Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

  1. #221


    Chester U.K.
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8 Poo Edition (& Windows 7 Premium)


    Might be an idea to open a new thread, - question - are you using a wireless or wired keyboard?
    Edit -ignore me my eyes are bad (you did say notebook)

    I do get this sometimes if The processor is number-crunching or multi-tasking, everything freezes for a second and I keep typing oblivious - might it just be you have a lot of programs running together?

    does it happen if you just have one program open?

    (that would sound like a hardware problem, maybe a keyboard ribbon connector needs re-seating)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #222


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8

    re opening new thread


    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wright View Post
    ... might it just be you have a lot of programs running together?

    does it happen if you just have one program open?
    I don't use it for heavy duty working as I'm getting used to it. I use it to get my email by going to Comcast.net using Firefox, ergo a browser session...and I've tried typing in a Word.doc just to see if it's happening in more than one application, which it is. I don't generally have several programs up and running on my laptop. And certainly not any that are "tasking". Not yet anyway...and if this continues I never will be. I first thought maybe an auto saving "feature", but maybe it is the ribbon connector. That would be my luck!
    Thanks for your suggestion. If I continue with this issue, I will be calling Dell.

    As far as opening a new thread...I don't know what I'd call it. I mean, I almost have to explain what's happening. What do you think I should call it? Jumping cursor? lol
    Last edited by redbird107; 05 Jan 2013 at 00:44. Reason: additional
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #223


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Yeah.. and to compare the start menu to Budweiser, and the start screen to some nice Micro Brew, is also evidently making a claim that the latter is far better than the prior...
    I did not compare either to anything. I was not saying the start menu was Budweiser. I was saying that just because the majority would choose Budweiser, because it's familiar, does not mean that others are bad or worse. And it does not mean that Budweiser is better. It's just familiar.

    To reverse that, if all you've ever drank Crystal Champaign and you were offered a choice of Asti or Crystal, most would choose Crystal.. again, because that's what they're familiar with. In this case, the Crystal IS better, but the argument does not prove it one way or the other.

    Why is it so hard to understand this simple concept?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #224


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Yeah.. and to compare the start menu to Budweiser, and the start screen to some nice Micro Brew, is also evidently making a claim that the latter is far better than the prior...
    I did not compare either to anything. I was not saying the start menu was Budweiser. I was saying that just because the majority would choose Budweiser, because it's familiar, does not mean that others are bad or worse. And it does not mean that Budweiser is better. It's just familiar.

    To reverse that, if all you've ever drank Crystal Champaign and you were offered a choice of Asti or Crystal, most would choose Crystal.. again, because that's what they're familiar with. In this case, the Crystal IS better, but the argument does not prove it one way or the other.

    Why is it so hard to understand this simple concept?
    Well.. there was the Beer analogy, and there was the dog food analogy. I agree that Budweiser is 'swill', but the start menu isn't. Typically, when someone brings dog food into an analogy with real food, I sort of get the impression that one of the items is being stepped up by the other. I took both analogies as meaning that the start screen is that much better than the start menu. I have used both, extensively, and I prefer the start menu. Not just because it is familiar, but because it is more intuitive and less hassle to maintain. I have yet to meet anyone in person over the age of 12 who felt otherwise. I hope I do some day...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #225


    Chester U.K.
    Posts : 43
    Windows 8 Poo Edition (& Windows 7 Premium)


    @redbird yeah, I see your point, -maybe under general discussion?

    I`d leave it up here and see if anyone else comes up with any possibilitys. I`m betting on the cable because it would explain the cursor "jumps", -an internittent connection might be interpreted as "special" characters by the hardware -(the input being misread )
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #226


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    For the life of me I cannot understand why there is even a back and forth on this topic. I am very happy for all the people who love the start screen. I just cannot understand why they cannot at least admit that Microsoft should have kept the start menu in the OS as an option, that they would like the OS no less if this were the case, and that they also would not have to put up with 23 page forum threads like this one had they done it. What is so wrong with the middle? The answer to everything lies somewhere in the middle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #227


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    The answer to everything lies somewhere in the middle.
    Some only see in black and white; to them, there are no shades of grey.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #228


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Well.. there was the Beer analogy, and there was the dog food analogy. I agree that Budweiser is 'swill', but the start menu isn't. Typically, when someone brings dog food into an analogy with real food, I sort of get the impression that one of the items is being stepped up by the other. I took both analogies as meaning that the start screen is that much better than the start menu. I have used both, extensively, and I prefer the start menu. Not just because it is familiar, but because it is more intuitive and less hassle to maintain. I have yet to meet anyone in person over the age of 12 who felt otherwise. I hope I do some day...
    The point was to provide two extremes. Given two extremes, people will typically choose the one they are familiar with over the one they're not if they are given a choice.

    The argument is "Why doesn't Microsoft give people a choice?" and the answer is that if they do, people will almost always pick what they are familiar with, and will never give the other a chance. The argument was then "Well, that proves that the start menu is better", but it doesn't. It doesn't prove it's better or worse or the same. It only proves that it's what people are familiar with.

    For the sake of argument, let's say the start page were quantifiably 10000x better than the start page. If Microsoft gave people a choice, they would still choose the start menu they know over the start page.

    I saw this with Windows XP. Everyone that had used a previous OS always immediately changed the start menu to the classic 9x/2000 style menu (the single column, not the two column). They all argued the classic menu was more intuitive and was better. I saw the same thing when Vista came out.

    Windows 7 removed the ability to go back to the classic menu, and forced people to use the new Vista/7 style menu and guess what? People like it... They got used to it, because they didn't have a choice, and they found they actually liked it.

    Let's just say that Microsoft is done with allowing legacy UI choice. Since Office 2007 and later Windows 7, it's forward only. They're not going to change their mind on this (as now the third iteration of Office since 2007 proves, still not classic menus). So continuing to say "Why can't they just give us a choice" is pointless. They don't WANT to give you a choice. They've made up their mind, they want you to move forward with them rather than stay in the past. They don't want to keep supporting old UI's. They don't want to spend the time and effort designing new UI's only to have people ignore them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #229


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Actually, Microsoft has acknowledged errors and changed things many times in its history. The ribbon menu is a classic example of recent change from the familiar to the unfamiliar and then back to a more familiar. Windows 8 is the first iteration of a new idea, it's success, or not, depends on acceptance and acceptance is not what it's getting. Windows 8 will change and will provide what the majority is seeking. That may aggravate the progressives, but such is life.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #230


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    All that was, was a cosmetic change. Changing it from an orb to something that said "file". The functionality is the same, so that's hardly a good example. It's basically the same thing as changing from a button that said start to the orb used in Vista/7. In fact, that logic is why they did it in the first place. People had no problem with the change from Start to Orb, so they reasoned that the same would hold true for the Office menu, expecting that people would translate the similar change.

    This is an example of how simply calling it something else and changing an image "fixes" the problem that doesn't really exist. It's showcasing exactly how preconceived notions radically change how people react to things.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it
Related Threads
I'm sorry, but i am really inept and having a hard time getting to know Win8. I just purchased a new laptop which came with a free 30 day trial of Microsoft Office. I had intended to set my laptop up with 2 users - both me, but one for work and one for personal. So what i did was...
Simply put, are you a pessimist, optimist, or "realist?" Realist being the politically correct term of pessimist. :)
Only person uses and loves Bing? in Software and Apps
Why does everyone laugh at Bing? I personally love Bing!!! There are so many more options and it works great for me! Why do many people dislike Microsofts programs? IE & Bing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo A Guy
So let's start. Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10. :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook