Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

  1. #51


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Here's my Windows 7 start menu (not including what's on my taskbar):

    Click image for larger version

    Here's a typical Windows 8 start menu (all apps - from the web), but indicative of what mine would look like:

    Click image for larger version

    For some reason I really like my Windows 7 version over what Windows 8 demands.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 224
    .


    the apps section can get rather busy once you start really using the system, it needs a lot of house keeping.

    not a problem but does detract from the overall experience.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Here's my Windows 7 start menu (not including what's on my taskbar):

    Click image for larger version

    Here's a typical Windows 8 start menu (all apps - from the web), but indicative of what mine would look like:

    Click image for larger version

    For some reason I really like my Windows 7 version over what Windows 8 demands.
    That actually looks EXACTLY like my old start menu.

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    The start menu needed some housekeeping, just as the Start Screen and All apps do. Except, it's easier with All apps as you can open the file location of ANY file on either Start or Apps by right clicking on a tile. Then, you can use Explorer to drag and highlight redundant files to get rid of them quicker than going one by one on the start menu. Today, I tried to do the same thing on 7 as I do with 8, it doesn't seem to work that way...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    come on coke robot be realistic...the start menu isn't king size, it's super duper size
    This is true.
    now all they need to add to metro is some flexibility and bam perfect
    This is also true.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Windows 8 requires me to go to the desktop every time that I want to open a new program, with Windows 7, I just click on a taskbar icon, or the start button and select a program. This is much more efficient than going to another page to reveal the Windows 8 start menu and look for what I need.

    The Windows 8 menu is perfect for mobile phones, as you are restricted by the screen size, so you need to maximise the visual cues for what you're looking for, and the touch experience is ideal, as you can sweep across the screen for groups of icons. This process gives you 'chunks' of information that is easy to digest on a small screen, but becomes cluttered and tedious on a large screen where you see everything at once.

    When is Microsoft going to introduce a dual, triple etc screen mobile phone, so that we can use the Modern apps across multiple screens?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Windows 8 requires me to go to the desktop every time that I want to open a new program, with Windows 7, I just click on a taskbar icon, or the start button and select a program. This is much more efficient than going to another page to reveal the Windows 8 start menu and look for what I need.

    The Windows 8 menu is perfect for mobile phones, as you are restricted by the screen size, so you need to maximise the visual cues for what you're looking for, and the touch experience is ideal, as you can sweep across the screen for groups of icons. This process gives you 'chunks' of information that is easy to digest on a small screen, but becomes cluttered and tedious on a large screen where you see everything at once.

    When is Microsoft going to introduce a dual, triple etc screen mobile phone, so that we can use the Modern apps across multiple screens?
    You know the Taskbar works EXACTLY the same as in 7?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You know the Taskbar works EXACTLY the same as in 7?
    Quite! But there is no taskbar in the Modern interface. You know exactly what I'm referring to and these tactics based around semantics, to support your case, are pretty weak.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You know the Taskbar works EXACTLY the same as in 7?
    Quite! But there is no taskbar in the Modern interface. You know exactly what I'm referring to and these tactics based around semantics, to support your case, are pretty weak.
    You arguments are getting weaker by every post. You're trying to make Windows 8 out to be something that is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY different than how it can be used.

    No Taskbar in the metro UI? There is one. Granted, it's always visible, but not difficult in the slightest to evoke it. Let alone app switching, move the cursor to the top left corner and click if, + Tab, Alt + Tab to move across everything. To me, you're sounding like Windows 8 is more difficult than it is.

    And I don't understand how the Taskbar working the same in 8 as it does in 7 is a weak argument. Umm, that's a factual statement. Pin what you have on your Taskbar in 7 onto 8, move your All Programs list to Start, there you go, not difficult whatsoever to use.

    Or at least, THAT'S JUST ME....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    No matter what you say, you're not going to wind me up. The evidence speaks for itself and you are the one clutching at straws in an attempt to shoot down any and every criticism of Windows 8.

    Every time that you try to shoot down a critic, you pick on some relatively minor point, or play with semantics, rather than addressing the entire picture that is being painted.

    Seriously, the Taskbar wasn't the only thing that I mentioned, yet that's what you fixated on. You thought that you had an easy win, but things aren't that easy when that's just the tip of the iceberg.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    No matter what you say, you're not going to wind me up. The evidence speaks for itself and you are the one clutching at straws in an attempt to shoot down any and every criticism of Windows 8.

    Every time that you try to shoot down a critic, you pick on some relatively minor point, or play with semantics, rather than addressing the entire picture that is being painted.

    Seriously, the Taskbar wasn't the only thing that I mentioned, yet that's what you fixated on. You thought that you had an easy win, but things aren't that easy when that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Oh boy, you're a little over the top today huh?

    Um no, I fixated on the Taskbar because I said after you were suggesting (at least it came across to me) that it's not possible to use the Taskbar on the Desktop as you showed what you have in your All Programs list, not including what's on the Taskbar. I said, "You know the Taskbar works EXACTLY the same as in 7?" Then YOU said, "Quite! But there is no taskbar in the Modern interface. You know exactly what I'm referring to and these tactics based around semantics, to support your case, are pretty weak."

    I have little idea as to what you're EXACTLY referring to as I'm referencing how the Taskbar is used in the same way as it did in 7. I really don't know what else I'm supposed to know as I'm not following this thread to the T to know what you're saying. So please, enlighten me, as you're trying to put words in my mouth that weren't ever there. I take offense.

    Now as for your statement as for me going for some "relatively minor point," yeah I guess I do. To me, the Start Screen isn't a major over the top change as the bloody thing can be used JUST like the start menu, but bigger, full screen and visual. I guess to you, this is a minor point or something you refuse to understand or refuse to admit for the sake of keeping something the same that worked for YOU.

    And yes, I do address the smaller points as that's what makes the bigger picture. Or that's what I know of, I don't know what picture you're looking at. Maybe it's just because I've probably used Windows 8 longer than you've probably used it on a daily basis (arrogant and presumptuous yes, but aren't we all) that I understand it so well to knock down blatant criticism of it, which from what I've seen recently, it's because not everyone understands the changes or used it for 20 minutes. I do, as that's why I can pinpoint minute details and break them down logically versus telling the person to install Classic Shell because that person can't get off their high horse and learn something different because there's no point to it or whatever.

    But that's JUST ME....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it
Related Threads
I'm sorry, but i am really inept and having a hard time getting to know Win8. I just purchased a new laptop which came with a free 30 day trial of Microsoft Office. I had intended to set my laptop up with 2 users - both me, but one for work and one for personal. So what i did was...
Simply put, are you a pessimist, optimist, or "realist?" Realist being the politically correct term of pessimist. :)
Only person uses and loves Bing? in Software and Apps
Why does everyone laugh at Bing? I personally love Bing!!! There are so many more options and it works great for me! Why do many people dislike Microsofts programs? IE & Bing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo A Guy
So let's start. Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10. :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook