Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Classic Start Menu -- Microsoft is so out of touch

  1. #51


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    This is simply because they aren't treated as two separate environments. They may seem so superficially, but they're really not. It's just like if on Windows 7 in your setup, it'd be like getting annoyed that the start menu doesn't stay open when you click open a program or folder or window. That's neither flaw or feature, that's just the design that's been there forever.
    Therein lies the rub, rather than helping you, the start menu actually gets in your way, always disappearing, even though there's no reason why it couldn't remain visible on multi-screen systems. It's just a full screen start menu, which totally fails to capitalise on the potential for it to be so much more. It now convinces me even more that when this was designed, no one was thinking outside the box.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    This is simply because they aren't treated as two separate environments. They may seem so superficially, but they're really not. It's just like if on Windows 7 in your setup, it'd be like getting annoyed that the start menu doesn't stay open when you click open a program or folder or window. That's neither flaw or feature, that's just the design that's been there forever.
    Therein lies the rub, rather than helping you, the start menu actually gets in your way, always disappearing, even though there's no reason why it couldn't remain visible on multi-screen systems. It's just a full screen start menu, which totally fails to capitalise on the potential for it to be so much more. It now convinces me even more that when this was designed, no one was thinking outside the box.
    Yeah, that could be improved upon for sure. But seeing as how they redesigned the start menu into a Start Screen, and usually the people who run dual monitor setups are hardcore desktop users, the notion was probably that the Start Screen would be used more or less as a visual start menu. I'd like to see that happen, but there does need to be a way to revert back to the Desktop without the Start Screen overlapping on one monitor.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Another article about Microsoft and Windows 8 looks like the media is against Windows 8.

    Do you hate Microsoft? | Marketplace Blog - CNET Reviews
    Wow, it's amazing what passes for a "journalist" these days. Apart from the fact that many of his arguments are completely illogical, many more are outright wrong.

    For instance, he spends a significant amount of time complaining about how you have to pay extra for Windows Media Center, yet he completely ignores the fact that you paid extra for it in previous releases as well. Windows 7 Home Basic or Starter did not contain WMC. You had to buy the more expensive Windows 7 Home Premium to get it. And there was no easy way to simply upgrade from Home Basic to Home Premium. There was an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Starter to Home Premium (for $60+), but not from Windows 7 Home Basic to Home Premium. You could buy a version of Home Premium, but just to get WMC that was awfully expensive.

    He also complains about bugs in Office as being problems with Windows 7. How serious can you take his opinion if he doesn't even know that what he's complaining about is a different piece of software!

    As a journalist, he should also understand the meaning of the English language. He claims that Microsoft "Inexplicably" removed the start menu. The word "Inexplicably" means "without explanation" Microsoft explained why in many places, and the author is aware of these explanations because he references them.

    Finally, he makes the same assumption so many other people that hate Windows 8 make. That there was no reason to make any changes to Windows 7. Yet, in the same breath complains about how little other things have changed, such as WMC.

    HE's the reason he hates Microsoft. HE is the reason he can't understand Windows 8. He's illogical, hypocritical, and confused about what he actually wants. He wants everything to stay the same, no he wants things to change... make up your mind.

    Still, his article illustrates the point that people are angry with Microsoft without even really knowing why.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    But not all of us are unhappy with Windows 8 without knowing why. I've sent a reminder to folks at work about the lower priced upgrade deal that expires this month. Many ask, should I upgrade and will I like it? They are actually getting frustrated as I cannot really answer the question for them. I just tell them to stop by and I can let them play with it for a bit too make up their own minds.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Posts : 308
    64-bit Windows 8


    Actually, if you like starting everything from "one place," you can have that without any Start Menu or replacement for it, AND without going through levels of menus stacked inside other menus. Create a folder and fill it with shortcuts to all the apps you use, then create a toolbar for that folder. One click on the Taskbar will open a vertical list, like the Start Menu --but with no "branches" -- and a second click launches the app. You can add or delete apps there any time. Or, of course, you can make toolbars for folders that are already there (Start Menu folders, Desktop folders, Quick Launch, etc) but those may contain apps that you don't want to include.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Another article about Microsoft and Windows 8 looks like the media is against Windows 8.

    Do you hate Microsoft? | Marketplace Blog - CNET Reviews
    Wow, it's amazing what passes for a "journalist" these days. Apart from the fact that many of his arguments are completely illogical, many more are outright wrong.

    For instance, he spends a significant amount of time complaining about how you have to pay extra for Windows Media Center, yet he completely ignores the fact that you paid extra for it in previous releases as well. Windows 7 Home Basic or Starter did not contain WMC. You had to buy the more expensive Windows 7 Home Premium to get it. And there was no easy way to simply upgrade from Home Basic to Home Premium. There was an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Starter to Home Premium (for $60+), but not from Windows 7 Home Basic to Home Premium. You could buy a version of Home Premium, but just to get WMC that was awfully expensive.

    He also complains about bugs in Office as being problems with Windows 7. How serious can you take his opinion if he doesn't even know that what he's complaining about is a different piece of software!

    As a journalist, he should also understand the meaning of the English language. He claims that Microsoft "Inexplicably" removed the start menu. The word "Inexplicably" means "without explanation" Microsoft explained why in many places, and the author is aware of these explanations because he references them.

    Finally, he makes the same assumption so many other people that hate Windows 8 make. That there was no reason to make any changes to Windows 7. Yet, in the same breath complains about how little other things have changed, such as WMC.

    HE's the reason he hates Microsoft. HE is the reason he can't understand Windows 8. He's illogical, hypocritical, and confused about what he actually wants. He wants everything to stay the same, no he wants things to change... make up your mind.

    Still, his article illustrates the point that people are angry with Microsoft without even really knowing why.
    Every computer I have ever worked on or owned came with a copy of at least windows 7 premium, so your argument about win 8 media center is completely flawed. It is clearly a feature, that was included before, but few used, so they decided to make it a paid feature in this latest release. End of story.

    Bugs in office are tied into the Win 8 experience as they are part of the same stuff coming from the same company. If you go to see a movie that is made by 20th century fox, and you like the story, but cannot stand the actors, then your beef is still with the over all theatre at large, not just a fragment of the company or shall we say in this case the actors. After all, it was the company that hired them, no?

    Microsoft did "Inexplicably" remove the start menu. I have yet to hear a decent reason for it's omission, and I doubt you have one either, unless you consider that drivel they paid you to write last month on these boards. Seriously... Enjoy your MS pay check, and quit posting as an objective critic. Acknowledge the faults in the equation, or cling to your fragile story that says they know what they are doing and they care... It is not true.

    More true.. They want a piece of the mobile pie, and they are willing to screw their install base to get it.. Ah hah.. There is TRUTH..

    You heard it here first folks..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    If I saw a crappy movie, I wouldn't be taking it out on the theater, I'd be taking it out on the movie.

    There have been SEVERAL reasons for turning the start menu into a Start Screen, certain people just don't want to interpret it, analyze it, explore it, test it, evaluate it, and/or use it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There have been SEVERAL reasons for turning the start menu into a Start Screen, certain people just don't want to interpret it, analyze it, explore it, test it, evaluate it, and/or use it.
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and it still sucks harder than a Dyson.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There have been SEVERAL reasons for turning the start menu into a Start Screen, certain people just don't want to interpret it, analyze it, explore it, test it, evaluate it, and/or use it.
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and it still sucks harder than a Dyson.
    Went there, did that, sent multiple post cards and it's still great.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Went there, did that, sent multiple post cards and it's still great.
    You forgot the stamps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Classic Start Menu -- Microsoft is so out of touch
Related Threads
Read more at: Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back | The Verge
I'm struggling to see the purpose of the Metro Start Screen unless the computer has a touch screen. Other than the Apps and the few Live tiles - programs I've installed open on the regular desktop when I click on the tile. Am I doing something wrong, or is that the way it should be?
There is now speculation that the Start Menu will return: Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8? With Sinofsky out, everything is now possible, Microsoft already step back on the fact that Directx 11.1 will not only run on Windows8 , but on 7 too , this is a major step back. ...
Hi everyone I posted this sometime before but there are always a load of new people wanting to try W8. This post is addressed to those "Metro Haters" (which includes me BTW) who use a computer as a COMPUTER rather than a large and heavy smart phone. You CAN have the old start menu back too....
The HP Slate 500 has a keyboard button that on Windows 7 launched the annoying floating keyboard and another which opened the start menu. On Windows 8 it does not do anything, I want to map these buttons so they work again. Does anyone know the command invoked when you hit the Keyboard Toolbar?...
I am trying to get back to the start menu with a touch screen on my convertible tablet. Let's say I'm browsing the internet. If I hit the "windows" key, I can immediately switch to start screen. But what if I don't want to use the (physical) keyboard at all? What's the equivalent from the touch...
Solved Classic Start Menu Option in General Support
For my desktop and notebook computers, I want a classic start menu. I hope this option is included in the final Windows 8 release as I do not use touchscreen monitors.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook