Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Windows 8 bashing!

  1. #11


    Posts : 15
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    On the flip side, there is also a condescension towards people who are trying to express constructive criticisms of Windows 8. It's not always a matter or love Windows 8, or hate Windows 8, but sometimes, "I like some things about Windows 8, but why is it like this...?" or "why is it not like that...?".
    I agree but a lot of statements pass constructive criticism and go directly to bashing. I admit that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, especially on the internet where tone of voice is absent.

    Even though I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows 8 I do question the removal of the 'Start Menu Orb'. The reason I question this move is because it appears Microsoft is replacing the traditional 'Start Menu' with the 'Metro Start Screen' so why not just leave the 'Start Orb' but have it go to the 'Metro Start Screen'? Especially since the ability to get the the 'Metro Start Screen' is in the same location as the traditional 'Start Orb', it's just hidden and requires hovering over the corner to activate the 'button'.

    I feel Microsoft could have lessened the impact of the 'Metro Start Screen' by leaving the traditional 'Start Orb' but just redirecting it. I think this would have helped users bridge the gap between the traditional 'Start menu' and the new 'Metro Start Screen'. Then in Windows 9, once users become familiar with the 'Metro Start Screen', Microsoft could have toyed around with removing the 'Start Orb' from the taskbar. I just think this would have been a more user friendly move.

    Regardless, despite my confusion on why the 'Start Orb' was removed I still plan on upgrading. While I was playing with the OS I started using the 'Win' key to open the "Metro Start Screen'. It's quick and it absolves me from the hassle of moving my cursor down to the lower left corner to activate the hidden 'Metro Start Screen' button. I think even if Microsoft had left the 'Start Orb' in the taskbar I would still prefer to use the 'Win' key.

    The removal of the 'Start Orb' is confounding but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 419
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post
    What I don't understand is why, if you hate Windows 8 that much, do you find it needed to be on a Windows 8 forum if all you are going to do is trash the OS and trash peoples threads that like the OS.
    I do agree there's some less than rational bashing. It's not pleasant, but it's somewhat the nature of open forums. There's often bashing from all angles.
    It's fine really to voice your dislike of Windows 8, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people are constantly doing it, and then start taking it and hijacking other peoples threads and trashing the "I like Windows 8" threads...that is where it becomes a problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 94
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    You'll never know how good or bad is it until you try it for yourself with clean expectations, not trolled opinions of forums users, same thing happened to Vista, everyone bashed the hell of it, but on real life usage it was a great OS, years ahead of Windows XP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Strathpine, Queensland
    Posts : 179
    Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    On the flip side, there is also a condescension towards people who are trying to express constructive criticisms of Windows 8. It's not always a matter or love Windows 8, or hate Windows 8, but sometimes, "I like some things about Windows 8, but why is it like this...?" or "why is it not like that...?".
    I agree but a lot of statements pass constructive criticism and go directly to bashing. I admit that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, especially on the internet where tone of voice is absent.

    Even though I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows 8 I do question the removal of the 'Start Menu Orb'. The reason I question this move is because it appears Microsoft is replacing the traditional 'Start Menu' with the 'Metro Start Screen' so why not just leave the 'Start Orb' but have it go to the 'Metro Start Screen'? Especially since the ability to get the the 'Metro Start Screen' is in the same location as the traditional 'Start Orb', it's just hidden and requires hovering over the corner to activate the 'button'.

    I feel Microsoft could have lessened the impact of the 'Metro Start Screen' by leaving the traditional 'Start Orb' but just redirecting it. I think this would have helped users bridge the gap between the traditional 'Start menu' and the new 'Metro Start Screen'. Then in Windows 9, once users become familiar with the 'Metro Start Screen', Microsoft could have toyed around with removing the 'Start Orb' from the taskbar. I just think this would have been a more politically correct move.
    I suppose the removal of the Start Orb was a gap that was made to try and tell people that the traditional way of computing on Windows Operating Systems is out the door, and replaced with the Metro User Interface. I do tend to agree with people who dislike the removal of if as such, but the smarter computing side to it makes sense. I'm surprised they kept the desktop at all, and I'm glad they did.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post
    What I don't understand is why, if you hate Windows 8 that much, do you find it needed to be on a Windows 8 forum if all you are going to do is trash the OS and trash peoples threads that like the OS.

    A prime example of this trollish behavior would be SIW2, who I've seen has really nothing good to say about Windows 8 (has probably never even tried it) and has trashed numerous threads with FUD of people who like it. It's quite clear he hates Windows 8 and is pro-Seven, so I'm not sure why he is even here or why he is even part of the EF team.
    Everyone has the right to express their views, that's the beauty of Democracy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Even though I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows 8 I do question the removal of the 'Start Menu Orb'. The reason I question this move is because it appears Microsoft is replacing the traditional 'Start Menu' with the 'Metro Start Screen' so why not just leave the 'Start Orb' but have it go to the 'Metro Start Screen'? Especially since the ability to get the the 'Metro Start Screen' is in the same location as the traditional 'Start Orb', it's just hidden and requires hovering over the corner to activate the 'button'.
    What most people seem to forget is that the taskbar (and thus the "orb" is not visible at all times. When you're in a metro app, there is no taskbar. how would you bring up the start page?

    The point is that the start functionality works the same in both modes. I swear, some people complain loudly about how Desktop and Metro don't interoperate, yet complain loudly about something that does in fact work the same in both.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    Simple answer there is never any need or point to use a Metro app!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post
    What I don't understand is why, if you hate Windows 8 that much, do you find it needed to be on a Windows 8 forum if all you are going to do is trash the OS and trash peoples threads that like the OS.
    I'm on this forum, as I support desktops and servers for a living in the company that I work for. I have a need to know about the OS and how it works. I've learned a ton working with people here, and posting my experiences, frustrations and positive things that I have found.

    Overall, I'm not a fan of Windows 8. At least, I'm not at this point paying the $40 to upgrade my own personal machines. However, I don't feel that I bash on Windows 8 or belittle those who do like it. I try to simply explain my concerns and dislikes in hopes that things will improve or get better. If nothing else, I might also learn a new way of doing something or thinking through it which opens my eyes up to the way that something is put together.

    Just because I don't think that Windows 8 is a run-away hit, doesn't mean that I want to see MS fail. But I sure would be happier with a few changes to Windows 8 without having to resort to third party "hacks".


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The point is that the start functionality works the same in both modes. I swear, some people complain loudly about how Desktop and Metro don't interoperate, yet complain loudly about something that does in fact work the same in both.

    My complaint with the start functionality is that I dislike being taken away from my desktop (where I have notifications for Outlook email, or Microsoft Lync instant messages, etc), and brought into a whole different look/feel environment with "live tiles"...which often distract me from getting back to my desktop where at the present time is where my actual work is taking place. Sure, the problem here is me because I'm the one getting distracted. But I would be far more pleased if there were a mechanism to turn off the new way of doing things because it doesn't fit my easily distractable personality. I've often heard others say I am just "afraid of change, or "not willing to learn anything new". Well, I went from the single pane start in 95/98 to the dual pane in XP, to the new pane in Vista, to the dual pane and superbar method in Windows 7 all just fine. 8 is the first time that I have really ever "wanted" to go back to a classic way of doing something. To me, this doesn't scream "Afraid of change". And while i know there are various 3rd parties giving some of this choice back, none of these 3rd party tools are exactly the same as it would have been or perhaps as stable/secure as built-in functionality would have been.

    Overall, I'm not saying people who like the new Start screen are dumb....I'm just saying that it's not ideal for me. And thoughts and comments from friends, family and coworkers have reinforced my opinion that my dislike for the new method isn't simply a 1 off case of being cranky.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I'm sure that a few think that I'm a prolific basher of Windows 8; however, I purchased two licences because I think it has a future and I want to be fully familiar with how it works, especially as it progresses. That said, I have felt the need to repeat some aspects of what I find poor implementation of the UI, because each time that I mention some ideas on how the UI could/should be improved, the usual suspects immediately go on the offensive and drown out any opportunity to discuss the fundamentals of what I'm trying to describe. It works both ways chaps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    My complaint with the start functionality is that I dislike being taken away from my desktop (where I have notifications for Outlook email, or Microsoft Lync instant messages, etc), and brought into a whole different look/feel environment with "live tiles"...which often distract me from getting back to my desktop where at the present time is where my actual work is taking place.


    If you're that easily distracted, then you should seriously see a doctor and get yourself some Ritalin or something.

    This is one of those "bullshit" excuses people keep trying to make. It's completely bogus. The start page is open for one thing, and that's opening a new program. You click the icon, and it goes away.. Just like the menu does. It should be open for no more than a minute tops while you launch your next app (mine is usually open for less than a second). If you find the live tiles distracting, you can turn them off with a simple right click.

    People are always coming up with these absolutely crazy excuses for why they hate Windows 8. There is *MUCH* more to be "distracted" by on the users normal desktop. Clocks, and icons, and notifications, and flashing taskbar panes, and popup windows and all sorts of things. The start page actually REDUCES distraction, because you're there to do one thing.

    Let's say it like it is... You hate Windows 8 because you don't know how to use it, and that makes you feel embarrassed. That's why most techies hate it, because they are no longer the experts their ego has set them up to be... so they hate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Windows 8 bashing!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook