Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What Windows 8 should have provided

  1. #1


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

    What Windows 8 should have provided


    This is not the best example, but it does illustrate what I've been trying to point out as a major flaw in Windows 8 (the apps user interface) - the Lenovo Horizon 27.

    In PC mode:

    Click image for larger version

    In alternative mode:

    Click image for larger version

    In the Lenovo Horizon alternative mode, almost any number of people can use the device to do different things. But it's the fact that you can use, or display, multiple apps at once which is important. Windows 8 can only display two apps at the same time and basically using the full screen. This is the major flaw in the Windows 8 user interface.

    The start screen is nothing more than a menu laid out in a series of tiles, when it could have been a series of active and modifiable apps to be viewed and used in any way that you wanted (within limitations) on a desktop with large, or multiple, monitors. Instead, it became a tablet/phone interface designed for small(ish) devices, while leaving the large screen users in a virtual limbo.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    I like the one on the bottom. The one on the top is for Kids even Microsoft thinks so (most of there adds are kids using it). As if parents will give there kids $600+ toys.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Well, for starters, that system is designed for a 27" display. It doesn't have to work on 3" phones or 7" tablets, as well as 30" displays. It's also designed for multiple people to use it simultaneously from different directions. It's likely that this would simply fail on anything smaller than desktop sized monitor.

    By the way, you keep making the mistake of confusing Metro with Windows 8. You keep saying things like "Windows 8 doesn't let you.." when in fact Windows 8 *DOES* let you do those things, just not in Metro apps.

    Great, you don't like Metro apps. So why are you so obsessed with them?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Where's the start menu, I can't live without the start menu, how do you close it down. It's too confusing.

    Why do we have to have a funny looking wheel on the start screen.

    That's not my view but that's what a lot of old timers would say, not all old timers mind you, just the ones who can't accept change.

    Also, this is still Windows 8, just with a cover on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Well, for starters, that system is designed for a 27" display. It doesn't have to work on 3" phones or 7" tablets, as well as 30" displays. It's also designed for multiple people to use it simultaneously from different directions. It's likely that this would simply fail on anything smaller than desktop sized monitor.

    By the way, you keep making the mistake of confusing Metro with Windows 8. You keep saying things like "Windows 8 doesn't let you.." when in fact Windows 8 *DOES* let you do those things, just not in Metro apps.

    Great, you don't like Metro apps. So why are you so obsessed with them?
    Is it that you truly don't understand, or simply don't want to understand/acknowledge what is being discussed? Or is it that as your beliefs are being questioned, the reality is sinking in, and it's making you very uncomfortable?

    The same goes for Windows Bill.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Well, for starters, that system is designed for a 27" display. It doesn't have to work on 3" phones or 7" tablets, as well as 30" displays. It's also designed for multiple people to use it simultaneously from different directions. It's likely that this would simply fail on anything smaller than desktop sized monitor.

    By the way, you keep making the mistake of confusing Metro with Windows 8. You keep saying things like "Windows 8 doesn't let you.." when in fact Windows 8 *DOES* let you do those things, just not in Metro apps.

    Great, you don't like Metro apps. So why are you so obsessed with them?
    Is it that you truly don't understand, or simply don't want to understand/acknowledge what is being discussed? Or is it that as your beliefs are being questioned, the reality is sinking in, and it's making you very uncomfortable?

    The same goes for Windows Bill.
    There's only one person here who is uncomfortable, and that's the person who can't accept Windows 8, and is doing his utmost to convince the rest of us that he is the one who is right.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    There's only one person here who is uncomfortable, and that's the person who can't accept Windows 8, and is doing his utmost to convince the rest of us that he is the one who is right.
    I am not the only one who finds the Windows 8 apps screen rather useless; however, I do find astounding the complete antipathy by a few to even discuss the potential that has been lost with the way Microsoft has implemented the apps. It's now supposed to be a perfect implementation because that's what Microsoft has delivered?

    The fact that some are arguing that it has to be that way because it must work with 2" to 30" screens or larger, is astounding. For a start, 27" monitors are available from just about any manufacturer and many people have two or more of these, I have two 23" monitors. So I'm supposed to enjoy a user interface, designed for a 2" screen, on a 23" screen?

    Yes, I am totally uncomfortable with that and is one reason I cannot accept the Windows 8 user interface (aka start menu) as anything but flawed. It's quite a bit of hubris showing on your part, to think that I'm the only one who views the start screen in this way and that the remainder of the world fully agrees with you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Well, for starters, that system is designed for a 27" display. It doesn't have to work on 3" phones or 7" tablets, as well as 30" displays. It's also designed for multiple people to use it simultaneously from different directions. It's likely that this would simply fail on anything smaller than desktop sized monitor.
    Exactly. It's about the right tool for the right job. Why would I expect to have exactly the same interface on a 3" display as a 27" display?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Release a product which you know a significant proportion of your target market find extremely annoying.

    It's interesting.

    I am not convinced it is a terribly good idea.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Is it that you truly don't understand, or simply don't want to understand/acknowledge what is being discussed? Or is it that as your beliefs are being questioned, the reality is sinking in, and it's making you very uncomfortable?
    Wow, way to totally avoid answering the questions. Wriggle noted. I win.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
What Windows 8 should have provided
Related Threads
Hello there! I recently built a new PC (Specs: Sankta Ilfana - Profiel - Tweakers ) should they be of any use to anyone. I am running Windows 8.1, legal install, fully patched. I installed the following theme: Sub Zero Sapphire Windows 8.1.1 Theme by following these steps: How to install and...
Dear friends Could you help me figure out why it is that I have trouble browsing in high speed despite the fact that the wireless adapter receives data at 1 Mbps minimum? I haven't been able to watch videos on Youtube, read the news etc because the browser takes ages to load the full page. I...
All those programs that are present when you first open a Windows 8 desktop like Reader, Photos, etc. You know, the one's you want to replaces real fast with good programs have stopped working. Not that I want to use them or depend on them but it does bug me they all stopped. I don't see a way to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook