Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

  1. #131


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
    I have been bought a new laptop for xmas but it is windows 8. I am getting lots of negative comments about it from people who use it and they say it takes a while to get use to. Can anyone please let me know if it is better than window 7 or not. Many thanks.
    The desktop is now a portal of the Modern UI to run your Win32 legacy programs as one always has.
    Sorry but that is a daft statement. The desktop where you run the productive program's, win32 or win64, including the new version of Office. There are no serious applications that run in Metro, it is the toy interface for the children to play with. Hell why call it windows when the modern metro UI does't have any? It's FullScreen8. That's why the desktop is there so you can actually do some work with it and it is a very good OS when you do.

    All serious work is carried out in proper program's run from the desktop. Do you seriously think there will be a metro version of Creative Suite, Autocad, sony Vegas, Avid or any other professional software. Metro is what is technically called a dead end.
    Daft statement, eh? I never stated there were productive Modern Store apps -> Yet anyway. If you read my post again more carefully you'd see I stated that the desktop is now a portal to continue to run legacy programs just as one always has. This is a "transitional" OS.

    And yes, i think there will eventually be Modern interface versions of all those programs you listed only to be purchased via the MS store. Who's to say they can't be written in the Modern interface? MS will get a cut. They also keep track of what's installed on one's computer. Ever see the "My Apps" in the Store? I recently performed an install from RP to Enterprise. All my apps nicely listed in the Store ready for me to click the button for me to install again. So they keep track on a server. I think MS finally woke up to the fact that software companies have been sponging profits off their OSs since inception, especially AVs. That's why Defender was written kernel deep just to name one tactic.

    I think 3rd parties are very interested in this concept for it will cut way down on piracy. Do you know how many illegal copies of AutoCad (just to name one of many) I've seen on PCs through the years? -> Many. How many $millions$ do you think MS and others have lost through the years due to piracy? And how about the working-stiff writer and other employees? Do you think their pay could have been a little higher if it weren't for piracy?

    And while I'm at it, how about OS Keys registered in the BIOS? Less piracy. Remember, legally it's their software. We buy the license to use it.

    And why the concept of 8 running like a VM? Deeper UAC? Deeper file/folder ownership? Safer. Harder to hack into and pirate I would guess.

    Bottom line -> No more Mr. Nice Guy MS. Times are lean. The market has changed demanding mobile and touch. Societies are mobile these days. You'll get the OS they envision it to be. You'll get MS Mail app, People app, Photos app, and some games as we have in the past, but that's it. Buy the rest via the Store.

    MS saw fit for a change. It is what it is.

    Oh that old Hippie! He's got some strange ideas, doesn't he?!!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #132


    Posts : 224
    .


    the move on piracy is a good one, strong and sends a clear message ''we're not playing nice anymore'' it's about time, but it also has to be met with well priced products.
    take photoshop essentials...really no reason to pirate that at such a low price and most don't even need or know how to use half the features of the full photoshop.

    but piracy will always find a way to get something out their for free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #133


    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    Sorry gypsie but it won't happen. The reason Windows MacOSX, Linux distros, work for productive uses is resizable windows. Today I was coding in dreamweaver, I had photoshop in another window working on some images, Illustrator in another window because I was also working with some vector images, Outlook in another window to keep an eye on my email, Word in another for some text content I was using and iTunes and two browser windows; all in separate resized windows spread over three monitors. Metro doesn't allow that, at best I would have 3 full screen apps. Full screen apps are fine on a 10 inch tablet but what's the point with a 26 inch monitor?
    If MS force this UI any further then professional users will just leave the platform, there is then no need for Windows Server, Sharepoint and the rest of their products. That's why they fired the guy behind the disaster.
    I understand why they thought they needed to get into mobile devices, I don't think they will succeed and they made the huge mistake of trying to force a mobile phone UI on professional users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #134


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Would you please stop repeating the BS about Sinofsky? There is *0* evidence to support your conclusion that he was fired because of Metro. In fact, there is ample evidence to the contrary. But, the fact is you don't know why Sinfosky left, nor do I, but anything related to metro is so unlikely that you'd have to be a complete and total moron to think so.

    a) Sinofsky didn't want Metro, he was against it.

    b) The person that replaced him was the person that championed Metro in the first place.

    c) The most credible rumor is that he was asked to leave because he tried to make a power play for Ballmers job. Nothing to do with Windows 8 or Metro.

    d) The second most credible rumor is that he was fired because of his "poor people skills", that is he was an abrasive person that pissed off most everyone he dealt with, and eventually he pissed off the wrong person.

    e) Microsoft shows no signs of backing down on Metro, even after Sinofsky's departure.

    So please stop saying, matter of factly, things you don't seem to have the slightest clue about. And stop repeating it, when its abundantly clear that it's just not true.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #135


    Meaning no offence but I find that this and other forums dedicated to windows 8 is at best a win 8 fan club! Anyone wishing to complain is met with a barrage of negativity and the would be supporters simply cannot accept even the slightest criticism of either MS nor of win8.
    Only time will tell how win 8 will fare! Personally I dislike METRO simply because it is not a desktop UI and is solely aimed at the Facebook® etc. crowd. MS has basically tried to marry a motorcycle to a car and this exhibits severe restrictions to users who use their PCs for work.

    I went to see The Hobbit yesterday at the Mall and there were various laptops and tablets brands being exhibited with Win8 installed. I noticed that very few people paid any attention and those that did would try to navigate and just gave up with a frown on their faces. I asked some of them what they thought and they simply expressed their negative first experience with METRO with something along this line: "It makes no sense to me and it is not intuitive".

    METRO should be the option and not Desktop. Anyone wishing to do serious work with his PC should avoid win8!

    Just my opinion!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #136


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I'm curious, how well do they take it on Mac and Linux forums if you walk in and start telling them how much their OS sucks, and how terrible they must be to like it.

    I bet you get bad reactions. I wonder why that is? I just can't seem to figure it out.. Apparently, neither can you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #137


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Would you please stop repeating the BS about Sinofsky? There is *0* evidence to support your conclusion that he was fired because of Metro. In fact, there is ample evidence to the contrary. But, the fact is you don't know why Sinfosky left, nor do I, but anything related to metro is so unlikely that you'd have to be a complete and total moron to think so.

    a) Sinofsky didn't want Metro, he was against it.

    b) The person that replaced him was the person that championed Metro in the first place.

    c) The most credible rumor is that he was asked to leave because he tried to make a power play for Ballmers job. Nothing to do with Windows 8 or Metro.

    d) The second most credible rumor is that he was fired because of his "poor people skills", that is he was an abrasive person that pissed off most everyone he dealt with, and eventually he pissed off the wrong person.

    e) Microsoft shows no signs of backing down on Metro, even after Sinofsky's departure.

    So please stop saying, matter of factly, things you don't seem to have the slightest clue about. And stop repeating it, when its abundantly clear that it's just not true.
    Whats left at Microsoft is sure ticking off millions of there customers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #138


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I'm curious, how well do they take it on Mac and Linux forums if you walk in and start telling them how much their OS sucks, and how terrible they must be to like it.

    I bet you get bad reactions. I wonder why that is? I just can't seem to figure it out.. Apparently, neither can you.

    Hi there

    (Comments not directed at Mystere -- but answering his points !!).


    If you actually READ some of the Linux Forums -- a good one to start with is www.linuxquestions.org you can find some absolutely SCATHING comments about release XXX --that's a load of rubbish compared with the previous release YYYY. So even on those forums people can discuss about the shortcomings in the latest release of their favourite Linux distro.

    Most people here are previous Windows users and so there isn't ANYTHING WRONG in discussing what one things is a mistake or just plain BONKERS with the latest release.


    There's NOTHING wrong in pointing out defects or shortcomings with the latest release.

    Most people won't give you a hard time because you want to rubbish W8 - but criticism must be reasonably valid. If people can't answer politely either then just ignore them.

    From what I've see on the W7 / W8 Forums are that 99% are reasonable. There's always one or two rubber a--h---s around in any situation - just IGNORE THEM.

    If you have valid criticism with Windows 8 (and there are enough around) make your point.

    What to me is totally stupid is that if one doesn't like Windows in any shape or form then why do they bother logging on to a Windows Forum.

    Hopefully you would get the same reaction if you logged on to a Harley Bikers site and then said Harley's were the WORST BIKES ever invented. !!!


    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #139


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    I have yet to meet anyone who actually uses it. Most just can't be bothered.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #140


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    If you actually READ some of the Linux Forums -- a good one to start with is www.linuxquestions.org you can find some absolutely SCATHING comments about release XXX --that's a load of rubbish compared with the previous release YYYY. So even on those forums people can discuss about the shortcomings in the latest release of their favourite Linux distro.

    Most people here are previous Windows users and so there isn't ANYTHING WRONG in discussing what one things is a mistake or just plain BONKERS with the latest release.
    The difference is that you're not going to UbuntuQuantalQuetzal.com and complaining that it sucks and everyone should go back to Precise Pangolin. This is specifically a Windows 8 forum, not a Windows generic forum. Your Linux forums are generic and are for the discussion of all versions of Linux, or even all versions of a specific brand of Linux. We're in a unique situation here. You don't see MacOSX Mountain Lion forums, but you do see version specific forums for Windows.

    Because this forum is version specific, the same rules apply as if you went to a Linux forum and told them Linux sucks and to use Windows. It's not constructive, and it doesn't help anyone.


    There's NOTHING wrong in pointing out defects or shortcomings with the latest release.

    Most people won't give you a hard time because you want to rubbish W8 - but criticism must be reasonably valid. If people can't answer politely either then just ignore them.

    From what I've see on the W7 / W8 Forums are that 99% are reasonable. There's always one or two rubber a--h---s around in any situation - just IGNORE THEM.

    If you have valid criticism with Windows 8 (and there are enough around) make your point.

    What to me is totally stupid is that if one doesn't like Windows in any shape or form then why do they bother logging on to a Windows Forum.

    Hopefully you would get the same reaction if you logged on to a Harley Bikers site and then said Harley's were the WORST BIKES ever invented. !!!


    Cheers
    jimbo[/QUOTE]
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it
Related Threads
I'm sorry, but i am really inept and having a hard time getting to know Win8. I just purchased a new laptop which came with a free 30 day trial of Microsoft Office. I had intended to set my laptop up with 2 users - both me, but one for work and one for personal. So what i did was...
Simply put, are you a pessimist, optimist, or "realist?" Realist being the politically correct term of pessimist. :)
Only person uses and loves Bing? in Software and Apps
Why does everyone laugh at Bing? I personally love Bing!!! There are so many more options and it works great for me! Why do many people dislike Microsofts programs? IE & Bing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo A Guy
So let's start. Rate it from 0/10 to 10/10. :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook