


    For instance I'm a big user of AeroLite themes on Win8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Enough Is Enough!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook