Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I've come to a realization . . . .

  1. #31


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    At age 75, I take a relaxed view of these things. I know I am not going to change the world - just wanted to make it a little easier for a few.
    I dips me lid to you WHS!

    I have enough problems dealing with the English language. I think you deserve a Victoria Cross for bravery in attempting to convey the connotations and idiosyncracies of computer concepts and usage to persons in a language foreign to your own tongue.

    Well done!

    I do think the retailers have a lot to answer for regarding PC related usage problems. All they are mostly interested in is making a sale, and mis-lead buyers into thinking it's as simple as ABC. On a few occasions I have "dumbed myself down" when talking to such sales personnel, so they'll open up. And it's amazing some of the utter garbage they are handing out.

    Fortunately, IMHO, (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), with modern education, you can't even finish primary school without a basic knowledge of PCs. And for those who complete high school, you couldn't survive that far without a thorough working knowledge.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Thanks for the flowers. One foreign language is easy - try 3 at the same time.

    That happened to me with a government agency in Roumania. During 2 very hot summer weeks (100F and no AC) I was asked on very short notice to educate a bunch of university professors and their staff in computer principles of operation. I had class materials that I had originally prepared for German customers - in German. The class in Roumania I tought in French (French is the primary foreign language there) but always explained the technical terms in English because they would have to read a lot of English materials. The audience was very often asking questions in Roumanian (which I kind of understood - kind of). And those guys were no dummies. You had to be on the ball. I still remember this one brilliant person - Dr. Botez - 23 years old and a Phd in mathematics.

    After these 2 weeks I was ready for a break. We (my wife was with me) went to the shores of the black sea.

    PS: I just Googled it. Could have been this guy: Mihail H. Botez, 54, Envoy and Futurist - NYTimes.com
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Great posts. Personally, I've loved every version of Windows, and DOS as well. I just love learning and tinkering with what's new and figuring out how best to implement it as a productivity tool. I totally relate to the posts describing the struggles with relatives or others that don't know how to use computers - I've run into many a stubborn person who gets angry or upset when I try to change or upgrade something they have asked me to do for them. I've come to realize that many like clicking and seeing the same exact thing on their computers every time they start them - forever. I try and be more sensitive to those who don't have my good fortune when working on their machines, and explain things the best that I can.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Thanks for the flowers. One foreign language is easy - try 3 at the same time.

    That happened to me with a government agency in Roumania.
    OMG! Roumanian! Add a Purple Heart to the VC and wear it proudly on your chest!

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    After these 2 weeks I was ready for a break. We (my wife was with me) went to the shores of the black sea.
    Hell Ready for a break! I'm amazed you didn't have a break down!

    My son's girl friend lives is in Brussels, and she is a foreign language teacher at University level, (5 tongues), and he tells me that even though English is fairly widely understood in Belgium, he still struggles when he spends time there. And she still struggles with the local Aussie idiom when Down Under. I couldn't resist saying to my son: "A woman with 5 tongues! Aaaaahhhh! One is enough already!"

    Cheers M
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    M, I am a rugged specimen. Have seen tougher times than that. What I really hated all the time were all those long flights - too boring. Nowadays at least I can play with my tablet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Nowadays at least I can play with my tablet.
    But is it a tablet, or a tablet? If that doesn't make sense, I'm just being a tad tepid.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Ask the kids to convert the number 30 to binary and then to hexadecimal. Those that come up with 0001 1110 and 1E are the winners.
    Why is that so important to average user for email, games & social sites? Am I really stupid for not knowing that without googling it? Or are you really smarter because you know something that I don't?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Ugh....

    I'm not even old and this is true.

    You meet people (like at best buy/local amazon showroom) that THINK they know things, but when you talk to them it becomes clear as day how so.....uninformed people are.

    I'll rant.

    See, I've come across several people that think they know about technology. They all use a higher end android smartphone. Put a PC in front of them and have them deal with a simple issue, like running a troubleshooter, it all falls apart. They're confused, they don't know what's happening or what to do. So they kill it and restart the PC like if it was a phone.

    It seems that my generation LITERALLY doesn't know crap about technology, granted yes, we know how to use and adapt to new technology quickly but when it comes to understanding it and troubleshooting something simple, it's off to best buy and/or the geek squad. It's absurd.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Ask the kids to convert the number 30 to binary and then to hexadecimal. Those that come up with 0001 1110 and 1E are the winners.
    and if that what you want to teach the average computer user ,then no wonder they said it was hard to follow ,i know windows ,i have built and repaired many a computer and would not know the answer ,so i will flunk ,lol

    I'm59,[stopped paying attention in grade 6]my first computer was bought used in 1996, , 386/1meg ram ,40meg hdd[doubled spaced ,to80] win 3.11 ,and i plugged it in and just sat there waiting for it to do something ,looked really hard and found the power button ,then what ,never had a clue, it was bought for my daughter for Christmas ,so i had to wait till then to use it .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro



    The title of this post was, I've come to a realization.After reading all the comments I, too, have come to a realization and it isthis: In our communication with on another we must take into account twoimportant facts. The first fact is that we are communicating with written textand not face to face conversation. The second fact, and possibly the moreimportant fact is that we are not conversing with our next door neighbor. Wehave the privilege of communication with others in a different land who speak adifferent language. A particular word in our own country can have a different connotation.It is therefore easy to misunderstand the point that the other is trying tomake. So we must therefore go easy when we criticize one for what he/she hassaid. At my age of 81 (or as the kids would say) 81 and a half going on 82, Ihave come to that realization. To all who took part in this conversation, Iwish a most pleasant day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
I've come to a realization . . . .
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook