Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

7 & 8 Dual boot

  1. #1

    7 & 8 Dual boot


    It's a custom built intel DG33FB mobo▬ E6550 Core Duo CPU, 8GB PC6400 DDR2
    Originally I installed Vista 32-bit OEM full version on it and then I wiped it before
    I installed 7 64-bit OEM full version on it

    For the same motherboard
    Now I'm thinking about buying a SSD to reinstall my legal copy of Vista 32-bit OEM and upgrade to 8
    then partition the harddrive and
    install my legal copy of 7 64-bit OEM

    I like 8 but I need a copy of 7 to help my friends who can't afford to upgrade.

    Will the 32-bit & 64-bit OS' on seperate partitions be a problem?

    Thank you

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Not important. I'm not putting 32-bit main OS on here for nothing. Especially when the mobo is capable of using over 4 GB RAM and I have more RAM installed.I'd rather pay full price for 64-bit full version than save on 32-bit upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    It's a custom built intel DG33FB mobo▬ E6550 Core Duo CPU, 8GB PC6400 DDR2
    Originally I installed Vista 32-bit OEM full version on it and then I wiped it before
    I installed 7 64-bit OEM full version on it

    For the same motherboard
    Now I'm thinking about buying a SSD to reinstall my legal copy of Vista 32-bit OEM and upgrade to 8
    then partition the harddrive and
    install my legal copy of 7 64-bit OEM

    I like 8 but I need a copy of 7 to help my friends who can't afford to upgrade.

    Will the 32-bit & 64-bit OS' on seperate partitions be a problem?

    The SSD is presumably a relatively new invention. Not out too long. Said to be more expensive than the conventional HDD. There is nothing wrong about being on the cutting edge and venturesome. However, I am told that the logic board on a conventional HDD is more prone to failure than the hard drive itself with all of the moving, spinning parts. The SDD doesn't have much of a track record as yet. If you have disposable income I suppose that it is OK to take a fling.

    Thank you
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Hi PC:

    Your several manipulations and maneuvers may have a few clinkers that could foul your plans. I'll toss out some potential concerns.

    * Using a purchased disc on someone else's computer may not be successful. It may be computer specific. Normally it's a one purchase, one computer deal.


    * Previously I was severely warned, on this or some other forum, to forget about a dual partition of two different versions of Windows because the more recent apparently pirates, modifies or somehow affects the previous.

    * From what I gather when downloading a 32 bit it will work only on 32 bit. When downloading a 64 bit it will work only on 64 bit.

    I suppose that you have your reasons but I am at a bit of a loss as to understanding why you want to preserve the older versions of Windows that are becoming increasingly incompatible and troublesome with the new technology. My philosophy is to keep up and abreast with the new and relegate the old to history and the archives.

    Regards:

    Bill Tibbe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    I had Win8/Win7 in a dual-boot config on my PC (Intel Q6600 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM) and had many issues that I could not resolve (could not attach to all network resources, could not print, could not add remote file folders to my libraries, etc...). i then did a clean install of Win8 on a new SSD and I have not any of those problems at all... It's much cleaner to avoid the dual-boot mess. Install Win7 or any other previous OS in a VM on Win8, that should help you out... Good luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sorry about the confusion wetibbe so I'll clear it up.
    • I built the pc & bought brand new Vista 32-bit OEM physically sealed by Microsoft DISK. Then installed it to that DG33FB motherboard. Not a download or pirated copy in any way, shape or form. Activated it.

    • Then I bought a brand new Windows 7 64-bit OEM physically sealed by Microsoft DISK. Then installed it to that DG33FB motherboard. Not a download or pirated copy in any way, shape or form. Activated it.

    •• Now I have a legal copy of Vista & 7 licensed to to the same motherboard. I purchased 2 versions of Windows for the same computer so that I could improve. I'm not bashing Vista but I like 7 better and recommended 7 to many friends I help.
    Now that I like 8, I can't expect everyone to go out & buy it. Even though 3 of them have already purchased the 8 upgrade @ $40.

    NOTE: A 64-bit motherboard can handle 32-bit or 64-bit OS'


    Quote Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    It's a custom built intel DG33FB mobo▬ E6550 Core Duo CPU, 8GB PC6400 DDR2
    Originally I installed Vista 32-bit OEM full version on it and then I wiped it before
    I installed 7 64-bit OEM full version on it

    For the same motherboard
    Now I'm thinking about buying a SSD to reinstall my legal copy of Vista 32-bit OEM and upgrade to 8
    then partition the harddrive and
    install my legal copy of 7 64-bit OEM

    I like 8 but I need a copy of 7 to help my friends who can't afford to upgrade.

    Will the 32-bit & 64-bit OS' on seperate partitions be a problem?

    The SSD is presumably a relatively new invention. Not out too long. Said to be more expensive than the conventional HDD. There is nothing wrong about being on the cutting edge and venturesome. However, I am told that the logic board on a conventional HDD is more prone to failure than the hard drive itself with all of the moving, spinning parts. The SDD doesn't have much of a track record as yet. If you have disposable income I suppose that it is OK to take a fling.

    Thank you
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    Hi PC:

    Your several manipulations and maneuvers may have a few clinkers that could foul your plans. I'll toss out some potential concerns.

    * Using a purchased disc on someone else's computer may not be successful. It may be computer specific. Normally it's a one purchase, one computer deal.


    * Previously I was severely warned, on this or some other forum, to forget about a dual partition of two different versions of Windows because the more recent apparently pirates, modifies or somehow affects the previous.

    * From what I gather when downloading a 32 bit it will work only on 32 bit. When downloading a 64 bit it will work only on 64 bit.

    I suppose that you have your reasons but I am at a bit of a loss as to understanding why you want to preserve the older versions of Windows that are becoming increasingly incompatible and troublesome with the new technology. My philosophy is to keep up and abreast with the new and relegate the old to history and the archives.

    Regards:

    Bill Tibbe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    azasadny Thank you. VM sounds like perfect solution.
    Would I download 7 from MS like we did XP in 7? Or just use my 7 DVD?
    That way I could bounce between 7 & 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    pcRat, you could use the DVD to install the OS in the VM. Once you get the hang of creating VM's, it's very easy and you'll like the flexibility it gives you. You can make changes, then one-click back to a previous state before you made the changes. We use VM's for testing here at work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    I created one VM when I first got 7 and did XP on VM. Only used it a few times to help friends. The good part is I didn't have to reboot into other OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by azasadny View Post
    pcRat, you could use the DVD to install the OS in the VM. Once you get the hang of creating VM's, it's very easy and you'll like the flexibility it gives you. You can make changes, then one-click back to a previous state before you made the changes. We use VM's for testing here at work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post

    Will the 32-bit & 64-bit OS' on seperate partitions be a problem?

    Thank you
    No,not for me anyway
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

7 & 8 Dual boot
Related Threads
I've been dual booting both 7 and 8x for years, and both have been reinstalled as upgrade in-place repairs, and as far as 8 is, concerned, upgraded several times. I have always preferred the text mode, legacy boot menus, not least because they do not warm reboot when an OS which is not windows...
Hi I recently felt the urge to experiment with Linux and installed Ubuntu Mint and tried to set up dual booting. However I seem to have only suceeded in preventing Windows booting at all. I cannot get into the recovery drive to undo my wrong doing. How can I reset the windows boot manager...
My computer has Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on an SSD. It's that free Windows 8DL MS offered before Windows 8 was released. My son did the 8.1 upgrade. This is the boot drive. The second OS is Windows 7 Ult. x64 on an HHD. Until last week, the SSD had Windows 7, and 8 was on the HDD. The SSD is...
I cloned my existing Windows installation (8.1 pro, 32 bit) onto my new SSD. I got everything up and running, and I still have my old Windows installation on one of the partitions of my HDD. Can I turn this setup into a dual boot? I think this could be useful, in case the new installation gets...
I have installed Blue 8.1 on a separate drive in my system along side 8.0. When I restart the 8.0 boots unless I manually select the 8.1 drive in bios. How can I alter the Boot menu to add the option to boot from either OS?
This happened about two days ago. By going in chronological order: I used to have a dual-boot setup, a Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two different IDE 80GB hard drives, named Drive A and Drive B, respectively. Both of these hard drives are quite old, and I'm worried that it may be near the end of...
On both my Win7/Win8 Dual Boot machines I have now lost both my Advanced Boot Options and System Recovery Options on F8. I cannot boot F8 after BIOS post or after selecting either OS from the Metro-style Boot Menu. I tried running Refresh just now on my deskstop but it didn't reinstall these...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook