Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

  1. #141


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    How many times do I have to repeat myself?

    DELL DOES NOT PAY MICROSOFT FOR A COPY OF WINDOWS UNTIL THEY SELL IT TO A CUSTOMER. It's the same for any other major OEM.

    Yes, small mom and pop shops may buy individual licenses, and those would count as sold, but those stores are not going to buy a large quantity of them, they'll have whatever they need on hand because they don't have a lot of money for inventory.

    Please stop with the absolutes. You seem to love to make these arguments that are all or nothing. Touch sucks because sometimes you need a keyboard, Metro sucks because sometimes you need more than one window, etc.. those are called strawman arguments. You deliberately setup a false scenario by specifying an extreme position and then proceed to discredit it.

    I'm not saying there are 0 possible unsold copies in that calculation, but it's unlikely that there is a large percentage because, as I said, OEM's do not pay Microsoft until they have themselves sold a computer with it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #142


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    OEM's do not pay Microsoft until they have themselves sold a computer with it.
    As I work with OEM I can back this up. OS is billed on a customer activation basis not on how many machines you have built. OEMs only pay for what is used by the consumer after point of sale.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #143


    So are you saying that 39 million copies are definately being used? At the end of the day, you are the one wanting to argue all the time.Everytime anyone has an opinion or negative about win 8, you say it is wrong, then present your own opinion and say it is fact.You have no idea how many people actually own a copy, but you are saying that because MS has sold 40 million, then 40 million are in use.
    You were the one asking what i was doing on this forum by simply stating my opinion that people would not buy it because they read negative reviews whether they are from magazines or Amazon.It doesn`t matter how they are sold, there will not all be sold.Not once have i ever stated i don`t want windows 8 then you twist what i wrote to cause an argument. If people have a differing opinion to you, then you get all upset because it isnt your view.
    So please stop making arguments with people who are presenting opinions then questioning why they are on the board.I also see it isnt the first time you have argued with people today, so you must be in an argumentative mood today
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #144


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I'm not sure that the number of sales is really indicative of the number actually using Windows 8. For example, I purchase a licence for my tablet and PC, but removed Windows 8 from my tablet and retain it on my PC in case it comes out with future improvement that suit my needs, which it doesn't at the moment.

    Or you could compare it to Linux downloads. Millions of Linux distributions are downloaded, but how many are actually being fully used and not just downloaded for interest sake? I've downloaded Ubuntu many times and eventually deleted it from my system and recently downloaded Mint and still experimenting with ti, but not using it in anger.

    As they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #145


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I'm not sure that the number of sales is really indicative of the number actually using Windows 8.
    Of course it doesn't, but that wasn't Gavin's argument so it's a moot point. He claimed that that Nobody would buy Windows 8, and when I countered that there were already more than 40 million copies sold, he first denied that this number had been sold (despite having no evidence to support it), essentially insinuated that Microsoft was lying about the numbers, then tried to claim that those numbers represented millions of computers sitting in warehouses, unsold.

    Whether or not those licenses are in use (and I think a large percentage of them are, but that doesn't really matter and there is no data to support it one way or the other), they have been sold.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #146


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Here's an interesting take:

    The latest figure does not mean that 40 million users have adopted Windows 8. Many of the sales are to PC manufacturers, who in turn sell a large number of machines to companies, very few of which are using Windows 8 yet.

    According to tech research firm StatCounter, about 1 percent of the world's 1.5 billion or so personal computers - making a total of around 15 million - are actually running Windows 8.
    Microsoft sold 40m Windows 8 licenses in month - Software - Technology - News - iTnews.com.au
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #147


    Posts : 13
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    This is all just silly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #148


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I'm not sure that the number of sales is really indicative of the number actually using Windows 8.
    Of course it doesn't, but that wasn't Gavin's argument so it's a moot point. He claimed that that Nobody would buy Windows 8, and when I countered that there were already more than 40 million copies sold, he first denied that this number had been sold (despite having no evidence to support it), essentially insinuated that Microsoft was lying about the numbers, then tried to claim that those numbers represented millions of computers sitting in warehouses, unsold.

    Whether or not those licenses are in use (and I think a large percentage of them are, but that doesn't really matter and there is no data to support it one way or the other), they have been sold.
    No it was your argument.You show me where i wrote nobody would buy it? You have read an opinion again and decided to make it mean something else.Saying people won`t buy it cause of bad reviews, is not the same as saying nobody will buy it.Why make things up as to what i have written? Maybe they have sold 40 million.or even 100 million, the fact is, if it hadnt been for negative reviews, and the fact some people dont care about a new version, they could have sold 20 million more, so i think my opinion for what it is worth valid.That is what i had written.
    I suggest you read my statement again
    Also can you show me where i said Microsoft were lying.I never denied it, i just wanted to know where you got the facts from and you provided it, so fair play to you. Again you make things up to try to support your argument.Maybe there aren`t loads of computers in warehouses but i would imagine there are a fair few copies in warehouses.
    Last edited by Gavin; 11 Dec 2012 at 22:27.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #149


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    You show me where i wrote nobody would buy it?
    Really? .... Really? You do know we can just scroll back a few pages and see what you wrote, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    I am simply saying why people won`t buy it
    Oh, and

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    people won`t see the point of spending 40 to upgrade.
    You're seriously going to claim you didn't say these things?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #150


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You know, I have think, why not just cut out the physical phone part altogether? I was considering signing up for an SMS service for Outlook, and using Skype for calling. On a tablet, use a SIM card for data, do the same.
    Often the physical phone is a very valid tool. You hardly want to carry around a tablet or similar when you go shopping, but having a phone with you is handy. I smart phone is like a Swiss Army Knife, it can do a lot of handy things to get you out of a bind, buit it's not a substitute for a tool kit. But you're not likely to be carrying around a tool kit all the time.
    That's why a tablet needs to be invented that has a phone receiver part of it, actually ASUS has something like that called Padfone. A phone with a tablet.

    But if I use a Windows Phone, and Windows 8, I have little need to do something like that as the UIs are similar, but different; so there wouldn't be a need to control anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista
Related Threads
I would this feature be place in windows 8.1 it was good Hidden Icons feature.
I really need a windows vista iso which doesn't take forever to download, I don't want any torrents either.
Solved My windows vista crashed in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi I am wanting help I was removing programmes from my add remove programmes , which seemed fine . The next day I switched my Acer laptop 7730 on and windows corrupt file kept coming up quite a few , then the thing just went off and it would not reboot again. I could not do a system restore there...
Hi Guys. I am considering upgrading from windows vista to windows 8, but one thing I am not sure of, are games that play on Vista or XP ( Myst Series. Rhem.etc) playable on windows 8? I have too many games to mention here, but would be grateful if anyone could help me. Much appreciated. Thanks....
As title really. What are the chances of Windows 8 being to Windows 7 what Vista was to XP? Everyone seems to be very happy with Windows 7 so do you not think that Windows 8 will flop and everyone will just keep with 7?
To see the bug, follow these steps: 1. Go to the desktop, 2. Right Click on the desktop and make new shortcut, 3. On the Make Shortcut dialog, press cancel, 4. Right Click again, you will see a new menu: Undo New CTRL+Z 11945
A way to use VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition) on x64 Windows with signed drivers from Oracle: (see next post)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook