Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 Broke 7, 30 Day Music Business Test Results.

  1. #21


    Reply to:
    Coke Robot

    Windows Media Player is required for Rhapsody to go, or what is called Rhapsody Premier. This means I don't have to be online and logged into the service to play music but the License is for use with Windows Media Player.

    Windows 8 stripped "all" of this ability. This includes even if you purchased the app in 8 Pro because the program is for Microsoft apps not the stand alone player integration that previously existed with Windows Media Player and Rhapsody to go. You can't download the Rhapsody program in Windows 8. The program allows downloading and playlist generation. Windows Media Player is the core playback software when you are in online or offline mode. Microsoft killed this alliance when their desire to market xbox came into play with Windows 8 is what I have learned.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Windows Media Player and Microsoft managed the licensing rights in Rhapsody and it no longer exists and we have over 36,000 songs downloaded that are worthless in Windows 8. Long live Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I don't recall ever seeing any kind of official statement from Microsoft that they endorsed Rhapsody in any way. What are you talking about?

    Windows Media Player is still there in Windows 8. It still works just fine. I have no clue what you are going on about. It seems like not only did you not test your software, you actually have no clue what software is actually in Windows.

    And it still doesn't explain why you pushed systems to your employees without ever having tested them. You complain about testing and how it's "monkey work" yet, you never bothered yourself?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Face it, 8 is horrible for PC but great for non-productive uses.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I disagree. Simply saying so does not make it so.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwelltek View Post
    Reply to:
    Coke Robot

    Windows Media Player is required for Rhapsody to go, or what is called Rhapsody Premier. This means I don't have to be online and logged into the service to play music but the License is for use with Windows Media Player.

    Windows 8 stripped "all" of this ability. This includes even if you purchased the app in 8 Pro because the program is for Microsoft apps not the stand alone player integration that previously existed with Windows Media Player and Rhapsody to go. You can't download the Rhapsody program in Windows 8. The program allows downloading and playlist generation. Windows Media Player is the core playback software when you are in online or offline mode. Microsoft killed this alliance when their desire to market xbox came into play with Windows 8 is what I have learned.
    What you're saying seems to contradict what's fact.

    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    This is Windows Media Player in Windows 8, just the same like in Windows 7, features and all. That feature isn't "stripped" out of Windows 8 at all, Media Center is however. If the Rhapsody software isn't installing in Windows 8, that's an issue with the software from Rhapsody that needs addressing with compatibility, even then, the software could be installed in compatibility mode. If that's true, I would imagine they would fix that considering they have an app for Windows Phone 7.

    From what I understand so far, this is pretty much a hyperbole that Windows 8 isn't good enough or that Microsoft killed alliances or whatever. It's like freaking out that Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows even though you used chrome or firefox before, and Windows decided to make you use IE. That's the thing about Windows, if you don't like using a program or it's not up to par, you find the appropriate program and set it as default. BAM! Problem solved.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwelltek View Post
    Reply to:
    Coke Robot

    Windows Media Player is required for Rhapsody to go, or what is called Rhapsody Premier. This means I don't have to be online and logged into the service to play music but the License is for use with Windows Media Player.

    Windows 8 stripped "all" of this ability. This includes even if you purchased the app in 8 Pro because the program is for Microsoft apps not the stand alone player integration that previously existed with Windows Media Player and Rhapsody to go. You can't download the Rhapsody program in Windows 8. The program allows downloading and playlist generation. Windows Media Player is the core playback software when you are in online or offline mode. Microsoft killed this alliance when their desire to market xbox came into play with Windows 8 is what I have learned.
    What you're saying seems to contradict what's fact.

    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    This is Windows Media Player in Windows 8, just the same like in Windows 7, features and all. That feature isn't "stripped" out of Windows 8 at all, Media Center is however. If the Rhapsody software isn't installing in Windows 8, that's an issue with the software from Rhapsody that needs addressing with compatibility, even then, the software could be installed in compatibility mode. If that's true, I would imagine they would fix that considering they have an app for Windows Phone 7.

    From what I understand so far, this is pretty much a hyperbole that Windows 8 isn't good enough or that Microsoft killed alliances or whatever. It's like freaking out that Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows even though you used chrome or firefox before, and Windows decided to make you use IE. That's the thing about Windows, if you don't like using a program or it's not up to par, you find the appropriate program and set it as default. BAM! Problem solved.
    See if you can download Rhapsody and play it offline in Windows 8. Another issue, we must have multiple (side by side) windows open to be viewed at the same time. Windows 8 hides them and leaves desktop function limited. They need a Windows 8 for PC and one for Mobile not have both in one interface. They could sync data. Why do we need all of the tile clutter and useless data. It is not good for business. I like a clean spotless desktop and boot. I don't want to be required to sign into Microsoft to use my computer. That is pure repressed corporate control.

    "Top complaint from tech savvy pro's is the company’s decision to run two interfaces – one for tablets and one for desktops – within the one OS. The choice to put two user interfaces within the one OS was a critical misstep that made Windows 8 problematic for any level of computer user. The tech cited learning and remembering where to find specific features, inconsistencies across the two setups, and the high interaction cost of switching between interfaces as the main issues caused by Microsoft’s design choice."
    NOTE:*** With nearly 80 U.S. patents under his name, Nielsen, a former Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer with a PhD in human-computer interaction, knows his stuff. His list of Windows 8 problems continues to the lack of multiple browsing windows in the Modern UI. “The product’s very name has become a misnomer,” he bemoaned. ”‘Windows’ no longer supports multiple windows on the screen.” *** this is our very exact complaint in a long list of design failure.***


    Nielsen noted that the OS requires a high learning curve because of the flat nature of the interface. There are no illusions of raised icons or inset fields that people have intuitively come to understand mean they can click on them or type in them. The flatness made it challenging for some of the testers to know where to go in order to complete basic tasks, such as changing the background color of the start screen.

    This is just 1 of many complaints. Call Rhapsody and they will tell you xbox is the choice for Microsoft and Rhapsody to go (or Rhapsody Premier for offline playback) has been thrown a curve disrupting over 1 million windows users. I have used Rhapsody for many years and am very disappointed in this launch of windows 8. I don't need my PC to be a MOBILE DEVICE, it is a tool for work not play and widgets or gadgets. I have a tablet for play I want my PC back in 7 Professional (it was working fine, why break it???)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwelltek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwelltek View Post
    Reply to:
    Coke Robot

    Windows Media Player is required for Rhapsody to go, or what is called Rhapsody Premier. This means I don't have to be online and logged into the service to play music but the License is for use with Windows Media Player.

    Windows 8 stripped "all" of this ability. This includes even if you purchased the app in 8 Pro because the program is for Microsoft apps not the stand alone player integration that previously existed with Windows Media Player and Rhapsody to go. You can't download the Rhapsody program in Windows 8. The program allows downloading and playlist generation. Windows Media Player is the core playback software when you are in online or offline mode. Microsoft killed this alliance when their desire to market xbox came into play with Windows 8 is what I have learned.
    What you're saying seems to contradict what's fact.

    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    This is Windows Media Player in Windows 8, just the same like in Windows 7, features and all. That feature isn't "stripped" out of Windows 8 at all, Media Center is however. If the Rhapsody software isn't installing in Windows 8, that's an issue with the software from Rhapsody that needs addressing with compatibility, even then, the software could be installed in compatibility mode. If that's true, I would imagine they would fix that considering they have an app for Windows Phone 7.

    From what I understand so far, this is pretty much a hyperbole that Windows 8 isn't good enough or that Microsoft killed alliances or whatever. It's like freaking out that Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows even though you used chrome or firefox before, and Windows decided to make you use IE. That's the thing about Windows, if you don't like using a program or it's not up to par, you find the appropriate program and set it as default. BAM! Problem solved.
    See if you can download Rhapsody and play it offline in Windows 8. Another issue, we must have multiple (side by side) windows open to be viewed at the same time. Windows 8 hides them and leaves desktop function limited. They need a Windows 8 for PC and one for Mobile not have both in one interface. They could sync data. Why do we need all of the tile clutter and useless data. It is not good for business. I like a clean spotless desktop and boot. I don't want to be required to sign into Microsoft to use my computer. That is pure repressed corporate control.

    "Top complaint from tech savvy pro's is the company’s decision to run two interfaces – one for tablets and one for desktops – within the one OS. The choice to put two user interfaces within the one OS was a critical misstep that made Windows 8 problematic for any level of computer user. The tech cited learning and remembering where to find specific features, inconsistencies across the two setups, and the high interaction cost of switching between interfaces as the main issues caused by Microsoft’s design choice."
    NOTE:*** With nearly 80 U.S. patents under his name, Nielsen, a former Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer with a PhD in human-computer interaction, knows his stuff. His list of Windows 8 problems continues to the lack of multiple browsing windows in the Modern UI. “The product’s very name has become a misnomer,” he bemoaned. ”‘Windows’ no longer supports multiple windows on the screen.” *** this is our very exact complaint in a long list of design failure.***


    Nielsen noted that the OS requires a high learning curve because of the flat nature of the interface. There are no illusions of raised icons or inset fields that people have intuitively come to understand mean they can click on them or type in them. The flatness made it challenging for some of the testers to know where to go in order to complete basic tasks, such as changing the background color of the start screen.

    This is just 1 of many complaints. Call Rhapsody and they will tell you xbox is the choice for Microsoft and Rhapsody to go (or Rhapsody Premier for offline playback) has been thrown a curve disrupting over 1 million windows users. I have used Rhapsody for many years and am very disappointed in this launch of windows 8. I don't need my PC to be a MOBILE DEVICE, it is a tool for work not play and widgets or gadgets. I have a tablet for play I want my PC back in 7 Professional (it was working fine, why break it???)
    I'm starting to think the three day workshop over Windows 8 you had didn't cover proper ground...

    By default, yes, the OS defaults certain things to the new apps, but if take a few minutes to install your proper programs on the Desktop and change defaults, there isn't a SINGLE problem to be had. That's why the Start Screen is better than the menu because it offers the flexibility right there. If you work on the Desktop, you make it so. If you do things with the apps, you can have the Start Screen reflect that. Talk to anyone here that has used Windows 8 for a lot longer than the media has even covered it, and has used it daily since September 2011, they will tell you straight up there isn't a SINGLE thing that makes Windows 8 inferior. You don't need to be signing into a Microsoft account, the OOBE screen gives you the option RIGHT THERE at the bottom to make a local account, you just didn't see it. Whatsoever. Some people have been treating it superficially, using it for a few months, not even really trying to see what it can do, and complain about it. The people that like using it are doing something obviously right that others aren't. This is the problem more than anything.

    Also, Microsoft didn't decide to make another phablet operating system off another smartphone OS. Why? It isn't effective and full of compromise and third party add ons.

    Back to your Rhapsody issue, I'm not going to download and install the software as I don't have an account. I might to see if there are legitimate issues, but I feel lazy at the moment. Xbox Music is a service hosted by Microsoft that is an attempt to replace the Zune Software, Windows Media Player is still there. The Desktop is still there. Instead of making a big fuss about this and taking your time with the complaints, that time could had been used to learn the new things in Windows 8. Yes, there is a learning curve, but instead of avoiding it like the plague, it would be better to ask legitimate questions about the workings of Windows 8 and how to make it "act" more like Windows 7, such as pinning File Explorer locations, Desktop apps, uninstalling the unneeded apps, and defaulting some programs to certain media files. Effectively, if you had done that, you would had a big visual start menu that works faster than the menu counterpart.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    This is complete BS. Whose sock puppet are you?

    If you're using only desktop apps, which are the exact same apps you would use on Windows 7, windows can be used side by side. You are under no requirement to use Metro apps, and virtually any app that ran on Windows 7 runs on Windows 8. For all intents and purposes, you can ignore Metro if you don't want to use it, and it works exactly like Windows 7 (particularly if you install a start menu replacement).

    Anyone that complains about metro is doing so because they want to have something to complain about, not because there is any particular problem with running apps exactly as you did in Windows 7.

    I will say it again, if all you're doing is using desktop apps, then there is no functional difference between Windows 7 and 8, other than the loss of Flip3D and the start menu, the latter of which can be solved by a start menu replacement for free or cheap.

    So far, every complaint you've offered is either false (no WMP, unable to put desktop windows side-by-side), or uninformed. Yet you write as if you have personally verified everything, while never apparently testing anything before rolling it out into the field.

    It's true that Windows 8 is not perfect. It's true that Metro is quite controversial and some people just refuse to like it. But it's also true that it's extremely simple to make Windows 8 work just like Windows 7, and anyone that didn't just want to complain could solve their issues in a few minutes.

    Great, you don't like Windows 8. But please stop making shit up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    To the OP. As a business owner I'm sincerely sorry to read of your dilemma. I really am. But, one that I think is of your own making as some here are trying to explain. If I read you correct, I don't understand how you could put 15 computers out in the field that wouldn't or couldn't fulfill your needs without testing to know they could. But, let's not talk any further on the problem, but let's look for a solution.

    Let me try to talk your language if I may. You're in business, correct? I'll assume it's a mixture of music DJing and karaoke, though it really doesn't matter. You're in business. It could be selling peanuts for all that goes. You're in it to make a profit. So is MS via software and/or services.

    I think that with MS in "reimagining" themselves as we read and hear is more than what meets the eye. I believe they are becoming more diverse in their plan of business. We see some of this with their release of 8 with the Modern UI, the Microsoft Store entailing apps, the Surfaces, shifting music to Xbox, and the like. Just like you, they target markets.

    I think we can all expect that MS will focus on getting more consumers to buy more products from them just as Apple, Google, and others in the business are. Some call this a conspiracy in forcing consumers to buy from them. Some think MS to be a monopoly in a position to the force this. I see it as plain old capitalism. We can and still opt to use choices within free enterprise.

    With their new plan as of late we've been seeing less of the "Mr. Nice Guy" Microsoft with giving some of the extra software as in the past. I'm quite sure I've been "spoiled" by this as I think others have been also. I think MS to be tired of companies of what I call "sponging" off their OSs for profit without their cut of the pie. Apple, Google, and others are, so why not MS? It's not that these companies are trying to oust or put others out of business, but rather them seeking their piece of the pie. Product quality control is another reason. Piracy another.

    How many times have we heard someone loading a program, having problems with it, and blaming it on the OS? Bottom line -> if one doesn't comply -> It'll be goodbye.

    The way I see it that if Rhapsody doesn't comply, then it's goodbye, if that be the case. It's not MS's or 8's fault. They're a company seeking profit through a product or service just as you, me, and others are.

    Just my thoughts. I hope all works out for you. I wish you well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 8 Broke 7, 30 Day Music Business Test Results.
Related Threads
55207 Image URL: http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5075/tIvUFR.jpg Updated to Windows 8.1, but it broke my PC. I tried everything, updating all drivers, old and new versions, with Hardware ID and softwares. Also, I tested it with TV and other PC screens, with VGA and HDMI, but it doesn't work....
What are your Linpack burn test results? in Performance & Maintenance
Here's my results: AgentGOD GUI for Intel Linpack Benchmark https://www.xgamingstudio.com/files/IntelBurnTest.zip 47835 ~ 120 GFlops
Security test results in System Security
Antivirus on Windows 8/8.1 compared | ZDNet
Full reports are available here: AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Jan/Feb 2013 24495
Hello all, The reports can be accessed from text links embedded in the paragraph on this page: AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Home User I ended up installing Bitdefender because it was evaluated as the #1 antivirus in the protection and repair categories. Also, I was...
I had a problem where I was running UEFI with secure boot disabled and dual booting with Linux Mint which is UEFI compliant. Mint had installed Grub, Mint's boot manager but I don't like Grub so i installed rEFInd. Unlike Grub rEFInd has support for UEFI and should have worked better as a boot...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook