Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

  1. #301


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I don't agree at all with piracy, every single program that I have on my devices is paid for, I even send (donate) money to sole developers because I've found their free products to be so good and wish that they can continue developing their products. Yet I have friends who have not purchased one single piece of software, music or movie in their lives and look at me like I'm weird when I say I pay for my stuff.

    There are even cases where they want a piece of software, but aren't willing to pay even a pittance for it, and say they'll wait until it appears on one of the torrents. In fact, I think some are so into the get things for free mentality, that they actually take advantage of their friends, because it's become their moral style. But what do you do?

    I think Microsoft did a trial in China, where they dropped the price of their products significantly, such that it had a major effect on piracy within China. I haven't heard much since, so I have no idea whether it worked long term or whether it's still in place. You might be able to reform the honest thieves, but you'll never reform the hard core ones.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #302


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Billy Bragg very recently said he didn't approve of Piracy - people charging for copies his work. They make money and the artist gets none.

    He finds file sharing helps him to expand his audience and gain a new generation of fans.

    Several others have said the same kind of thing - Pink Floyd, iirc.

    Interesting how they differentiate the two.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #303


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I think all software will eventually be written in the Modern interface only to be purchased via the MS Store. This way they keep track of what's installed on one's computer. I think 3rd party software companies will enjoy this as well.
    Is that supposed to be a good thing?

    MS acting as censor - only what they approve of.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #304


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I don't agree at all with piracy, every single program that I have on my devices is paid for, I even send (donate) money to sole developers because I've found their free products to be so good and wish that they can continue developing their products. Yet I have friends who have not purchased one single piece of software, music or movie in their lives and look at me like I'm weird when I say I pay for my stuff.

    There are even cases where they want a piece of software, but aren't willing to pay even a pittance for it, and say they'll wait until it appears on one of the torrents. In fact, I think some are so into the get things for free mentality, that they actually take advantage of their friends, because it's become their moral style. But what do you do?

    I think Microsoft did a trial in China, where they dropped the price of their products significantly, such that it had a major effect on piracy within China. I haven't heard much since, so I have no idea whether it worked long term or whether it's still in place. You might be able to reform the honest thieves, but you'll never reform the hard core ones.
    I don't know how long you've been on the Internet but I've been here since the beginning, I was on bulletin boards before that. The Internet was vastly a different place at the start with no real GUI, it was like looking at the files and folders on your hard drive.

    Then Web browsers came along and changed the landscape, anyway my point is the Internet was built on porn and Piracy, without it I doubt the computer industry and the Internet would be anywhere near what it is today.

    I actually think that Microsoft owes a lot of what it is today to porn and piracy. The only people that were on the net when it first started were computer geeks like myself, nobody else even knew how to turn a computer on let alone set it up to go on the net. There were no businesses and advertising just websites to download porn, illegal music and hacked programmes, ahhh the good old days, no advertising.
    I remember when businesses first set up on the net, it was like they were invading my private space, how times have changed. I always looked at piracy from the angle that I was just trying a programme to see what it was like. I tried many and hated even more and deleted them just as fast.
    Most of the good ones I eventually bought, I can honestly say that piracy actually made me spend a lot more money than I would have without it.

    Actually I forgot, the first places I found on the Internet were Universities and also bulletin boards.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #305


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I think all software will eventually be written in the Modern interface only to be purchased via the MS Store. This way they keep track of what's installed on one's computer. I think 3rd party software companies will enjoy this as well.
    Is that supposed to be a good thing?

    MS acting as censor - only what they approve of.
    They have already censored one program already and no comments form either side.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #306


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It would be very bleak if the public were to let themselves to be pushed into that position.

    MS might not like start menu alternatives - simple - they don't allow it.

    Most of the films/books/games many of use/read/learn from are not really suitable for under 14's. They don't allow those either,etc,etc.

    It is an appalling prospect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #307


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    If we think about it, we pay for pirating by paying a higher price for legitimate software. Companies have to make profit. Too many thieves and people with there hand out in this world looking for a free ride. It's getting worse by the year. I, for one, am getting sick and tired of it. Something has to change and change soon.
    You're being naive.

    Eliminating Piracy won't cause prices to fall.
    It will have the opposite effect.

    Companies charge "what the market will bear".
    Do you really think that record companies would allow you to buy music for $0.99/track, if they could have eliminated Internet Piracy?

    The only reason that Windows isn't $1k/copy, is that MS knows that there would be a massive surge in the number of pirate installs.
    How much tax would you be willing to pay, to lock up the millions of pirates under that scenario?

    Companies constantly lobby the US Congress to extend copyright duration.

    Note:
    BTW, I am NOT advocating Piracy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #308


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Billy Bragg very recently said he didn't approve of Piracy - people charging for copies his work. They make money and the artist gets none.

    He finds file sharing helps him to expand his audience and gain a new generation of fans.

    Several others have said the same kind of thing - Pink Floyd, iirc.

    Interesting how they differentiate the two.
    Interesting, yes, with no offense, but sometimes I find your logic simply amazing. You referred to two artists that have been around since before the internet was even a word. They made their millions before digital was around via vinyl recordings. My friends and I bought many of them. Difficult to pirate unless one recorded to tape. I knew a few that did via reel to reel. Those were expensive back in the day, so pirating was at a minimum. Then there was the eight track. Then cassette. Then digital on CD. The more technology grew, the more pirating grew.

    Therefore you speak of artists, along with others I'm sure, that could give a rat's ass whether or not someone pirates their work. They have their $millions$. I think these are artists that are simply looking for more popularity and prestige as they stated. In a sense then they are advocating piracy in their own way. How about those starving artists that are starting out working hard to get to the top? How about the one hit wonders? Is that fair to cheat them out of income?

    It doesn't matter what product it is. It all adds to a nation's GNP. That's what makes nations wealthy and healthy. Hard working people developing products so as to gain income to what? -> Spend their money on other products. Therefore, pirating throws a wrench into the working gears of economies.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I think all software will eventually be written in the Modern interface only to be purchased via the MS Store. This way they keep track of what's installed on one's computer. I think 3rd party software companies will enjoy this as well.
    Is that supposed to be a good thing?

    MS acting as censor - only what they approve of.
    Yes, I think it to be a good thing. You may think of it as censorship, but what about quality control aspect of it? I feel your comments lead to the fact that you think MS to be some monopolizing evil empire wanting to control the world of computing. They are a company that simply puts out products as so many do. We as consumers continue to have a choice to buy it or not. They didn't get where they're at by being smucks. Gates was simply a shrewd businessman putting out products that sold tremendously. Consumers voted them in, not Gates.

    IMO, if you want to look at an evil corporation, try looking at a company liken to Walmart after the sons took over. They come into "Little Town America" to devastate that economy. Pure muscle to put ma and pa out of business with their lower prices only to raise them after ma and pa go under. I suggest a documentary called "The High Cost of Lower Prices" as a start. Of course they are not the only ones.

    I, for one, avoid these types like the plague. I just don't see Gates and company attempting these tactics. I feel they continue to have some heart.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #309


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post

    Yes, I think it to be a good thing. You may think of it as censorship, but what about quality control aspect of it? I feel your comments lead to the fact that you think MS to be some monopolizing evil empire wanting to control the world of computing. They are a company that simply puts out products as so many do. We as consumers continue to have a choice to buy it or not. They didn't get where they're at by being smucks. Gates was simply a shrewd businessman putting out products that sold tremendously. Consumers voted them in, not Gates.

    IMO, if you want to look at an evil corporation, try looking at a company liken to Walmart after the sons took over. They come into "Little Town America" to devastate that economy. Pure muscle to put ma and pa out of business with their lower prices only to raise them after ma and pa go under. I suggest a documentary called "The High Cost of Lower Prices" as a start. Of course they are not the only ones.

    I, for one, avoid these types like the plague. I just don't see Gates and company attempting these tactics. I feel they continue to have some heart.
    How quickly we forget; Microsoft was fund guilty in a court of law of the very things that you say they will not do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #310


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    If we think about it, we pay for pirating by paying a higher price for legitimate software. Companies have to make profit. Too many thieves and people with there hand out in this world looking for a free ride. It's getting worse by the year. I, for one, am getting sick and tired of it. Something has to change and change soon.
    You're being naive.

    Eliminating Piracy won't cause prices to fall.
    It will have the opposite effect.

    Companies charge "what the market will bear".
    Do you really think that record companies would allow you to buy music for $0.99/track, if they could have eliminated Internet Piracy?

    The only reason that Windows isn't $1k/copy, is that MS knows that there would be a massive surge in the number of pirate installs.
    How much tax would you be willing to pay, to lock up the millions of pirates under that scenario?

    Companies constantly lobby the US Congress to extend copyright duration.

    Note:
    BTW, I am NOT advocating Piracy.
    Lol! I'm naive in some ways no doubt. I'm aware that one charges what the market can endure. Being in a building business I used to charge by the size of the garage and what's sitting in the garage. Believe you me, I've seen many nice cars sitting in a four-bay garages! I charge accordingly, although I think one needs to keep in mind the shape of the economy. Now? -> Not so damn good! What I've read, totaling overall what American real estate values declined in 2010 -> $1.4 trillion. 2011 -> $800 billion. I don't know what the 2012 figure is and I don't remember what 2009 was. I'm afraid to look! Not looking good for building. Of course this is asset that is used for collateral for building projects. Not no more!

    I'm sure MS follows some formula to charge accordingly. Doesn't make it right, though.

    Perhaps I'm naive to software, but with a brick and mortar store we consumers absorb the cost of shoplifting. Ask any owner. The rate of shoplifting is a given factor added to prices.

    Taxes to prosecute and imprison? Good question! Geez! Who knows the answer to that one? More efficient government for our buck perhaps. The only solution to that one I can think of. Doesn't seem we get it nowadays.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it
Related Threads
I'm sorry, but i am really inept and having a hard time getting to know Win8. I just purchased a new laptop which came with a free 30 day trial of Microsoft Office. I had intended to set my laptop up with 2 users - both me, but one for work and one for personal. So what i did was...
Simply put, are you a pessimist, optimist, or "realist?" Realist being the politically correct term of pessimist. :)
Only person uses and loves Bing? in Software and Apps
Why does everyone laugh at Bing? I personally love Bing!!! There are so many more options and it works great for me! Why do many people dislike Microsofts programs? IE & Bing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo A Guy
So let's start. Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10. :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook