Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

  1. #231


    Philadelphia
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    All Windows 8 has done is introduce a different looking start menu that takes you to apps that you have no ability to view and use, other than on a single screen. No ability to re-size, no ability to use re-sized, no ability to move about, no ability to use dual monitors. That, of course, is just my opinion.
    That's part of the beauty of Windows 8. If you have a computer, such as a touch screen-enabled device, you have an OS tailored for that. If you don't, or prefer the W7-style Start Menu and Desktop, you can use your OS in that manner as well.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #232


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    BUT Mystere NEW Coke replaced Original Coke! How soon those Pepsi lovers forget.
    That's what I said.

    And, while they did eventually revert back to Classic coke, we still have vestiges of it in the form of Diet Coke, which is the same formula but with NutraSweet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #233


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    All Windows 8 has done is introduce a different looking start menu that takes you to apps that you have no ability to view and use, other than on a single screen. No ability to re-size, no ability to use re-sized, no ability to move about, no ability to use dual monitors. That, of course, is just my opinion.
    That's part of the beauty of Windows 8. If you have a computer, such as a touch screen-enabled device, you have an OS tailored for that. If you don't, or prefer the W7-style Start Menu and Desktop, you can use your OS in that manner as well.
    I still don't understand why people fail to comprehend what I'm saying. Windows 8 does not offer a great deal of practicality, when it comes to running apps. If you had a 48" touch (or not) screen, all you could do is open one app at a time and only view it full screen (or split two apps on one screen for the pedantic). That is utterly dumb.

    Also, you can't fully default to a desktop, without resorting to third party software, to eliminate the need for the Windows 8 start menu. Again, no beauty or practicality in having to go to a completely different screen to choose programs each time, when a simple start button is proven.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #234


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    The overall big picture...
    ...through rose tinted glasses.
    I suggest you take your blinders off and put some glasses on. I believe the "present future" of computing is before our very eyes. I feel Windows 8 is an ingenious model far beyond anything Apple, Google, or anyone else could possibly develop. Others simply do not have, or ever will have the talented and creative personal that MS has.
    ...Too-a-roo for now .....
    I sure hope not in my research on how to disable the metro VM I ran across this If the dictators at Microsoft do not like an APP they can disable it on your tablet even if it is a paid APP that you like.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #235


    I think with a few tweaks when they do the next version or update it in blue or what have you they can make it more business friendly. At the core in desktop most things haven't changed. But for the things that have changed I can see overall why it can make business users unlikely to be able to use it as well. Vista wasn't actually that bad I just didn't see it as much of an improvement with the time between Vista and XP. Windows 8 is okay just not as easy to use as it could be but maybe that will change and if not business can wait for an update or next windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #236


    Philadelphia
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I still don't understand why people fail to comprehend what I'm saying. Windows 8 does not offer a great deal of practicality, when it comes to running apps. If you had a 48" touch (or not) screen, all you could do is open one app at a time and only view it full screen (or split two apps on one screen for the pedantic). That is utterly dumb.
    It offers plenty...you just haven't been through the learning curve yet. I'm not in front of my W8 system, but in the Launch Event, MS demonstrated that in tiled ui, you can swipe down along the left of the screen and see all active apps...then click on one you want to switch to, much like a hidden task bar.

    Yes, it is a shame that you need a third party app for a Start Menu, but plenty of options are free, and work very well. Instead of considering this a roadblock, it's actually a minor speed bump.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #237


    bla bla bla, adopt it now and learn (especially if you are an IT Professional). Or stick with Windows 7 and wait for SP1 to "fix" or add "features" that people are crying about.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #238


    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarpancake View Post
    bla bla bla, adopt it now and learn (especially if you are an IT Professional). Or stick with Windows 7 and wait for SP1 to "fix" or add "features" that people are crying about.
    Only the wheel that whines will get the grease.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #239


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Listen. I agree, Windows 8 is not perfect. And there are some missteps, but over all, they are not the end of the world.
    Yes, Apps should run like normal Desktop Software and have re-sizable windows to provide true Multi-Tasking abilities.

    Had they done that, i believe that Windows 8 would be an Android/Apple Killer. That's true.

    But as with Vista, MS are taking a new approach to things. This is not a bad thing.
    Live Tiles are great. Among other things.

    I think too many people take the absolute Extreme side of things.

    Instead of looking at a lot of the positives, they are just writing everything off all because they don't like the GUI,, that's well......

    MS doens't want to lose the future to the likes of Apple and Android. So they are trying aomething new,, I think it's a great direction that needs quite a bit of tweaking. I think we will see those get fixed.
    No they are alienating at least 30 to 40% of there current installed base with a ui made for TOYS.
    I think I know -> that you know -> that they know that -> that "at least 30 to 40% of there current installed base" will stick to 7, some other prior OS, or upgrade to 7 while they introduce this needed "market-demanding transitional" OS. A business plan involves a time line. It takes time for transition. I'm quite sure they have a 9 that they're already working on to appease that 30 to 40%.

    Has anyone thought about what you will say us "fanbois" when we get to NineForums? Or better yet -> What we will say to you?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #240


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
    It offers plenty...you just haven't been through the learning curve yet. I'm not in front of my W8 system, but in the Launch Event, MS demonstrated that in tiled ui, you can swipe down along the left of the screen and see all active apps...then click on one you want to switch to, much like a hidden task bar.

    Yes, it is a shame that you need a third party app for a Start Menu, but plenty of options are free, and work very well. Instead of considering this a roadblock, it's actually a minor speed bump.
    How long should a learning curve be, before one is able to make some judgements as to a product's functionality/practicality? I learned to us Photoshop, Lightroom, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a bunch of other programs without any training and they are somewhat harder to learn than a simple start menu. And yes, I also know that you can get third party hacks to fix the problems; that in itself shows that there is a problem.

    I'm able to use Windows 8 as well as anyone, but the start menu and associated apps are a complete dog's breakfast in terms of useability and practicality on a desktop. Yes, I also know that there are people on this forum who believe that the start menu is God's gift to the world, but they are also the ones that believe that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But you can't run away from the fact that the start menu and associated apps work within the limitations imposed by smart phones. How dumb is that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista
Related Threads
I would this feature be place in windows 8.1 it was good Hidden Icons feature.
I really need a windows vista iso which doesn't take forever to download, I don't want any torrents either.
Solved My windows vista crashed in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi I am wanting help I was removing programmes from my add remove programmes , which seemed fine . The next day I switched my Acer laptop 7730 on and windows corrupt file kept coming up quite a few , then the thing just went off and it would not reboot again. I could not do a system restore there...
Hi Guys. I am considering upgrading from windows vista to windows 8, but one thing I am not sure of, are games that play on Vista or XP ( Myst Series. Rhem.etc) playable on windows 8? I have too many games to mention here, but would be grateful if anyone could help me. Much appreciated. Thanks....
As title really. What are the chances of Windows 8 being to Windows 7 what Vista was to XP? Everyone seems to be very happy with Windows 7 so do you not think that Windows 8 will flop and everyone will just keep with 7?
To see the bug, follow these steps: 1. Go to the desktop, 2. Right Click on the desktop and make new shortcut, 3. On the Make Shortcut dialog, press cancel, 4. Right Click again, you will see a new menu: Undo New CTRL+Z 11945
A way to use VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition) on x64 Windows with signed drivers from Oracle: (see next post)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook