Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Windows 8 bashing!

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    If you're that easily distracted, then you should seriously see a doctor and get yourself some Ritalin or something.

    This is one of those "bullshit" excuses people keep trying to make. It's completely bogus.


    To me, these are the bashing posts. I didn't belittle anybody by saying why I didn't like Windows 8 but yet you call my own personal excuse "bullshit". I'm not trying to tell you guys why you are wrong, but yet that is exactly what you do to me. And for the record, I take a daily medication for OCD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    People are always coming up with these absolutely crazy excuses for why they hate Windows 8.
    I'm sorry that you fail to see our excuses as anything other than "absolutely crazy" more or less because they don't coincide with how you feel. That's outside of my ability to control or persuade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The start page is open for one thing, and that's opening a new program.
    So, why are the tiles live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    If you find the live tiles distracting, you can turn them off with a simple right click.
    Sure can, but then I have to switch to a UI that contains nothing. So, I fail to see the value in "having" to start an app like this with a blank screen over just choosing to use a menu that doesn't move me off the desktop and then back. It's my personal preference, not a right or a wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Let's say it like it is... You hate Windows 8 because you don't know how to use it, and that makes you feel embarrassed. That's why most techies hate it, because they are no longer the experts their ego has set them up to be... so they hate it.
    Again, you are bashing me. I'm quite comfortable in my technical skills, I make a decent living as an IT admin and I'm quite able to use Windows 8. I just choose not to. Didn't say anything about hating Windows 8, I just don't prefer it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I'm not bashing you. I find your "excuse" to be ridiculous though. That is, worthy of ridicule.

    You say you have OCD. Do you avoid putting locks on your doors so you don't obsessively lock them? That would be equally ridiculous. But even if you did, that wouldn't be the fault of the door or the lock.

    But your real concern comes out in your next statement about the start page containing "nothing". It contains "nothing" no more than the start menu contains "nothing". Obviously that's not true. Why do so many people feel the need to justify their personal preference with these made up excuses? Just say you don't like it. You don't have to have an excuse. It's the making of excuses that causes the argument, because the excuses don't hold up to reasonable inspection.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    I know how to use it it just fails usability and accessibility principles on every count. It a really crap purple jumble of pointless tiles. The principal of cascading menus is widely used because it works for all the reasons this doesn't.
    There are two people on these forums who are besotted and will defend it to the last, the rest of the world will use a 3rd party start menu replacement or just be rally pissed off every time they have to use the purple jumble.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I'm not bashing you. I find your "excuse" to be ridiculous though. That is, worthy of ridicule.
    No problem, i even said at the start, it's me that's the problem. Perhaps my excuse truly is absurd....but I think the slow uptake and overall negativity towards Windows 8 from many people reassure me that others might also share equally bad reasons for not liking the OS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You say you have OCD. Do you avoid putting locks on your doors so you don't obsessively lock them? That would be equally ridiculous. But even if you did, that wouldn't be the fault of the door or the lock.
    Nope, that's not how my OCD manifests itself. But if i am the type of person who obsessively looks at the temperature in my refrigerator and I know this about myself, I might find a refrigerator that has a digital temperature readout to be less appealing than a model that just has a dial going from cold to coldest. Or if I was forced into having digital temp readouts, I might prefer to have them inside of the fridge behind the closed doors rather than on the outside of the door where I could constantly see them as I walk by.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    But your real concern comes out in your next statement about the start page containing "nothing". It contains "nothing" no more than the start menu contains "nothing".
    Stated another way: I work in the desktop 99.5% of the time. To get to a program, using the Start Screen, on a single monitor display means that my desktop goes away for however long I find myself on the start screen. By flipping away, it's possible I might see a People update, or News update that catches my eye and I might click on it, launch a full screen Metro app and not notice that for the past few minutes my Microsoft Lync instant messenger has been waiting for a response from me. At work this could cause me and my cowokers to be less efficient as they wait for my response. For this reason, i don't really care for the whole "full screen start menu" approach. Your suggestion, was to shut off the tiles and such to prevent distraction. To me, that seems like a Start Screen that ends up being empty. So, instead why not just continue to use a start button sort of system where I can continue to see everything including my taskbar, clock and apps and type what I want in the search box. It would have been nice to have an option with Windows 8 without a third party. Microsoft provides no such option.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Why do so many people feel the need to justify their personal preference with these made up excuses? Just say you don't like it.
    Because if I did that, it would seem to indicate that I might have no experience or knowledge about the system. I choose to not just say, "nope, I don't like it". And instead say, "it's not appealing to me because of #1, #2, and #3". I value the opinions of those who explain their thinking far more than those who just say, "nope, it sucks".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    It's the making of excuses that causes the argument, because the excuses don't hold up to reasonable inspection.
    Well, you might not agree to the reasonableness of my excuse, but it's the reason Microsoft isn't getting $40 from me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Windows 8 is completely unnecessary and annoying for end users.

    Real users talk with their wallets and at less than 2% market share, Microsoft better start listening.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by CeejayMode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    On the flip side, there is also a condescension towards people who are trying to express constructive criticisms of Windows 8. It's not always a matter or love Windows 8, or hate Windows 8, but sometimes, "I like some things about Windows 8, but why is it like this...?" or "why is it not like that...?".
    I agree but a lot of statements pass constructive criticism and go directly to bashing. I admit that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, especially on the internet where tone of voice is absent.

    Even though I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows 8 I do question the removal of the 'Start Menu Orb'. The reason I question this move is because it appears Microsoft is replacing the traditional 'Start Menu' with the 'Metro Start Screen' so why not just leave the 'Start Orb' but have it go to the 'Metro Start Screen'? Especially since the ability to get the the 'Metro Start Screen' is in the same location as the traditional 'Start Orb', it's just hidden and requires hovering over the corner to activate the 'button'.

    I feel Microsoft could have lessened the impact of the 'Metro Start Screen' by leaving the traditional 'Start Orb' but just redirecting it. I think this would have helped users bridge the gap between the traditional 'Start menu' and the new 'Metro Start Screen'. Then in Windows 9, once users become familiar with the 'Metro Start Screen', Microsoft could have toyed around with removing the 'Start Orb' from the taskbar. I just think this would have been a more politically correct move.
    I suppose the removal of the Start Orb was a gap that was made to try and tell people that the traditional way of computing on Windows Operating Systems is out the door, and replaced with the Metro User Interface. I do tend to agree with people who dislike the removal of if as such, but the smarter computing side to it makes sense. I'm surprised they kept the desktop at all, and I'm glad they did.
    Let's not exaggerate here. There was no way they could have removed the desktop this soon. Metro is still in it's baby diapers.
    I'm no APP user but just seem to begin to like some of the apps. But I keep seeing some anomalous behavior here and there and in the end that's why I dislike the whole thing. But with time, software will become more stable I'm sure.

    The removal of the start orb was made to make people forget about the start menu and traditional way it was used since the beginning of Windows. But I like the start screen and even better: with the missing orb I can add any orb I like in the place!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 419
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by bluice32 View Post
    Windows 8 is completely unnecessary and annoying for end users.

    Real users talk with their wallets and at less than 2% market share, Microsoft better start listening.
    Do you represent the entire consumer base of Microsoft?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    I for one Love the new Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and I also use quit a few of the apps keep up the good work MS and every one has an opinion since the time of XP etc so keep up the good work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I for one Love the new Windows 8 Pro with Media Center and I also use quit a few of the apps keep up the good work MS and every one has an opinion since the time of XP etc so keep up the good work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 15
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    I know how to use it it just fails usability and accessibility principles on every count. It a really crap purple jumble of pointless tiles. The principal of cascading menus is widely used because it works for all the reasons this doesn't.
    I agree with your opinion based upon traditional usability principles but I disagree with your statement based upon usability principles that are being built off the advent of mobile technology.

    My first experience with Apple's iPad was a bit haphazard. I was so used to having a 'desktop' with independent and overlapping windows that I didn't quite feel comfortable with full screen applications. Additionally, it felt clumsy having to 'minimize' (for lack of a better term) these full screen apps just to get back to another application. At the time I really wanted the ability to select an unfocused app residing behind a focused app; just like in a traditional Windows environment. As its stands right now I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of using my devices in 'full screen' mode; I don't have nearly as many panic attacks as I did when I first started seriously using Apple's iOS.

    In preparation for how I believe future operating systems are going to function I've been using my applications in 'full screen' mode. In some cases this practice feels clumsy but in other cases it feels normal. I've also been limiting how much I use the 'desktop' as a serious work space. For example, instead of saving temporary files to the 'desktop' like I've been doing for 17 years I created a unique directory that I save those files to. Then when I access this directory (via a pinned taskbar link) I do so in full screen mode. As a result, there have been hours (and even days) where I've hardly even seen my traditional 'desktop'. I'm still getting used to this practice but I honestly can say that earning a living as a creative professional can be achieved by using Windows 7 in this manner. I also found that by using Windows 7 in this manner has increased my productivity on my tablet because the usage patterns are similar.

    As professionals that use our PCs to get 'real' work done we should be excited about this operating system revolution we're seeing right now. It's definitely a different paradigm but I personally believe it will come into it's own much sooner then later.

    However, to be honest with you guys, I didn't always feel this way about Windows 8. I was one of these users that despised the idea of mobile based usability principles seeping into the traditional desktop environment. So, when did my opinion change you ask, well, it changed as soon as I saw how quickly my 5 year old son picked up on the operating system. It was a shock to see my boy using Windows 8 more efficiently then I could at the time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Windows 8 bashing!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook