Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

  1. #171


    Posts : 219
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    It might be faster, assuming you have one hand on mouse, one hand on keyboard.. If however, you are just casually browsing with the mouse.. it is considerably slower.. Even with mouse and keyboard, it is not faster imo. Anything I can do in start screen, I can also do in start menu just as fast with mouse and keyboard.. Also, I don't have to use google to figure out how to log off my machine.. That was an embarrassment when I was working with a client, and I had to google how to log off..

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #172


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    So in a nutshell.. The OS would be better with Start menu, and start screen.. I still have yet to hear a credible reason as to why the start menu was removed as an option? Yes I work in IT, and I still have yet to meet anyone who likes this aspect of Win 8. Most IT folks I work with, gave it a quick look and cringed, and are too busy to care further..
    From a design standpoint the removal of the Start orb from the desktop makes absolutely no sense. I agree with the implementation of Start8 ... you get a standard Start Menu with the ability to bring up the Metro if you like. Removal of the orb has no technical merit, it was strictly a matter of someone's opinion in one of the boardrooms in Redmond.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #173


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The fact of the matter is, it's *FASTER* to use the start page than it is to use the start menu. I've timed it with myself, and others. There is this perception that the start page takes a lot of time to open, as if you had to physically pick up your computer and shuffle it around your desk to use it. It takes the exact same amount of time to open the start page as it takes to open the start menu, but since you don't have to navigate through menus, which takes more time, you end up with a faster experience.
    Hi Mystere,

    It might be faster to go to Start/All Apps if you know exactly what it is you're looking for. In practice, though, I've found that sometimes you don't know exactly how an item is spelled so the item you're looking for doesn't turn up in the search. I used the desktop w/o Start Menu for about a month before I ante'd up the five bucks for Start-8. Sometimes you want to search the menu in it's logical hierarchical order and a layered menu system is much more precise for that.

    Either way, it's good that we can obtain such extensions for the system as it allows power-users like myself to preserve my customized environment while living with the new stuff in the background. Someone who is not a power user is going to get lost. I wouldn't even presume to pawn this "Modern" thing on my mother-in-law or my wife. My best friend got a laptop for his mother and the two of them had to struggle all day just to get it back to where she could understand how to handle it. Most folks can't think at the level we power users do with this stuff. Seriously.

    Win8 may be "technically" a great product but it's confusing the hell out of the average user.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #174


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Win8 may be "technically" a great product but it's confusing the hell out of the average user.

    -Max
    Well said Max. That precisely reflects the response I'm getting from the average joes who have tried/bought it.

    Shame, because it's basically a good OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #175


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Now answer me this, does the average user try to learn the new OS, or does the IT oriented person try to learn the new OS when trying to make act like a previous one?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #176


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Users want the o/s to function and behave in a way that suits them.

    Peculiar to insist everyone should be forced to go through all kinds of contortions because it suits the manufacturer.

    Strange way to sell a product. Unless of course, the manufacturer is in a monopoly position.

    MS must have thought this through. They know only a small percentage have the option of even thinking about a mac - entry price is too steep for most.

    Though they might lose a few more at the top end of the price scale - they know over 90% will just have to get something with windows on it - or hang on to their existing windows laptop as long as they can. When that finally breaks down - guess what - they have to buy another - and it will have whatever the current windows is.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #177


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Users want the o/s to function and behave in a way that suits them.

    Peculiar to insist everyone should be forced to go through all kinds of contortions because it suits the manufacturer.
    That is a ridiculous statement, and it only takes half a second of thought to realize that it's completely wrong.

    By your logic, it's strange that Apple does not provide a start menu on their computer. That's how I want it! Damn Apple for not giving me what I want! They are going out of business because they won't capitulate to my demands on how they design their OS!

    The fact is, every product maker has a "vision" for their product. They have a brand. They have a style. They build their product to meet that vision, brand and style. *EVERY* product works that way.

    Microsoft has decided to change their brand and vision, and the new brand does not include a start menu. That's their choice, not your choice. Your only say in the matter is whether or not you buy what they offer. You can't demand that since you bought something, they give it to you in a way they don't want to.

    This has nothing to do with a monopoly either. Apple has no monopoly, yet they refuse to deliver an iPhone with live tiles. Damn them. The Ford Escape doesn't come with Headlight Wipers, damn them.. they must have a monopoly for not giving me what I want!

    That is precisely what you are saying. Not only is it unreasonable, it's illogical.
    Last edited by Mystere; 03 Jan 2013 at 19:01.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #178


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    It might be faster to go to Start/All Apps if you know exactly what it is you're looking for. In practice, though, I've found that sometimes you don't know exactly how an item is spelled so the item you're looking for doesn't turn up in the search. I used the desktop w/o Start Menu for about a month before I ante'd up the five bucks for Start-8. Sometimes you want to search the menu in it's logical hierarchical order and a layered menu system is much more precise for that.
    I wasn't talking about search. Search is about the same either way.

    Here's how it works with a start menu:

    Open Start Menu, check to see if the app you want is in the recent list, click on All Programs, Scroll through it until you find the folder for the app you want. Open the folder. Then scroll through that to find the app. If you're lucky, there are only a few items in there. If you're not, such as with Adobe CS Suites, that might be a bit more of a scroll. Finally click on the app.

    Here's how it works with the start page.

    Open the start page, scroll to the tile you want and click.

    How can you imagine the first one is Faster?

    Ok, you say.. you can pin things to the start menu. Sure, but only a limited number of things. You're limited by vertical space, and it doesn't scroll the pinned items. So you're stuck with only having a handful of items available in the pinned list, and for each pinned item that's one less in the recent list.

    The start page is basically an extended Pin list, that scrolls to infinity so you can have as many items pinned as you want. You can organize them into groups (which you can't do with pinned lists, but you can in the all apps). If you organize your start page, it should take you a second to find any app you're looking for.

    But my real argument was this whole concept that somehow, opening the start page is some huge burden and takes so much time. It doesn't. It takes exactly the same time to open as the start menu does (give or take a few microseconds).

    The start menu has many limitations, and frankly I'm glad to be rid of it. It's a pain in the ass. The old old start menu was even worse, with the cascading menus that if you accidentally slipped off of, you'd have to start navigating all over again. They tried to fix that problem with Vista/7's menu that expands, but that was just making navigation worse.

    Frankly, the only real usability fail is the All Programs view. A simple fix to that would solve that problem though, and that fix is to make the headings collapse. Right now you can contextually zoom out, but it lists them in alphabetical groups. I'd like to see 3 levels, one that has all items, one that zooms out to collapsed headers, and one that zooms out to alphabetical groups. That would fix the problem of All Apps in my opinion, but then I never use all apps... so it's not a big deal for me.

    EDIT:

    Just to show how little I use all apps, I just checked and it does in fact collapse each group as well as having the alphabetical selectors. So even that isn't even an issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #179


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Users want the o/s to function and behave in a way that suits them.

    Peculiar to insist everyone should be forced to go through all kinds of contortions because it suits the manufacturer.
    That is a ridiculous statement, and it only takes half a second of thought to realize that it's completely wrong.

    By your logic, it's strange that Apple does not provide a start menu on their computer. That's how I want it! Damn Apple for not giving me what I want! They are going out of business because they won't capitulate to my demands on how they design their OS!
    Poor analogy. Apple didn't have a start menu to start with and then take it away. That's different than not having it in the first place, for many years in fact, establishing a working paradigm, and then removing it for no apparent logical reason at all. MS is notorious for coercing the user into a new paradigm by denying them something that worked well for them. Even though they *might* have a functional equivalent provided, it doesn't provide a clear functional or ease-of-use advantage.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #180


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Users want the o/s to function and behave in a way that suits them.

    Peculiar to insist everyone should be forced to go through all kinds of contortions because it suits the manufacturer.
    That is a ridiculous statement, and it only takes half a second of thought to realize that it's completely wrong.

    By your logic, it's strange that Apple does not provide a start menu on their computer. That's how I want it! Damn Apple for not giving me what I want! They are going out of business because they won't capitulate to my demands on how they design their OS!
    Poor analogy. Apple didn't have a start menu to start with and then take it away. That's different than not having it in the first place, for many years in fact, establishing a working paradigm, and then removing it for no apparent logical reason at all. MS is notorious for coercing the user into a new paradigm by denying them something that worked well for them. Even though they *might* have a functional equivalent provided, it doesn't provide a clear functional or ease-of-use advantage.
    Look what happened to Apple when they removed Google maps and replaced it with imaps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it
Related Threads
I'm sorry, but i am really inept and having a hard time getting to know Win8. I just purchased a new laptop which came with a free 30 day trial of Microsoft Office. I had intended to set my laptop up with 2 users - both me, but one for work and one for personal. So what i did was...
Simply put, are you a pessimist, optimist, or "realist?" Realist being the politically correct term of pessimist. :)
Only person uses and loves Bing? in Software and Apps
Why does everyone laugh at Bing? I personally love Bing!!! There are so many more options and it works great for me! Why do many people dislike Microsofts programs? IE & Bing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo A Guy
So let's start. Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10. :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook