Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

  1. #111


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    It also requires the purchase of additional hardware, that is essentially where they shot themselves in the foot.

    how many 10 point multi touch monitors are there on the market?
    It doesn't *require* any such thing. If you want to use touch, then you need a touch device (which, by the way does not have to be a monitor, there are touch pads available that enable the same functionality for a fraction of the price of a touch screen). If you don't want to use touch, then you don't have to. Please, people.. stop making specious arguments that aren't based in reality. Nobody is forcing you to use touch, or to buy any new hardware (other than if your CPU isn't capable of running it).
    you just agree'd with me....you need a touch device...confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    but a tablet bought a few years ago is effectively redundant today, through lack of o/s updates that should have been available and improvments to the hardware they can fit in.
    No, tablets are a rapidly progressing market, and technology in tablets has increased exponentially in the last few years. Tablets from a few years ago were 500Mhz with 800x600 displays and resistive touch screens with poor touch resolution. If you were lucky enough to get something with capacitive touch, then you paid a pretty penny for it. Today it's a mandatory feature.
    kind of my point? so they are redundant as they can not run current apps, how does that change the fact that tablets can only go so far without a serious shift in how chips are made?...again you just improved on my point...mystere are you trolling?

    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    once a tablet hits the market that does enough and the hardware reaches a maturity and the o/s can last a few years you'll see a massive drop off in tablet sales simply because they won't need to be replaced.
    Yes, but that time is probably 5-10 years away. Look at the phone market, it's now > 5 years old and it shows no sign of slowing down.
    the phone market will change as different devices come to the fore and change the way we communicate, communication is a very different industry and not something you can compare with the tablet or IT industry as a whole, telecoms will always be an ever changing and advancing industry, but that doesn't mean the mobile phone market will follow it, their are already alternative options in R&D that may see a market release but not for some time. way to go for assuming the mobile phone industry won't go through changes as the years go by.

    the tablet market will hit a brick wall of tech advances far far sooner, you can only shrink a dye so far before you reach a point of no progress with current silicon based chips, the desktop market is no different on that front either. when it happens for tablets is decided when the consumers get what they need out of a tablet and don't need anything more, that's not decided by tech firms that's decided by consumers.

    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    just look at the sales of ipads, they are declining because the ipad 3 isn't much better than the ipad 2 so people don't feel the need to upgrade as the jump isn't high enough to warrant the purchase. nuff said.
    No, the iPad 3 sales are dropping off because the iPad 4 came out, less than 6 months after the iPad 3 came out... doesn't that more or less kill your argument?


    you should have done some checking, the ipad 4 doesn't exist, it is the ipad 3 just with some minor changes so it's just the ipad 3.5 or maybe i missed the massive marketing campaign for the ipad 4. in any case it is still sold as the ipad...not the ipad 3 not the ipad 4 just ipad and those sales are dropping.

    and i was refering to apples market share that has dropped to 50% on all tablet revisions models types pick one....

    maybe you shouldn't be so quick to infer a point and decide and argument is dead when it wasn't an argument just mere fact based on the sales, oh and that was over the last 2 sales quarters a 6 month period where apple have seen a decline in sales.

    i'm starting to think you just want an argument for the sake of it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Posts : 99
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64


    See, comments like, "it requires a touch device" just makes it seem as if you've never touched (bad pun, I know) the OS. Get a decent optical mouse that has more than 400 DPI and using the mouse is perfectly fine in 8 for pretty much everything. I haven't even bothered to use keyboard shortcuts lately.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Posts : 224
    .


    ah yes sorry chrono, i was coming at that from a previous discussion and a different angle, looks worse there lol.

    it was about how microsoft released metro for desktops with touch being the focus of metro and it does work really well under touch far better than with a mouse...and some other yada yada yada comments.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
    See, comments like, "it requires a touch device" just makes it seem as if you've never touched (bad pun, I know) the OS. Get a decent optical mouse that has more than 400 DPI and using the mouse is perfectly fine in 8 for pretty much everything. I haven't even bothered to use keyboard shortcuts lately.
    I would say it's "optimized for touch". I've used a mouse and a touchpad, and I'll say it's a little... um... "touchy". I mean, sure click here or there is fine. But closing an app, for example, is awkward (e.g., click-hold while swiping across the screen). Panning the screen is a bit of a pain with the mouse, but not so bad with a multi-touch touchpad. Overall, it's usable, sure. But it certainly doesn't make me say, "Wow, this is easier than using Aero", and it sometimes makes me say, "I think I'll stick with the desktop view". The Metro UI is the one thing that visibly really distinguishes Windows 8 from prior versions and on the desktop it's... meh.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Posts : 99
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64


    Ah, I gotcha. I have no doubt that touch on Metro would be preferable to using a mouse to navigate. A mouse is certainly doable though, unless it's an older mouse with a low dpi, or dare I say, a ball mouse. I switched my mouse to 450DPI just now and it was terrible. Currently using 1800-3500 (switch back and forth sometimes).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Using a stylus is using touch. A finger can be used for most navigation, a stylus for a little more precision. So no need for a mouse. I think you're doing the touch thing wrong?

    That would be good, having a phone being operated from a PC, but again, seeing as how you'd need to be in front of a PC to do that, I don't think would be attractive to most people. Interesting yes, appealing to most, not so much...
    I can't be using touch incorrectly, because I'm not using it (Windows 8 has been deleted from my tablet and my PC doesn't have touch monitors).

    A stylus is generally used for specialist applciations, such as photo editing, drawing etc, where a finger simply doesn't provide adequate precition, though it can be used for pecking when using tiny phone screens.

    Actually, being able to connect a phone to a PC/notebook/tablet and use the phone interface almost natively is excellent and would appeal to many people. At home, if I receive text messages etc on the phone, I can simply connect it to the PC and use the PC to type and respond, rather than battling with the phone keyboard/screen.

    When I'm out and about and need internet etc, I connect the phone to the tablet and can emulate the PC/phone capability I have at home. I tether the phone rather than use the tablet capability, because that means I only need one SIM card and account (for mobile and data) and my phone has significantly better reception than the tablet. A lot of business people and those who are frequently out and about would find this capability very handy.

    Many people, when at home, may be lounging around with their tablet, with the mobile phone charging or whatever, so why not be able to wirelessly have the mobile phone connect to the tablet, so that you can use it directly from the tablet. Most of today's generation apparently don't use a mobile phone for voice anyway, so being able to text, mms etc via the tablet would be ideal.

    A mobile phone, tablet/notebook, PC are all different tools for different purposes, none of them will likely ever become redundant and just because mobile phone sale will surpass that of other devices, is really only because these things become redundant almost annually, especially if on plans; whereas, PCs/notebooks/tablets usually see much longer term useage (other than Apple devices).
    Yeah, styluses are used for those purposes. It's like using a pencil to draw something or sketch versus finger painting.

    You know, I have think, why not just cut out the physical phone part altogether? I was considering signing up for an SMS service for Outlook, and using Skype for calling. On a tablet, use a SIM card for data, do the same.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    you just agree'd with me....you need a touch device...confused.
    What part of "If you want to use touch.." and "If you don't want to use touch" is agreeing with you?


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    the tablet market will hit a brick wall of tech advances far far sooner, you can only shrink a dye so far before you reach a point of no progress with current silicon based chips, the desktop market is no different on that front either. when it happens for tablets is decided when the consumers get what they need out of a tablet and don't need anything more, that's not decided by tech firms that's decided by consumers.
    Unlike current desktop processors, there's far more to a mobile processor than just shrinking the die. New power management techniques, more graphics capability (since graphics are now built-into most cpu's at this level), more cores, etc.. Shrinking the die does help with current drain, but Intel is still doing di shrinks and is on track for several more of them. One thing mobile CPU's don't have to worry about is packaging, because they don't have to be socketed, they can be soldered to the motherboard (and almost always are) so the number of pins is not a factor in the design.

    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    you should have done some checking, the ipad 4 doesn't exist, it is the ipad 3 just with some minor changes so it's just the ipad 3.5 or maybe i missed the massive marketing campaign for the ipad 4. in any case it is still sold as the ipad...not the ipad 3 not the ipad 4 just ipad and those sales are dropping.
    Actually, it's called the "4th generation" ipad, and it's brand name is "iPad with Retina Display". While the "3rd generation" ipad was branded as "The new iPad". And I wouldn't call it minor changes.. it has a new CPU that's twice as fast, has a new cellular chipset for LTE support, a better camera, Lightning port, and a doubling of WiFi speed.

    It's certainly evolutionary, but it's not like they just slapped some more memory in it and put a new label on it. And if you have an iPad 3, it may not be worth the upgrade unless you're on Verizon.

    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    and i was refering to apples market share that has dropped to 50% on all tablet revisions models types pick one....
    and yet they've already sold millions of them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    maybe you shouldn't be so quick to infer a point and decide and argument is dead when it wasn't an argument just mere fact based on the sales, oh and that was over the last 2 sales quarters a 6 month period where apple have seen a decline in sales.

    i'm starting to think you just want an argument for the sake of it.
    If you want to post facts, you'll get no argument from me. It's when you editorialize it, and make comments about the facts that you get argument. Also, your facts should be correct, or you will get corrected.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    This is the kind of argument that generates so much controversy, because it's based on a false premise. Your premise is that if you have touch, you don't have a keyboard or mouse. That's simply not the case. You can use touch *IN ADDITION* to your keyboard and mouse, so you can use touch when it's convenient (for instance, using gestures or to do quick selections or rotations or objects) and a keyboard when that's convenient (of course if you are on a tablet without an attached keyboard, you only have touch and an on-screen keyboard).

    Nobody is trying to take away your keyboard or your mouse, so please stop pretending they are.
    You've pretty much validated what I've said. You use touch to basically peck at things, but as soon as you need to do something more complex, you need a keyboard/mouse. Once you need to carry around a keyboard/mouse, you're going to use that anyway, as it becomes far more convenient. Also, for programs that require a keyboard/mouse, gestures are usually completely redundant.

    If no one is trying to take away the keyboard/mouse, why take away the functionality of the Windows 7 desktop? Also, why the requirement for 1366x768 screen resolution, why doesn't Windows 8 work with any screen resolution?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You know, I have think, why not just cut out the physical phone part altogether? I was considering signing up for an SMS service for Outlook, and using Skype for calling. On a tablet, use a SIM card for data, do the same.
    Often the physical phone is a very valid tool. You hardly want to carry around a tablet or similar when you go shopping, but having a phone with you is handy. I smart phone is like a Swiss Army Knife, it can do a lot of handy things to get you out of a bind, buit it's not a substitute for a tool kit. But you're not likely to be carrying around a tool kit all the time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista
Related Threads
I would this feature be place in windows 8.1 it was good Hidden Icons feature.
I really need a windows vista iso which doesn't take forever to download, I don't want any torrents either.
Solved My windows vista crashed in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi I am wanting help I was removing programmes from my add remove programmes , which seemed fine . The next day I switched my Acer laptop 7730 on and windows corrupt file kept coming up quite a few , then the thing just went off and it would not reboot again. I could not do a system restore there...
Hi Guys. I am considering upgrading from windows vista to windows 8, but one thing I am not sure of, are games that play on Vista or XP ( Myst Series. Rhem.etc) playable on windows 8? I have too many games to mention here, but would be grateful if anyone could help me. Much appreciated. Thanks....
As title really. What are the chances of Windows 8 being to Windows 7 what Vista was to XP? Everyone seems to be very happy with Windows 7 so do you not think that Windows 8 will flop and everyone will just keep with 7?
To see the bug, follow these steps: 1. Go to the desktop, 2. Right Click on the desktop and make new shortcut, 3. On the Make Shortcut dialog, press cancel, 4. Right Click again, you will see a new menu: Undo New CTRL+Z 11945
A way to use VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition) on x64 Windows with signed drivers from Oracle: (see next post)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook