Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Sorry MicroSoft, it's to late,

  1. #31


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    I prefer windows to OSX generally - that is why I bought Win 8. Windows 7 was better than OSX and 8 is better still. I own a couple of macs but that is neither here or there. I use them for specific things. You say making a virtual machine is illegal? I guess you are from the US. It is not here afaik - only the license.

    I think the phrase you were looking for rather than autistic is "Muscle memory". I'm a biker and I know that my body acts faster than my brain sometimes. I can put the brakes on before I am aware of an obstruction and my body knows that it is the right hand lever. Same with any repetitive action like looking for, for example, notepad. Before I used to hit window key, "not", <enter>. Now on 8 I am not sure but I will learn it. I do not do it that often in a day though and it is less important than hitting a truck. None the less I do get your point.

    I also type on both AZERTY and QWERTY keyboards and swapping is difficult. I hated the ribbon when it came in but I have to use other peoples computers - it is my job.

    Personally I'd rather the start button as I'm used to it (not much though really) but it is not up to me - it is up to Microsoft. Therefore I'll learn to use it as it is so that I don't get confused when presented by a vanilla installation elsewhere.

    As long as I know you can do windows key + R to run something I'm personally OK.
    Last edited by adamf; 30 Dec 2012 at 19:05. Reason: Muscle Memory not Body Memory

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    . You say making a virtual machine is illegal? I guess you are from the US. It is not here afaik - only the license..
    No I'm not in US, and whatever you are in the world, Apple don't authorize to install the OSX in any other products than an Apple Products, and this count also for the VM. The proof is you can't install it in VM without hack it. And on this forum Pirating, (because it's what you do ) it's against the rules. Apple is not Microsoft they don't sell OS, they sell computers and of course Upgrade for them. I can link you many French website who talk about it.

    c'est simple, tu n'a pas le droit. ( it's simple you don't have the right ) . and I don't use Google to translate. I don't use (vous ) because you probably younger than me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jf1450 View Post
    Here's a trick I found on the 'net to make 8 a little more palatable.

    Right click the taskbar then go to Toolbars > New Toolbar. In the New Toolbar - Choose a Folder dialog box, enter the path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and click Choose Folder. Voila, for all intents and purposes you have a "Start Button" with access to all your programs. Granted, it's called "Programs" and is on the right side of the taskbar but it serves the purpose and doesn't require an add-in.

    -jeff
    can also rightclick that folder for Properties, click Change icon, Shortcut can be pinned to metro start
    good suggestion ,but ,most people who want the classic start want it because it keeps track of the recent used programs,file ect ect for quick access, for me i could use your suggestion,or do as im doing now most used programs icons on my toolbar or the desktop
    To view Recent files open Run and type C:\Users\user name\Recent
    To create a shortcut
    rightclick desktop, click New, click Shortcut, type C:\Users\RON\Recent click OK
    Shortcut can be pinned to metro startClick image for larger version Programs & Recent are at bottom
    Last edited by pcRat; 30 Dec 2012 at 19:51. Reason: add
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    This worked for me - it is from Brink the Admin. Perfect - I can run a jar or any other file from metro with this how-to

    "Pin to Start" Files in Windows 8
    Last edited by adamf; 30 Dec 2012 at 19:57. Reason: clarification
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    I think the phrase you were looking for rather than autistic is "Muscle memory". I'm a biker and I know that my body acts faster than my brain sometimes. I can put the brakes on before I am aware of an obstruction and my body knows that it is the right hand lever. Same with any repetitive action like looking for, for example, notepad. Before I used to hit window key, "not", <enter>. Now on 8 I am not sure but I will learn it. I do not do it that often in a day though and it is less important than hitting a truck. None the less I do get your point.
    Yes, Muscle memory is strong. But, I would imagine that if you drove a car, you wouldn't be trying to stop it with your right hand. The fact is, our body and reflexes adapt to whatever new thing we use if we use it for a bit.

    I know that when I drive a manual transmission for a while, then go to an automatic, my foot goes for the clutch and my hand goes for the stick all the time, but it doesn't take me long to adapt. It's just annoying at first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    my foot goes for the clutch
    I know this is off topic so I'll stop now but if I drive an automatic car I panic slightly as there is no clutch. My body therefore decides to try to use the left foot on the brake as that is where the clutch should be with irritating consequences.

    Perhaps this is relevant in a way after all. Certainly I am slower navigating my way around 8 than 7 but I'm sure I'll pick it up.

    Incidentally if you drove a car on the LHS like the English you could use your right hand for the parking brake to stop. Probably need the clutch first though :-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 59
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit


    A note to "adamf" and all in general, I installed "start8" for a 30 day trail,and yes it is a more complete and refined start button,
    than the other, in fact it is difficult to tell that it is not a part of win8. I will purchase as it is only $4.95.

    walex
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Yes, with Start8 you can turn off the hot corners and charms inside the desktop without affecting the hot corners in the Modern UI. This means you have to use a Winkey press such as Winkey-C to get to the Modern UI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Chester U.K.
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8 Poo Edition (& Windows 7 Premium)


    If you want a replacement for the start menu why not try this- its a registry "hack" (well, just a short cut really) .
    just open a new short cut on your desk top and enter :- "explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}" EXACTLY as in the inverted comma`s.
    Save it onto your desktop.

    Open the properties and under the "shortcut" tab change the Icon for one that suits you.

    then pin to taskbar (right click on icon)

    and Voila! a short-cut to the metro applications list.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wright View Post
    If you want a replacement for the start menu why not try this- its a registry "hack" (well, just a short cut really) .
    just open a new short cut on your desk top and enter :- "explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}" EXACTLY as in the inverted comma`s.
    Save it onto your desktop.

    Open the properties and under the "shortcut" tab change the Icon for one that suits you.

    then pin to taskbar (right click on icon)

    and Voila! a short-cut to the metro applications list.
    I was going to say the windows key does same but I'd be wrong.
    •Then I realized this takes you to Aʟʟ Pʀᴏɢʀᴀᴍs (Aʟʟ ᴀᴘᴘs) & Sᴇᴀʀᴄʜ
    So this is a great 1 click time saver. Compared to 2 clicks & a rightclick

    Thanks for this one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Sorry MicroSoft, it's to late,
Related Threads
Late Adopter in General Support
I am a late adopter of Windows 8. I started with MS-DOS and eagerly bought each new iteration of a new OS and was fairly happy except for ME, a disaster for me, and Vista, which was lacking drivers. When Windows 8 was approaching I read articles, postings on forums, and saw pictures of the...
Read more at: How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft to deliver new Windows 8 and Windows RT Lync app in late October | ZDNet
Read more at: Windows 8 to arrive by late October, Microsoft says | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Windows 8 tablets too late ? in General Support
I just finished a quote for a high school, they want a wireless network for their 632 students that will use Ipad instead of text book and pen. They make the experience last year with 1 class and was extremely satisfy. Apple offer the Ipad at discount for the parents. It's not unique here in...
more at source...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook