Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can you take an icon from an existing file?

  1. #11


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Hi Dragon,

    There are loads of website that deal with Icons (Icon Factory, etc). Go to Google/Bing and type in free icons then you will be given a crap load of sites. At present I have about two-thousand icons I have downloaded over the years.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Drop View Post
    Thanks. What I wanted was not the Adobe Acrobat icon, but the PDF File icon. I found it, but I can't attach it here because I can't find any way to convert it to a .png or .jpg or any format that can be attached.
    Get Irfanview--- Download IrfanView

    See picture--

    Click image for larger version

    You can save to many formats.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Try extracting the .ico you want from acrobat executable.

    Then see if you can browse to it.
    No need to: you simply point instead of shell32 to the acrobat/reader executable. It has icons within.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    ...the .exe file that starts the program, also has icons...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Try extracting the .ico you want from acrobat executable.

    Then see if you can browse to it.
    No need to: you simply point instead of shell32 to the acrobat/reader executable. It has icons within.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    ...the .exe file that starts the program, also has icons...
    It contains 1 icon.--(icon resource)

    There are some more in 2 dlls--

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Try extracting the .ico you want from acrobat executable.

    Then see if you can browse to it.
    No need to: you simply point instead of shell32 to the acrobat/reader executable. It has icons within.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    ...the .exe file that starts the program, also has icons...
    It contains 1 icon.--(icon resource)

    There are some more in 2 dlls--

    Click image for larger version
    Yes. Good demo. The acrord32.dll is used for the file types.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)


    You can zip the file and attach the archive.
    I use the MicroAngelo Toolset 6 to manage all my icon stuff.

    Their site: Home of Microangelo: The Grand Daddy of Icon Software

    I've been a customer of theirs since the early windows versions.

    It can explore your system for icons inside of just about everything and you can create your own as well.

    For example, here is an animated rotating earth globe (Earth.zip attached) I made that I use for my 'busy' icon:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails microangelo.png  
    Can you take an icon from an existing file? Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by arachnaut View Post
    You can zip the file and attach the archive.
    I use the MicroAngelo Toolset 6 to manage all my icon stuff.

    Their site: Home of Microangelo: The Grand Daddy of Icon Software

    I've been a customer of theirs since the early windows versions.

    It can explore your system for icons inside of just about everything and you can create your own as well.

    For example, here is an animated rotating earth globe (Earth.zip attached) I made that I use for my 'busy' icon:

    I speeded the rotation up a bit.
    I like playing with things.
    It's attached.
    Can you take an icon from an existing file? Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    So Michelangelo also does cursors then?

    Nice.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    So Microangelo also does cursors then?

    Nice.
    The Earth was an .ani
    It does .cur too.
    Animated .gif

    Microangelo does lots of things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by medab1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    So Microangelo also does cursors then?

    Nice.
    The Earth was an .ani
    It does .cur too.
    Animated .gif

    Microangelo does lots of things.
    Good to know that.

    Speaking of cursors, I made a thread about that a while back. If you're interested, take a look, and you can post some cursors there if you like.

    Custom Cursors

    I might give the trial of Microangelo a go.

    Cheers
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Can you take an icon from an existing file?
Related Threads
i can able to see information in pdf file but PDF reader icon not showing pls helphttp://oi57.tinypic.com/fw50y1.jpg
Solved Change File Explorer Icon in Customization
Hello, long time user of the many awesome tutorials on here. I can't for the life of me (searching on here and google) find out how to change the File Explorer Icon in Win 8/8.1 - I want to be able to use my custom icon so that it matches the rest of my desktop. I've tried many things including the...
My htm/html files saved on the desktop in Windows 8 looked like this: 41412 Now when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 they look like this: 41413
I am trying to figure out how i can change the cover art/icon for my DVD movies (mkv) so they dont all have the same default icon. I would like to change the icon to like a DVD cover for each movie so its easy to look through them and find the movie you want, not to mention it looks so much better....
Hi guys1 I'm about to create a .reg file that will set path in registry to my own icon for specific file extensions. E.g. I want my own icon as a default icon for .ini extension. And not only for one extension but for more of them, in a single .reg file. As always I don't want to mess it up,so I'm...
I've read the info on how to change icon spacing on the DESKTOP here . I know how to use Ctrl and the scroll wheel to make icons larger or smaller in FILE EXPLORER. But that's not what I'm asking about either. I want to change the icon spacing in FILE EXPLORER. (while viewing icons as extra...
Change file icon in General Support
Hi, Im new here, and I bleed easily so be nice. I quite often place files on my win8 desktop while im working on various stuff and have a problem with icons I cant fix, for example: I have a number of PDF files currently on my desktop and my pdf program is foxit. I DONT WANT TO CHANGE THE PROGRAM...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook