Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

  1. #281


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post

    $599 is the entry point for a Mac. That isn't that bad.
    i agree .cost was never a factor ,my first used computer cost me $750.00,i386,win 3.1 1 meg ram and 40 meg hdd ,my first new one was $2100.00, p166 ,16 meg ram .win95, 2 gig hdd ., so whats price got to do with buying a MAC ,its all about bootleg Games and music .lol
    And pirating software and then gloating about it will get you a swift ban around here. Stealing isn't cool.
    I certainly was not gloating ,just stating fact as to why i think most people buy windows computer or mac's ,

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #282


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Where did you find that.

    Looks like over $1,360 to me - and you probably need to buy other things to go with it.

    Apple (United Kingdom) - Why You

    Quote Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    If Microsoft wants people's money, they need to give people what they want.
    OK. That's fair enough.

    There isn't much choice for many people. Most can't afford a mac, even if they want one. They have to get a machine with windows on it.

    That is why MS will sell about 320m pc's in a 12 month period. It doesn't matter what the o/s is like. They will sell that many by default.
    $599 is the entry point for a Mac. That isn't that bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #283


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Agreed


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hugoboss View Post
    Windows 8 has (to my knowledge) incorporated one of the best little tools ever into the start screen, i.e Microsoft Officelabs Speed Launch. If you EVER used speed launch, you would know what I'm talking about. Hit WIN-C and start typing for an app or shortcut or url to launch. No navigating through tons of menus, and trying to position a mouse cursor accurately.
    Just gets the job done.
    Click start button start typing program name it appears in top left of start menu hit enter it opens. No leaving the desktop no purple jumble.
    Agreed.
    It was introduced in Vista (using the Start Menu search box).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #284


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    When I hear comments like this, it puts visions in my head of someone pressing the start button and going "Oh yeah, baby, that's the stuff".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #285


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    See that's what I hate about the Start page, it's a jumble. I understand why for a touch screen mobile device like a phone or 10" tablet, but on a desktop a cascading menu using the hover event or pseudo class to initiate the cascade is much better.
    That's why we have 3rd-party addons like Start8. With that I use my machine as a "Win7 Plus" machine. I'm at the desktop most of the time and can fiddle around with "Modern" if and when I feel like doing so. In actual practice this thing ain't any harder to use than 7 was. I think we all (myself included) have made a huge deal over this when in actual use it's really not much of a problem. Mine was fixed with a $5 add on. Add to that the $14 I spent for the upgrade to Win8 Pro ... everything working now. Had brief return to 7 but problems worked out now it's fine.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #286


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post

    $599 is the entry point for a Mac. That isn't that bad.
    i agree .cost was never a factor ,my first used computer cost me $750.00,i386,win 3.1 1 meg ram and 40 meg hdd ,my first new one was $2100.00, p166 ,16 meg ram .win95, 2 gig hdd ., so whats price got to do with buying a MAC ,its all about bootleg Games and music .lol
    And pirating software and then gloating about it will get you a swift ban around here. Stealing isn't cool.
    PParks,

    I absolutely concur with this. Piracy seems to be an acceptable behavior in many circles. One guy I work with here actually asked me "You mean you really PAY for your music?". Damned right I do. I pay for everything I use. I'm even one of the six people that's paid for WinZIP (PKZIP before that!).

    When everything is paid for you sleep very well at night.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #287


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    PParks,

    I absolutely concur with this. Piracy seems to be an acceptable behavior in many circles. One guy I work with here actually asked me "You mean you really PAY for your music?". Damned right I do. I pay for everything I use. I'm even one of the six people that's paid for WinZIP (PKZIP before that!).

    When everything is paid for you sleep very well at night.

    -Max
    I agree with this. For some reason, some people think that if somethings easy to steal, then it's OK to steal. Especially when it comes to things in the form of a very large, well-organized set of binary digits that you can't see.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #288


    Posts : 15
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    See that's what I hate about the Start page, it's a jumble. I understand why for a touch screen mobile device like a phone or 10" tablet, but on a desktop a cascading menu using the hover event or pseudo class to initiate the cascade is much better.
    That's why we have 3rd-party addons like Start8. With that I use my machine as a "Win7 Plus" machine. I'm at the desktop most of the time and can fiddle around with "Modern" if and when I feel like doing so. In actual practice this thing ain't any harder to use than 7 was. I think we all (myself included) have made a huge deal over this when in actual use it's really not much of a problem. Mine was fixed with a $5 add on. Add to that the $14 I spent for the upgrade to Win8 Pro ... everything working now. Had brief return to 7 but problems worked out now it's fine.

    -Max
    I agree with this statement. When I upgrade later this month I plan on customizing the 'Start Screen' so it becomes the 'Launch Pad' for my favorite desktop apps. Over time I figure I'll get the hang of the 'Metro' apps and how they can benefit my personal work flow but for the time being the 'Start Screen' will be nothing more then a cool looking application launcher. In fact, I'm planning on buying 'OblyTile' so I can graphically customize the icons on my 'Start Screen' to suit my personal tastes.

    I'm looking forward to it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #289


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    PParks,

    I absolutely concur with this. Piracy seems to be an acceptable behavior in many circles. One guy I work with here actually asked me "You mean you really PAY for your music?". Damned right I do. I pay for everything I use. I'm even one of the six people that's paid for WinZIP (PKZIP before that!).

    When everything is paid for you sleep very well at night.

    -Max
    I agree with this. For some reason, some people think that if somethings easy to steal, then it's OK to steal. Especially when it comes to things in the form of a very large, well-organized set of binary digits that you can't see.
    This (copyright issues) has been a problem ever since computers have existed and particularly once they became "appliances". People do not seem to follow the idea that copying intellectual content is exactly the same thing as stealing. People that wouldn't think of stealing hard goods from a store think nothing of stealing a thousand-dollar software package. If "replicator" (Star Trek) technology ever develops, then stealing cars will be as easy as copying software. What was once considered illegal will then become "OK" because it's easy to do.

    Oops ... I think we're off-topic. Sorry mods!

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #290


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    See that's what I hate about the Start page, it's a jumble. I understand why for a touch screen mobile device like a phone or 10" tablet, but on a desktop a cascading menu using the hover event or pseudo class to initiate the cascade is much better.
    That's why we have 3rd-party addons like Start8. With that I use my machine as a "Win7 Plus" machine. I'm at the desktop most of the time and can fiddle around with "Modern" if and when I feel like doing so. In actual practice this thing ain't any harder to use than 7 was. I think we all (myself included) have made a huge deal over this when in actual use it's really not much of a problem. Mine was fixed with a $5 add on. Add to that the $14 I spent for the upgrade to Win8 Pro ... everything working now. Had brief return to 7 but problems worked out now it's fine.

    -Max
    I agree with this statement. When I upgrade later this month I plan on customizing the 'Start Screen' so it becomes the 'Launch Pad' for my favorite desktop apps. Over time I figure I'll get the hang of the 'Metro' apps and how they can benefit my personal work flow but for the time being the 'Start Screen' will be nothing more then a cool looking application launcher. In fact, I'm planning on buying 'OblyTile' so I can graphically customize the icons on my 'Start Screen' to suit my personal tastes.

    I'm looking forward to it.
    The system really does run fine. As I said, it isn't appreciably different than Win7 but it has the Win8 "extensions" now. I don't use very much in the Metro (OK, Modern) but it's there in case I want to. I've got the development tools and references so I can tinker with it when I feel like it. It's like a book that you only open when you feel like it. I hardly even need to see the "Modern" side of it if I feel like tinkering with it, otherwise everything is pretty much the same as it was.

    I probably won't bother upgrading my other machines from Win7 right now because, frankly, there's nothing about it that I patently *need*. I've only got it on my main notebook machine so I can keep an eye on it and experiment. That it doesn't break anything significant is a plus.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it
Related Threads
I'm sorry, but i am really inept and having a hard time getting to know Win8. I just purchased a new laptop which came with a free 30 day trial of Microsoft Office. I had intended to set my laptop up with 2 users - both me, but one for work and one for personal. So what i did was...
Simply put, are you a pessimist, optimist, or "realist?" Realist being the politically correct term of pessimist. :)
Only person uses and loves Bing? in Software and Apps
Why does everyone laugh at Bing? I personally love Bing!!! There are so many more options and it works great for me! Why do many people dislike Microsofts programs? IE & Bing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo A Guy
So let's start. Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10. :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook