Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What's the point of PAYING for WMC

  1. #31


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I don't particularly like WMC, but as I said, it's the only one I can get to show broadcast TV. I've done a lot of searching on how to set things up with VLC, but everything that I've tried has failed. It doesn't have any auto detect feature and it's complete hit or miss with every variable.
    You should be able to edit the xspf file (to alter the frequencies to suit your location) using the info in the pdf.
    Some of the channels in that playlist might work without editing (ABC?).

    I can't remember how I generated my playlist originally (I've been using it for a couple of years).
    I only recently completed the channel list though.

    It is certainly easier to get WMC to automatically find the DTV channels, than trying to manually set up VLC.

    MPC-HC has a scanner, but you have to enter the start and end frequencies and the bandwidth.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 55
    windows 7 x86,7 x64, 8 x64, xp


    i did add wmc key, only because it's free now.

    I wanted to use a pc as media center last year, basically i got fed up of Lg smart tv limitations, it didn't play half my family videos, it was slow, i needed to start a pc anyway.. and i had a core2duo pc i could use for media center, so i started testing all media center software i could find.

    WMC did behave good (images and videos), but XBMC was over it. Mind you i didn't need any tuner options so that was a non issue for me.

    Things like WMC not reading exif information to autorotate images was a show stopper. Plus XBMC is much more configurable, and there is this big comunnity behind supporting it, while WMC is only microsoft, and as i see it, looks like they don't even care much about it(they probably want me to buy one of their xboxes).

    So what i'm saying it's that, if they were charging money now for WMC, i may have picked it up for .. just a couple of bucks, nothing more. And that only if XMBC didn't exist, with XBMC there's simply no way i would have payed for WMC, as i find it is just an inferior product.

    Last edited by webtax; 15 Jan 2013 at 14:45.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    no one can use iTunes to do what WMC does. iTunes has no remote control support. it cannot run applets. it has no tuner support. it has no recording support. it has no Netflix support.
    You'd use an Apple TV for Netflix, and you'd use its remote to control iTunes for music, video, etc, or you'd use the Remote App on an iOS device to control iTunes. The 1' interface is great for music on my Touch, and it's better than any 10' interface using a standard remote. I talked more about what's possible here in my earlier message in this thread.

    Except for the Media Center DVR and especially its CableCard capabilities
    And that's more of the "except" excuses. For what WMC does, there's few alternatives. People use WMC because of the DVR capabilities. There's few substitutes. Apple TV is fine for what it does. But it still can't do what WMC can do and it becomes a nonfactor for those that want those features. We're not talking about what program or device has the most features. We're talking what program or device fits the need of the user. The OP was saying that WMC was no longer needed but he failed to find an alternative that had the same capabilities. You can't stream all the content that's on TV. Many shows are impossible to get. And they can only be seen through a TV.

    I don't play my media through WMC besides my recordings and live TV. That's not what it's great at (though with codec packs and other workarounds, you can get all your media to play through WMC and have the features you want because WMC is extensible and tweakable). I have different devices for different needs. I have my WD TV Live. I have my Xbox 360. I have my Wii. I have my PCs/notebooks/tablets.

    There is no great all-in-one program or device. For playing my archived movies on the TV, I use my WD TV Live. For playing my recorded shows or watching live TV, I use my 360 systems as extenders to my main PC which has the 4 tuners. For Netflix and the other streamers (like Crackle, Vudu, Hulu), I use the Xbox, the PC, and the tablets.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    no one can use iTunes to do what WMC does. iTunes has no remote control support. it cannot run applets. it has no tuner support. it has no recording support. it has no Netflix support.
    You'd use an Apple TV for Netflix, and you'd use its remote to control iTunes for music, video, etc, or you'd use the Remote App on an iOS device to control iTunes. The 1' interface is great for music on my Touch, and it's better than any 10' interface using a standard remote. I talked more about what's possible here in my earlier message in this thread.

    Except for the Media Center DVR and especially its CableCard capabilities
    And that's more of the "except" excuses. For what WMC does, there's few alternatives. People use WMC because of the DVR capabilities. There's few substitutes.
    Dude, in my previous message and in the part you clipped in the one you're replying to, I said there was NO alternative to Media Center for CableCard and that it is the best thing going for DVR. I'm not making "excuses" for anything, and it's just argumentative of you to put it in those terms. I simply laid out what is necessary and/or possible with various devices, and I also gave some opinion on what works well. Since apparently you didn't go back and read the first message, and you are wont to severely clip the ones you reply to, where I restated much of it, here is what I said in the first one:

    Media Center is the only software on any computer that can take advantage of CableCard and replace the cable company DVR, which for me means cutting an $18/mo fee to $2/mo, saving $192/year while I enjoy 3 tuners vs. 2, 10x the storage, and a quiet system. That's the only thing I find it good for, and it is essential for this. XBMC is better for all other library-based video, with VLC best for files launched from Windows Explorer. iTunes and foobar2000 are the corresponding programs for music. Some people also take advantage of WMC's extender capability for whole-home DVR.

    If I were forced to use Windows 8, I would have to spring for Media Center to continue what I've been doing.


    Apple TV is fine for what it does. But it still can't do what WMC can do and it becomes a nonfactor for those that want those features. We're not talking about what program or device has the most features. We're talking what program or device fits the need of the user.
    That's exactly what I've been talking about. Read the end of my last message, which you clipped in your reply.

    The OP was saying that WMC was no longer needed but he failed to find an alternative that had the same capabilities. You can't stream all the content that's on TV. Many shows are impossible to get. And they can only be seen through a TV.
    Which is why I laid out the one thing Media Center is essential for, namely DVR and especially CableCard. Which is why I mentioned extenders. Which is why I mentioned other devices and other software for other functionality.

    I don't play my media through WMC besides my recordings and live TV. That's not what it's great at (though with codec packs and other workarounds, you can get all your media to play through WMC and have the features you want because WMC is extensible and tweakable). I have different devices for different needs. I have my WD TV Live. I have my Xbox 360. I have my Wii. I have my PCs/notebooks/tablets.

    There is no great all-in-one program or device. For playing my archived movies on the TV, I use my WD TV Live. For playing my recorded shows or watching live TV, I use my 360 systems as extenders to my main PC which has the 4 tuners. For Netflix and the other streamers (like Crackle, Vudu, Hulu), I use the Xbox, the PC, and the tablets.
    Now you're just restating a lot of what I said or giving an example of how it can be put it into practice.

    For anyone contemplating using an Xbox as an extender, if you have one lying around, great. But you will have to tolerate the noise (even the Slim is far too loud and obnoxious in an open environment with multiple components to its noise signature), and if you use a normal remote, you'll have to put up with the worst IR directionality I've ever encountered. (The original MCE receiver OTOH has the best IR directionality I've ever seen.) If you're thinking about buying a new Xbox to use as an extender, wait a while and see if Ceton gets the Echo up to snuff. It ain't there yet, and it's hardly less expensive than an Xbox, and of course it can't play games. On the plus side, it is small and completely silent, and Ceton says they are getting Android to run on it, so it may gain some neat new capabilities.

    To get Media Center and an extender to play MKVs and whatnot, you'll have to install codec packs, which is something I've never done, because many people have said they cause problems and can destabilize Media Center, which I rely on for Recorded TV. That's a big reason I said I prefer XBMC for library-based video and VLC for stuff I double-click in Explorer - no codec packs, plus, they simply work great. For extender-like capability, I would hold out a while longer and see if the Echo will support these things in an acceptable way (i.e. no codec packs), but if not, I would look at some of the other things I mentioned or alluded to, such as a Roku running Plex, a WDTV Live, and as a big XBMC fan, I'd even look into jailbreaking an Apple TV to run XBMC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Kansas
    Posts : 53
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit


    DVR. Dumped cable 4 years ago. XBox as an extender for movies, recorded shows, music, photos...etc. No more $100+/month bill.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    crawfish, who said I was disagreeing with you? restating your argument doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with you. in fact, I meant to be reinforcing what you were saying.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    crawfish, who said I was disagreeing with you? restating your argument doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with you. in fact, I meant to be reinforcing what you were saying.
    We do seem to be saying a lot of the same things; I guess it was the "excuses" bit that threw me off. Anyway, :cheers:
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    yeah, I could've been a bit more clear and stated something like "I agree. let me add..."

    I think the misinterpretation was me quoting you which would cause a person to infer that the "excuses" applied to you. the reason I quoted you was it was your comment that got me thinking about the argument and wanting to expand on it. and actually, "excuses" wasn't even the word I wanted but for lack of a better term at the time, that's what came out. sorry about that!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
What's the point of PAYING for WMC
Related Threads
A funny point :P in General Support
This is taken from "Techbeck" at the Neowin forums (The link Bare Foot Kid posted) http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/03/11/windows-8-already-cooking-beyond-windows-7 It is a legit point, although I'd say it was more Win98SE that was good, and Vista SP1-2 isn't that bad imo.
Hey everyone, I have been having trouble with my network. I recently, (2 days ago), upgraded my cable high speed internet service from 2mbps down and .2 mbps up to 15 mbps down and 2 mbps up. However, even during non peak hours, pretty much all the time, the best download speed I can get is...
Hey all Since Battlefield 4 i've been getting frequent BSODs, i assumed it was just the game being dodgy / my older video card so I proceeded to upgrade to a 280x from my old nv 9000 series. Since then I've only been getting SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTIONS which from what i've researched online is...
I didn't see a security news section here like one over at seven so I'll post this here. Beware of this new scam... Source: 'Ransomware' tricks victims into paying hefty fines - Red Tape
Paying for Metro Apps in Software and Apps
Does anyone know how you can set up an account for paying for Metro Apps when you live in Australia? I tried setting up via paypal but only seems applicable if you live in the US.
Pretty much all I use a computer for is gaming and desktop publishing in creative suite. I tend to have tens of thousands of files that I have to search and store as well. So when I want to buy a new game like Battlefield 4 or a new software package like CS 7 I will buy it through the metro...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook