Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Great 8 Start Menu

  1. #1

    Great 8 Start Menu


    Thanks to Brink.
    Pin this to your Desktop Taskbar "All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

    • It is sweet. Tiles are reduced in size, neatly organized in columns of 11
    • If you don't see the App you want, just click anywhere and scroll right
    • click your app and back to desktop you go


    You can also create a Recent Files tile & desktop shortcut

    • From the desktop, create a new shortcut
    • For the "Browse to" entry, type C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent replacing your name or account where shown
    • Right click the shortcut and Pin to Start Menu, causing a new metro tile to appear


    The TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE ability for our Start Screen in 8 is awesome.
    We can pin our documents, pictures folders & whatever files wherever we want to on the Start Screen.

    Find many more adjustments here Windows 8 - Tutorial Index


    For those who prefer clicking a 'Start Screen' icon in taskbar with mouse instead of pressing windows key
    "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8
    this take you to normal Start Screen, with your regular tiles, not the All apps
    Last edited by pcRat; 23 Jan 2013 at 14:55. Reason: Added normal start screen shortcut

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Very cool. Thanks for posting. Will be checking it out. mbratch, among others, will be appy, er happy, about the recent files thing, me thinks.

    And, Brink (Shawn) way to go.
    Last edited by znod; 22 Jan 2013 at 21:18.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Thanks to Brink.
    Pin this to your Desktop Taskbar "All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

    • It is sweet. Tiles are reduced in size, neatly organized in columns of 11
    • If you don't see the App you want, just click anywhere and scroll right
    • click your app and back to desktop you go
    Checked this one out. Per Shawn on either option:

    "If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use."

    Gr8 desktop start-menu replacement, I think, although am yet to try it. I will try it. And, much better than right clicking on start screen, then clicking all apps, especially because of the size reduction. Looks like, per category, the arrangement is alphabetical on start screen, but that's fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    You can also create a Recent Files tile & desktop shortcut


    • From the desktop, create a new shortcut
    • For the "Browse to" entry, type C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent replacing your name or account where shown
    • Right click the shortcut and Pin to Start Menu, causing a new metro tile to appear
    This one is your creation, right? Also, way to go. I will try it too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    This is not much good what are the haters going to do now, there's got to be more stuff to hate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    You can also create a Recent Files tile & desktop shortcut


    • From the desktop, create a new shortcut
    • For the "Browse to" entry, type C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent replacing your name or account where shown
    • Right click the shortcut and Pin to Start Menu, causing a new metro tile to appear
    This one is your creation, right? Also, way to go. I will try it too.
    I posted it but thought I mentioned I do not remember where I seen it online.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    This is not much good what are the haters going to do now, there's got to be more stuff to hate.
    To be clear, I, for one, do not hate metro. Some seem to though.

    The new options are very nice, but their existence is not overly likely, IMO, to be the driving force for substantially changing the apparent strong general preference for using the desktop versus metro--at least for those currently onboard here. After all, for example, there are plenty of start-menu substitutes available, and I think that the start-screen enhancement is not likely to substantially change the preferences of many in the "desktop camp" because the start menu already is easily managed for adequate efficiency. For example, my metro start screen does everything I could want from it efficiency-wise (see snip). Given what's already available, if this apparently strong preference changes, then I think that the current emphasis on phones and tablets and the elapse of time, allowing an increase in familiarity, if anything, will be the driving forces.

    Note that my desktop tile now is in the left uppermost position--so a return takes me directly to the desktop. Also, note that I can still add more apps. Still the smaller tile size generated under the Brink start-screen enhancement could be useful if I wanted, for example, to show all apps. Its use still wouldn't be a game changer for me though. I'd still access most everything from the desktop. My start screen is setup so that I can exit it quickly, when I happen to end up there, to whatever I am likely to want to do next. And, note that it is very easy to do a little clicking on the start menu to access all apps--especially if one wants to access one that is very seldom used. Of course, I can't classify apps using my start-screen approach--which would be nice if I wanted to display a very large number.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MetroStart2.PNG  
    Last edited by znod; 23 Jan 2013 at 18:17.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    You can also create a Recent Files tile & desktop shortcut


    • From the desktop, create a new shortcut
    • For the "Browse to" entry, type C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent replacing your name or account where shown
    • Right click the shortcut and Pin to Start Menu, causing a new metro tile to appear
    This one is your creation, right? Also, way to go. I will try it too.
    I posted it but thought I mentioned I do not remember where I seen it online.
    Whatever, good post, and thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Thanks to Brink.
    Pin this to your Desktop Taskbar "All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

    • It is sweet. Tiles are reduced in size, neatly organized in columns of 11
    • If you don't see the App you want, just click anywhere and scroll right
    • click your app and back to desktop you go


    You can also create a Recent Files tile & desktop shortcut

    • From the desktop, create a new shortcut
    • For the "Browse to" entry, type C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent replacing your name or account where shown
    • Right click the shortcut and Pin to Start Menu, causing a new metro tile to appear


    • The TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE ability for our Start Screen in 8 is awesome.
    We can pin our documents, pictures folders & whatever files wherever we want to on the Start Screen.

    Find many more adjustments here Windows 8 - Tutorial Index


    For those who prefer clicking a 'Start Screen' icon in taskbar with mouse instead of pressing windows key
    "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8
    this take you to normal Start Screen, with your regular tiles, not the All apps
    I just added the regular start screen shortcut to original post. So now we can have
    "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 & "All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by znod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    This is not much good what are the haters going to do now, there's got to be more stuff to hate.
    To be clear, I, for one, do not hate metro. Some seem to though.

    The new options are very nice, but their existence is not overly likely, IMO, to be the driving force for substantially changing the apparent strong general preference for using the desktop versus metro--at least for those currently onboard here. After all, for example, there are plenty of start-menu substitutes available, and I think that the start-screen enhancement is not likely to substantially change the preferences of many in the "desktop camp" because the start menu already is easily managed for adequate efficiency. For example, my metro start screen does everything I could want from it efficiency-wise (see snip). Given what's already available, if this apparently strong preference changes, then I think that the current emphasis on phones and tablets and the elapse of time, allowing an increase in familiarity, if anything, will be the driving forces.

    Note that my desktop tile now is in the left uppermost position--so a return takes me directly to the desktop. Also, note that I can still add more apps. Still the smaller tile size generated under the Brink start-screen enhancement could be useful if I wanted, for example, to show all apps. Its use still wouldn't be a game changer for me though. I'd still access most everything from the desktop. My start screen is setup so that I can exit it quickly, when I happen to end up there, to whatever I am likely to want to do next. And, note that it is very easy to do a little clicking on the start menu to access all apps--especially if one wants to access one that is very seldom used. Of course, I can't classify apps using my start-screen approach--which would be nice I wanted to display a very large number.
    •note that it is very easy to do a little clicking on the start menu to access all apps--especially if one wants to access one that is very seldom used.
    → I agree 110%. If we remember the program name we type a letter on the start screen. Or type any letter & Backspace real quick to view all apps when we can't recall name. [Instead of right clicking]

    Of course, I can't classify apps using my start-screen approach--which would be nice I wanted to display a very large number
    → Advantage of regular start screen= custom tile organization & larger tiles
    → " All apps screen= alphabetical organization

    • I click a tile and if it opens in Metro its fine. if it opens on Desktop its fine. it doesn't matter except I prefer Netflix on Metro!

    • I have to love 8. It ruined me.
    On XP-7 I used 'RandyRants SmartKeys' to switch left window & alt keys. Allowing me to press & hold Shift+Ctrl+Alt with one finger and press another key (A-Z or 0-9) to open programs. Shift+Ctrl+Alt+W =Wordpad Shift+Ctrl+Alt+X=MS Word I=IE J=Firefox
    33 programs I opened like that. Today I can only remember 24.
    8 is GR8. Not only can I pin programs to metro start screen, I can pin documents to metro start screen as well. Like my medication record that I access every 4 hours.

    • Unless I have a program icon on my taskbar; if my desktops are not visible (covered up or hidden) I don't believe I can open a program faster using a toolbar shortcut or 3rd party start menu than I could using either taskbar icon for 'Start screen shortcut' or 'All apps shortcut' or the windows key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Great 8 Start Menu
Related Threads
3 days before my Windows 8.1 pc wasn't working during log in it showed up with "The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign in." I posted this thread but no one replied then back yesterday I ran it into Safe Mode and used the CMD and put these "sfc/scannow" then the PC booted...
I actually have no beef with the Win 8.1 Start menu, but the colors of the regular desktop environment are killing me. Namely, the weird, off-off white of the menus. The High-Contrast White option under Personalization gives me the right color for the menu backgrounds but everything else about the...
Im referring to this bottom menu; 43692 when I right click my app/programs, nothing pops up below. I also cant rearrange tiles, groups and stuff. Any help. Thanks
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Hi All, I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it. Any ideas? My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/Capture.png Others' Menu:...
Today I found a good solution to the start menu problem in windows 8. Aston menu worked fine and very good and returned the familiar customized XP look and feel I Changed the program Icon and pinned it to task-bar and moved it to the extreme left you can try it for 30...
As I was searching for noteworthy Windows 8 apps on the internet I stumbled across this awesome site that list Windows 8 apps and filters poor apps. The site is Great Windows Apps - A Better Windows Store. Visit their about page to know more Great Windows Apps - About This Site Its good to know...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook